Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 21:23   #1

Boat: TJ34, previously owned: Willard 30, Willard 40
4-108 Repower

I am planning to replace my perkins 4-108 engine in my Willard 30. I would like to know what engnes others have decided on for a similar repower. The Beta 38 looks like a good one but I wonder what experience folks have had with this or others of similar (i.e. ~35hp) power

Thanks
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:35   #2

Boat: 1950's Lakes Cruiser
Re: 4-108 repower

Welcome aboard rpackard. I joined this forum a couple of months ago and have received more help that I could have ever imagined. I now know more about my Perkins 4.108 than the local mechanic, all learned from this forum. I am told that the Perkins 4.108 is an old but very reliable engine - why do you want to replace it ? - i am going to keep an eye on this thread because in time I also might have to replace the Perkins 4.108. In my travels through this forum there have been some threads on this engine replacement (not sure where though) - do a search - MVR
MV-Romnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:56   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome!
4-108 is a great engine but if its very tired and won't run anymore then maybe its time for a repower. I had a very good Prkins 4-107 (nearly identical) in my old boat that just kept going and going.
Tell the forum the symptoms of your engine and maybe it can be made good for 20 more years.
When you do a search use the first green tool bar at the top of the screen. You'll get better results than the portal search engine.
kind regards,
Old 30-08-2012, 14:26   #4

If I were you I would give some serious thought to having the engine overhaul. You have a good basic engine that fits the boat. No matter what other engine you put in you’ll have to do a lot of rewiring, re-plumbing, remounting and reconnecting this that and the other things. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 15:01   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I repowered with the Beta 38 and it is a great engine. Much lighter that the 4-108. It is a 1.5 liter 4 cyl. A little smaller displacement. Back in the "Day" the 4-108 was often used because it was one of the few small diesels available. Mant boats were overpowered but there was little else to choose from.

I have 1000 hours on my Beta and the oil is still clear. (I change it every (150-200 hrs.) easily serviced from the front. I looked at everything available and I would do this again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repower5.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	45803  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 15:28   #6

Boat: Tartan 4100

I have basically the same engine, she's a Westerbeke 40, but it's on the 4-108 block and she's also 35 years old and still ticking. Sure, she leaks a little oil, but that's a small price compared to say 12 grand on a replacement. I have a friend that does re-builds and his opinion is that this a one of the most reliable engines ever built and if the engine is still running fairly well, it is a far better investment to repair what you have than replace it. Now on the other hand, if it threw a rod or something catastrophic, then you may have a good argument for a replacement. The Nanni 38 may be a good choice as well. Both the Nanni and the Beta are based on the Kubota engine and parts would be available at most farm and tractor supply places.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 15:32   #7

Boat: Endeavour 37

I would just like to add my two cents to Florida Mike's two cents. I am also looking at eventually repowering or rebuilding my 4108. There appears to be a number of reputable companies that will provide a drop in rebuild at a fraction of the cost of a new engine of another make. If the little engine wasn't so darn reliable I would consider a new Westerbeke but I think I'll take that 10k difference and put in a nice below deck autopilot.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 15:35   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100

Oh, the other consideration is the biggy.........How old is your boat and how long do you plan on keeping her. If you think that one day, you'll upgrade to a bigger boat, then fix what you have....you'll never recoupe your investment. For example, if the market value of your boat is say 50K and you plop down another 12K into a repower, then you will need to sell her for at least 62 to 65K to break even(or thereabout). Do you think someone will pay that much extra if the only difference is a new engine? On the otherhand, if you plan on keeping her 'till death do you part, then you're in it for the long haul and it would be worth considering.

My three cents...
Tom
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 15:41   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i LOVE my 4-108 and would rebuild it if i needed to repower. this boat used to have a westerfreke--blown up--and i replaced it--finally got the bugs out of it (i hope) and is a purring kitten. i love it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 15:45   #10

We repowered with a Beta 38 and couldn't be happier.

The parts are everywhere. You can call the guys on the phone in NC and they'll pick up and walk you through a problem (even when it was my fault) and laugh about it. Great support. Engine runs well and sips fuel.

We thought of rebuilding our old motor too, but for the cost/time/expense of redoing the whole engine room and replacing everything, the few extra $$$ to buy brand new was worth it.
Old 30-08-2012, 15:47   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you wish to cruise mexico fr=or extended time--there are many 4-108s and many guys knowing how to fix em and find parts for em..... just sayin...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 16:38   #12

Boat: Columbia, 43 "Tranquilo"

I recently replaced my 4-108 with a unit from TAD. Kept my flywheel, bell housing, starter, tranny and v-drive and bolted it on the fresh 4-108. I'm very satisfied and no changes needed to be done to the engine room but a good clean up.
Tranquilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:33   #13

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat

I would like to tell you a little story about my Perkins 4-108. Around two years ago it was time to either repower or rebuild the old leaking motor I had.

I started by doing research online to weigh my options. The first thing I learn was that at the time most people that did repower went with either a yanmar 39hp or a Beta 38hp, I found that new Yanmar's ran around $9,998.00 with the gear drive and a Beta was about $1,000 cheaper with either one I would have to change the prop.

I then looked into rebuilding the motor, I have never rebuilt a motor before so I knew I would have to find a place to have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt motor. The prices I found to have the motor rebuilt was close to $5,000 and the price for a replacement rebuilt from Transatlantic diesel was around $8,000. What I found was a rebuilt Perkins 4-108 from Jobbers inc. out of PA that claim to have been rebuilding motors for 60 years the Price from them was $5,500 plus core.

I placed my order with Jobbers inc. and received the motor within 4 weeks when the motor arrived it looked very nice but I was very confused due to the motor had glow plugs, after contacting them I was told the motor came out of a front end loader but was told it would not matter.

After I had the motor installed and the first time to run I was shocked to learn the Head had a crack in it, I was on the Phone so fast contacting Jobbers inc. they in turn found a head on Ebay and had it drop ship to me in Florida, After replacing the head witch now did not have glow plugs I was ready to run the motor. Boy was I shocked to learn the Motor had 5 psi Oil pressure, well time to pull the motor again just to find that the wrong Oil Pump was installed.

I then had the motor back in and running, alittle white smoke but not bad, I figured it was in fine tuning so after a few days I take the boat out for a test drive. Oil psi, temp, Volts all looked great I spent about 6 hours playing on the river.

Two weeks later I still have light wight smoke but decide to give it a chance to break in some before I address this more.

I set off for a trip north but after 18 Miles the motor dies and I found a marina and get docked over the next few days the motor would start fine and run fine at the dock but would die on its face under a load away from the dock so I decide to call in a pro ( L&J Diesel Services) out of Jacksonville FL. to come take a look. the service man comes and spends 4 hours working on the motor and tells me the Injector pump fell apart and with the other problems I told him about he thought the motor needed to be pulled out again. this was done a week later and sent to L&J's shop for the repairs.

After 6 weeks and another $2,500 I received the Motor back and told the light white smoke would go away on its own and the motor ran fine.

This is now 6 moths and over $10,000 for this rebuilt motor, the motor was installed again running great at the dock in gear changing rpm shifting. I then take the boat out and wow to dies again. i return to the dock and call L&J to be told it has to be something on the shaft or in the transmission hoping for the cheaper of the two I get a driver to go check the shaft for rope or anything but nothing was found. I found it hard to believe that it could be the transmission but pulled the motor and transmission and took it to Case Transmission Jacksonville FL. and ask him to check it.

At this same time my wife was in the hospital so I ask him to call me if he had found anything, I did not hear a word from him for a week so after placing a call to Case I was told the transmission was ready to be picked up. I was so confused at this point I go the next day to pick up the transmission while there I ask what was found wrong and was told nothing but he decided to rebuild it because of the problems I told him about. it was another $2,300.

At this point everything is installed and I do the same at the dock test and things seam fine, I take the boat out for a test and after 3 hours the motor dies again but this time it will not restart. I return to the dock and start checking what could be wrong as you can hear the starter turning over but the motor is not cranking, I first think it is the starter not kicking in so I remove it and have it rebuilt for $195 after reinstalling it the motor still would not crank over but the starter was spinning I again remove the starter and find the flywheel will move by hand as I have not pulled the motor back out yet I am not 100% sure if the Flywheel bolts broke or why but this is where I am right now.

So after all that I would say buy a new motor and have it installed.
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 17:49   #14

I replaced my Perkins 4-108 with the BETA 39.5 hp. I have been to Belize and back twice, Bahamas, Roatan Honduras. The GPS says 5000 miles traveled. I sail but the motor is running 1/2 the time maybe 3/4. Have not needed any parts or worked on it since I did my own install 6 years ago. Ok I do change the oil ,filters and Stanley at Beta marine did remind me to adjust the valves at 800-1000? hours , I checked them but they were factory perfect. 1/2 gal/hr at 5 knots, lighter, smaller. The accessory's is whats kills you on a rebuild. With the Beta package you get new everything. Here is a link to a write up I did. Betamarine. I have never regretted going with the new Beta with the trans attached and ready to go. there are plenty of bad rebuild stories. Good luck Oh and the 100 amp alternator has been abused , really abused and still works great with the Beta alternator control. Perfect engine and perfect service .
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:15   #15

I suggest calling Foley - http://www.foleyengines.com/products...FaZcMgodZycAbA
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower