Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2022, 15:58   #1

4108 injector pump

Hello, been reading lots here on the Perkins 4108.
I’ve run into a bit of a problem. I pulled the injector pump and replaced the seals , I was getting fuel in oil pan.
I believe I have put everything back together correctly. I can’t get the engine to fire. I have bled several times. Was never this hard to start before.
Background: I did not note position of fuel pump when I removed it. I have followed the directions in the manual for setting engine at TDC.#1 on compression stroke. To verify that intake valve is closed exhaust valve is closed as well pin on back of block lines up with this. Injector pump was lined up with A mark and actually seems a bit forward of tDC. Think that makes it fire at 18• BTDC. If I’m thinking correctly. Followed directions for bleeding out of manual. I’m getting fuel no bubbles up to injectors. But she’s not firing.
I have not checked my injectors. No way to bench test. New washers installed.
Other than atomizers, what are other options. I did change govener screw. But did my best to keep in the same place. The lower adjustment I did change. I’m unsure of how to change this adjustment. Or if I need to worry about it.
I’m going to recheck timing, on engine and fuel pump. And see what I can do with injectors. Watched the Perkins video earlier on servicing them. Just don’t have the fancy kit.
Any thoughts or leads let me know.
Thanks in advance.
FYI the diesel is aux power on my boat SV Ardent Spirit a West Indies 38 by Heritage Yachts AKA Charlie Morgan
Flblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 21:22   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: 4108 injector pump

Bunch of videos on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+injector+pump
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:44   #3

Boat: Moody 376

Fl blues

I rebuilt my fuel injection pump earlier this year and put all new seals in, mine was leaking at the throttle shaft. I too had trouble starting. I too made sure that my set screws were put back in the same place (counted threads) didn't matter.

I had to go nearly full throttle to get the engine to fire up. at full throttle I was only running about 1500 rpm. took some time to re-adjust the setscrews to get things dialed in.
marcjsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 00:36   #4

So as update 8/9/22
I pulled injectors again and was thinking about it. Mainly doing reading on this site. My 4108 won’t start threads. There’s several dealing with similar issues. So, most common thought was I was 180 out on my timing. I pulled everything apart again. Actually felt that cylinder #1was on compression stroke . Moved crank backwards to what I approximated to be 18 degrees before TDC. Set my fuel pump up so that A lined up with c clip under inspection port. Pump popped right in like no searching checking that splines lined up. I’m now almost wanting to fire off. It’s like it wants to and started too. Just won’t grab
Plus my starter was getting way hot. I spent to day rewiring starter heavy gauge wire on ground as well. Read it’s critical to have good battery juice. Just working on bleeding it was tough on my batts and only had a 10 amp charger hooked up.
Anyways, I’ve hopefully got my charging and wiring up to snuff. I did strip the bloody bleed on top of fuel filter. So, have to repair replace that. Don’t seem to be making oil . The start of this whole project.
Tomorrow, bleed bleed bleed, and adjust timing on via changing pump alignment on block. Bleeding first. With batteries well charged. I do have throttle wide open right now and it seemed as if she wanted to go just bleeding first cleanser up yo atomizer. Again, almost coulda cooked eggs on starter plus wiring was getting hot. So all of that is changed up. Tomorrow should be the day.
I really appreciate the knowledge passed around here.
Manana por la mansna
Flblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:44   #5

4108 injector pump

It’s time to warn you of the danger to your engine caused by overcranking. Hopefully the seacock is closed and you avoid a hydrolock. The injector pump has a master spline, it can only go in the same way regardless of where the crankshaft is rotated to.
Which seal did you replace in the injector pump? I’m curious to know how you diagnosed the injector pump as the source of the diesel in the lube oil, did you do a static case pressure test?
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
injector pump, pump