Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 13:29   #16

Boat: NA
Shoalcove,

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the email a try.

Larry
Old 09-01-2010, 15:01   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I have a manual, if you need any special info.
Old 15-01-2010, 19:28   #18

any Pathfinder for sale?

Hi,
Is there anyone selling a used Pathfinder VW diesel engine in good or bad condition?
I know those engine pretty well, so it would not be too hard for me to fix it.
I have installed one in my VW Westfalia van.

Martin, in Montreal.
martincn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:41   #19

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I love the VW diesels,my Passat is a 1.9L tdi with 230k and has been totally reliable,my son has just put the same engine in a VW Corrado.I too would like to pick up a used Pathfinder or the parts to convert a Rabbit engine.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 21:56   #20

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Pathfinder contact info still good

I was in Montreal last month and called Pathfinder. John answered the phone, confirmed Pathfinder is a going concern, selling engines. I do not recall whether they sell parts, but he said he is able to provide me a manual specific to my own Pathfinder if I provide the engine serial number.

A search of www.ic.gc.ca, a Canadian government registry of companies, lists 514-695-6676 as the phone number, 514-695-1080 as the fax number, and pathfinder@pathfinder.com as the e-mail address. John Scherer is listed as a manager.

Of interest, I found Pathfinder Marine Inc. by following one guy's online rant about the company. Not having had any contact with either the boatowner or the company, my sympathies go to the company. For me, it proves the old saying that all publicity is good publicity-it was my fastest route to finding Pathfinder.

I have no useful comments yet about the engine-I have become the volunteer mechanic for an Islander 44 schooner and this is the original engine-still running despite a truly reckless and irresponsible owner (my friend) who has done next to no maintenance on it for 20 years.
Captain Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 23:31   #21

Well, tell him to keep an eye on the 'timing belt idler pulley'. This one broke the cam in two places, bent 4 valves, toasted 6 tappets and three shims. Around $900 just in parts.
It was idling when it went so no harm to the pistons or cylinders, other then that it ran pretty good w/just 7000 hours. I've talked to some guys with them in the little Rabbit trucks and they have 3 times that 7000 (350,000 miles).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3506.JPG
Views:	1224
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	20005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3510.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	20006  

Old 11-10-2010, 08:31   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Captain Lee.

Thanks for the Pathfinder contact information. We look forward to hearing more, as you gain practical experience with your friend’s abused engine.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 21:31   #23

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Orange Pathfinder

Thanks for the comments, GordMay and Delmarrey. Delmarrey, the photo of your engine is excellent because the idler pulley does look prominently missing. Mine is that same bright orange color-quite a standout.
Captain Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 21:37   #24

Yeah! It's called Chevy Orange. One can get it in the auto parts stores.
Old 11-10-2010, 21:53   #25

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I owned a '78 Rabbit with a diesel engine in it (first new car I purchased) and it ran great. Turned it into a delivery car for my company when it had about 100k miles on it and it continued to run fine. Eventually, it rusted out and had to be junked but not before it gave many years of economical service.

I also owned an Islander Freeport 36 that was equipped with with a Pathfinder. We found the engine to be very reliable - in 1994, we cruised up into the Sea of Cortez and then bashed back to San Diego. The location of the engine made it very quiet in the cockpit, relatively speaking. We had installed a high-output alternator on it but other than that, it was original and virtually trouble-free.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine