Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 14:58   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
50hp Perkins 104 Service.

My 50hp Perkins 104 Deisel engine is due for its 100 hour service. This time I would like to learn how, and do it myself. I have done my own car servicing/ oil changes before.
I was hoping someone could post a list and tips on what needs to be done, so that I don't miss something important.
I also want to change the oil in the gearbox.
Thanks Jeff
Old 23-01-2014, 17:31   #2

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments
Re: 50hp Perkins 104 Service.

Give details on the engine: year, total hrs, last time anti freeze was changed, radiator cap changed before, Is the engine a "new line" with a Bowman heat exchanger? Last time exhaust elbow was changed? Does the engine leak oil? That answer is obvious, but how much? Are you running a Hurth Tranny? Model number? Talk to group about what you have and what you want to do. Otherwise change the oil with a 30w diesel oil and use a quality filter(not a Fram).
If you run a high output alternator, when was belt (s) changed? Last time valves were adjusted?
Alan
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 18:13   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya might try getting a service manuel off the net !! would help a bunch !!
Old 23-01-2014, 21:30   #4

Its a 50hp Perkins
104-19
Engine number KR30332U or ZU.
Code 907649C
I have a basic Workshop Manual and one downloaded from the net. They are very deatialed and complecated but don't set out a basic service and oil change.
I think I can manage the oil change on the engine and maybe the gearbox. There are some anodes in the heat exchanger and an additional filter on the engine that looks allot like a second, smaller oil filter but I suspect its to do with the fuel system?
Here are some pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine2.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	74532
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine1.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	74531
Are there any special tools that would make things easier ie. Manual oil pump for extracting and replacing the oil ect.
Jeff
Old 23-01-2014, 21:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo1181 View Post
Give details on the engine: year, total hrs, last time anti freeze was changed, radiator cap changed before, Is the engine a "new line" with a Bowman heat exchanger? Last time exhaust elbow was changed? Does the engine leak oil? That answer is obvious, but how much? Are you running a Hurth Tranny? Model number? Talk to group about what you have and what you want to do. Otherwise change the oil with a 30w diesel oil and use a quality filter(not a Fram).
If you run a high output alternator, when was belt (s) changed? Last time valves were adjusted?
Alan
The belt is new and so is the airfilter
The engine had a complete overhaul and service 100 hours ago.
I cant say for shore what ours she has done, part of the prev service was to install anew hour meter. The old one read 890 hours. I suspect its a bit low.
She runs well and doesn't apear to leak any oil.
The heat exchanger is made by Bowman. I am not shore of the model.
The transmision is a Velvit Drive Hydraulic transmition. I think its a AS2-70C??
Thanks.
Old 25-01-2014, 00:09   #6
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

On the v drive check the oil colour before /during - changing.
It should be red and nothing else.
On the engine check the oil colour smell and feel. Very gross tests I know.. but will let you know if something big is imminent.

Then fluids filters and belts...
Some things to note.. check the timing belt/chain.
Consider cleaning out the heat exchanger core.
Check the engine mounts.
Have a close look at the block water pump.. check for seeps.
Check the state of the water pump">raw water pump impeller and check for corrosion and leaks.

Check the prop seal and shaft bolts.

Check the exhaust color... Rich lean.. adjust as appropriate.

The use it some... And repeat!

The users manual has the maintenance schedule.
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 15:38   #7

Thanks MUB. There are alot of things on that list that I didn't think about and will have to read up on.

On another note. When I bought the boat, over 2 years ago now. The engine had a revving problem. It would not rev over 1900rpm, we flattened the batteries one day and had to leave the motor running for a couple of hours to get everything fully recharged. At the same time we got a mechanic to call in and have a look at the revving problem. He came on board after the motor had been running for a couple of hours and when he revved it up, presto. She revved over 2200 rpm. The problem had fixed itself..
Well, it’s doing it again.
The engine will only rev to 1900rpm while in neutral (cable connected and disconnected) and only t 1100rpm when under load.
The only difference this time is that there may have been a trigger for it. The last time I filled up, I forgot to put the fuel back on when I motored away and promptly sucked air into the fuel system. It took quite an effort to bleed the system as the air was right back to the valve on the fuel tank. She eventually splattered back to life and runs smoothly ever since, but at reduced revs?
Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on??
You can rule out accelerator cables and linkages.
Jeff

Tags
perkins, service