Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2021, 18:51   #1

Boat: Hardin 45
65 Hp Ford Lehman Died at 2200 rpm

Did a survey and sea trial of a 1982 Hardin 45 (hull 117) yesterday. Waiting for the report, but the one big thing that causes us concern is the engine. It's a 65 hp Ford Lehman 4D220 diesel w/ appx 6,700 hrs. Rebuilt in 1999 (appx. 5,200 hrs. since rebuild). Injectors refurbished in 2021.

We were on the sea trial and the engine was doing fine at 1700 rpm. The surveyor asked the owner at the helm to start pushing it. It was still fine at 2100, but as soon as it hit 2200, it was like an emergency break was pulled and it instantly screeched to a halt. The owner checked it, then came back up and it started right up without another issue. Didn't push it past 1800 after that.

I'm new to all of this and don't know a lot about engines, but that didn't seem to be something to be considered "normal"

Thoughts? Suggestions?
krissyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 04:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 65 Hp Ford Lehman Died at 2200 rpm

No, not normal, but it doesn't need to mean that the engine is junk. It sounds like a fuel restriction, which could be due to a clogged filter or fuel line.
Old 20-11-2021, 08:09   #3

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

Yes, definitely not normal. Lehmans are solid engines but this is why you do a sea trial. Fixing the issue is on the owner, not you. They need to contract with a diesel mechanic to get the problem fixed, provide documentation for what has been done, and re-do the sea trial.

The other alternative is to guess at what the problem is and what the cost to repair might be, and negotiate a repair allowance - but now the risk is on your shoulders. I'd suggest the former unless the owner wants to sell fast and is willing to put up enough of an allowance that you're likely to come out ahead.
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 08:51   #4

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Pay particular attention to any sections of the fuel hose that are not solid tubing. Fuel hose has been known to soften/weaken, and under greater fuel demand, the interior of the tube may collapse suddenly, choking off the flow of fuel. When the fuel demand is reduced, the tube will allow enough fuel to run the engine at lower rpm. Since the engine shut down suddenly, I am leaning more toward hose than filters, although the filters do bear looking at as well.

Just curious, what is the max continuous rpm for that engine? Also, what speed through the water did you obtain at 2200 rpm?
Best of luck troubleshooting, and please let us know what you figure out!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 09:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Ford lehman 65 hp have many,many different model different year. But he have 65 HP +-5% (read -5%) on 2500 rpm when be new on test bench when make certificate this line of engine. Now this engine is very,very old. And like all old life/staff lose minimum 10-15 HP . Propeler is 100% now to big for the old aging engine. on side of engine, you have max rpm for this engine.
And your surveyor is a very stupid guy.he push 30+ year old engine with 7000 hour to max rpm.
this engine is max rpm underload when be new is 2000 rpm
economical RPM is 1500 rpm

i forget agricultural Lehman 4D220 Diesel Engine have max 1600 rpm and industrial 1800 rpm and automotive 2400 rpm. who know who make marinization for this engine.

more data https://everythingaboutboats.org/lehman-4d220/
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 10:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I would not give anything on "more's" comments as engines will not loose rpm but compression. Well some and most of the new scrap. These Ford engines will not even have glow plugs as the compression is soo high. They are self ignitors.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 10:34   #7

Boat: Passport 41

My Brother in laws trawler has Ford Lehmans and we found the small fuel line between the fuel pump and filters if I recall to be clogged /or deteriorated. Took a while to do process of elimination but found some glu like contamination from the line and replacement solved the issue.
mokkerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 13:10   #8

Boat: Mariner36

We had that happen, replaced all the fuel lines and haven't had any problems since, knock on wood.
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 13:18   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Just be on your way to another boat to tryout with a running engine.
Might be something small, but it might not be and costs serious coin.
Surely the owner had a comment? Even if just bs.
Old 20-11-2021, 14:25   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Ford & Lehman "Fixes" that need to be accomplished before the engine suffers damage:

Fix engine misfire before injection pump governor and internal engine damage results.
Fix fuel injection pump lubricant before injection pump & governor damage results.
Fix engine oil filter hoses and attachment before internal engine damage results.
Fix engine oil cooler before cooler fails and engine damage results.
Fix engine drive gears before gears fail and serious internal engine damage results.
Fix "Two Shaft" water pump">raw water pump before shaft fails and engine overheat damage results.
Fix Exhaust Elbow before engine overheating or hydrolocking results.
Flush water jacket around rear-most cylinder and fit rear coolant fitting.
Test and maintain engine coolant to prevent corrosion at wet liner cylinder seals.
Fix coolant cap and flange, and fit coolant return tank to prevent scored piston.
Fix coolant hoses before they fail and engine overheat damage results.
Fix cause of premature engine drive belt failure before belt fails.
Properly store spare drive belts in order to get home without a second failure.
Fix substandard engine wiring before faults cause serious failures.
Fix transmission fluid cooler before cooler fails and transmission damage results.
Fix Velvet-Drive CR2 pinion nut before nut loosens and destroys transmission.

read more with instruction
https://everythingaboutboats.org/lehman-4d220/
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 15:41   #11

Over-revving and the cut-out operated.

From memory the Ford Lehmann is limited to 1800 rpm.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 15:56   #12

Sounds like a marginal size engine for that big boat. How fast was she going? That boat's a bit like a motorsailor and I would want the 80hp or 100+.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 18:14   #13

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sounds like a marginal size engine for that big boat. How fast was she going? That boat's a bit like a motorsailor and I would want the 80hp or 100+.

Possibly… but not my experience. We have a 47’, 42000 lb boat with a 65 hp (on a good day) Perkins.

It’s plenty of power for maneuvers, and we get to hull speed in moderate conditions. Where I miss more power is heavy chop or 40kt+ on the nose. In those conditions we’re crawling and you have to plan carefully- you don’t have the reserves to get you out of the yogurt if you end up there.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hardin, lehman, rpm