Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 07:42   #31

Boat: Ta Chiao 56
Re: 7/8 inch Hose barbs? !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post

My seawater pump is a Sherwood F85. I looked it up and it and it shows it is bushed down to 1/2" ports from 3/4", (snip)
For the more machinist orientated, would it be feasible to tap 3/4" NPT threads into the existing pump if it's not bushed or are the 1/2" NPT to close in size? My pump is older and I don't think it has a reducing bushing.
The pump you linked to is a G-65, that's why it has bushings. The original F-85 had 1/2" ports, and there is definitely not enough meat on it to drill and tap to 3/4 NPT.

The 1/2" NPT nipple suggestion is sound. A few years back when I replaced the manifold on my 1978 Atomic 4, and found that the cooling hose connection from the manifold to the exhaust elbow was, in fact, a cut-off pipe nipple. In fact, I built up a replacement elbow using 316 SS pipe nipples and fittings, and silver brazed a cutoff 1/4" nipple into it for the water.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:56   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

[QUOTE=jimbunyard;3079082]Let's try this one last time.

Westerbeke's knowledge of their market is beginning to show.

Jim I feel your pain I enjoyed the bit about the market

https://fastfittings.com/products/1-...eel-316-nipple

Repeat cut: one threaded end off a nipple as shown in the link & push your hose onto the smooth pipe looking part
See post no.6 for instructions
Or just buy the Westerbeke part
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 09:21   #33

Look on Amazon.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 11:19   #34

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eceavchss View Post
My Universal M35B has a 1/2NPT x 7/8 hose fitting on the water pump">raw water pump. The P/N is 030183 and they are under $25.

This has to be the most cost/time effective solution!
Old 28-02-2020, 14:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
My Westerbeke has unusual size raw-water hose and I'm having trouble finding a 1/2 NPT x 7/8" hose barb.

The PO had used tape over 3/4" hose barbs! I had a plumber fabricate some out of 7/8" copper tubing for a stopgap. They've worked but they're relatively thin and I have had one fail. I'd like to use a proper heavy bronze fitting for peace of mind. In the meantime, I still have a couple of spares from the plumber.

Yes, I know can spend $140 (plus shipping) to get one from Westerbeke, part #32230. It's a really nice-looking machined fitting, but I'd rather not patronize thieves if I can help it. I don't doubt this engine could've been plumbed with 3/4" hose but was instead done so with the odd size so that I'd buy from them.

Does anyone have any ideas besides swallowing my pride and forking over $150 for a small hose barb? I've searched high and low on the internet.

I have been boating (small motorized boats) for 50 years and often get upset over the price of parts. If, in the end, I can't find a part for a reasonable price; I bite the bullet and get on with the enjoyment of my boat. I feel better much sooner that way. These things remain in the back of my mind for the next time I buy a boat.

That said, a machine shop may very well be the way. The setup charge will probably be the biggest expense and you may be able to get a spare for not much more. Maybe get a few more and get your money back selling them on eBay.
rbthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:22   #36
rla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbthorson View Post
I have been boating (small motorized boats) for 50 years and often get upset over the price of parts. If, in the end, I can't find a part for a reasonable price; I bite the bullet and get on with the enjoyment of my boat. I feel better much sooner that way. These things remain in the back of my mind for the next time I buy a boat.

That said, a machine shop may very well be the way. The setup charge will probably be the biggest expense and you may be able to get a spare for not much more. Maybe get a few more and get your money back selling them on eBay.

Probably easier and quicker is to find a welder with st.steel TIG and get him to put a run of weld arond the barb area of the stainless offering. 20 mins and some cash in hand..bingo end of problem for years !!
rla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 16:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla View Post
Probably easier and quicker is to find a welder with st.steel TIG and get him to put a run of weld arond the barb area of the stainless offering. 20 mins and some cash in hand..bingo end of problem for years !!

Good idea. My main point was to not let such things get to you so you're unable to enjoy your boat. Sometimes you you just need to take it in the you know what and move on.
rbthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 18:21   #38

Boat: Schucker 436

Are there any Europeans or Asians out there that can chime in on this hose issue. Does the rest of the world use US size hoses, or are they using millimeter ID sizes. Just last week I couldn't find marine fuel hose that would properly fit on a new Kubota 21kw generator fuel return line barb. Standing by.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:41   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYNAIL View Post
Are there any Europeans or Asians out there that can chime in on this hose issue. Does the rest of the world use US size hoses, or are they using millimeter ID sizes. Just last week I couldn't find marine fuel hose that would properly fit on a new Kubota 21kw generator fuel return line barb. Standing by.
The rest of the world uses the metric system.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:30   #40

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Not sure my pride would be hurt paying the manufacturer their reference retail price for a part that they have sourced in the proper material, absorbed cost of purchase and storage and are willing to ship to you. Their policy of customer retail provides individuals access to parts while protecting their inventory stocking distributors. IMHO that is customer service. Not sure they deserve bashing.
Turtle Blues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:15   #41

Boat: O'Day 40

Universal sell the same part for $25.
My pride would definitely be hurt if I paid Westerbeke $140 for it.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:33   #42

Boat: Trlåren 31

bcboom,

The universal fitting is an 90° ell and the westerbeke one is a straight barb.

I think the universal fitting will work though. I just have to check that there won't be anything to interfere with the routing of the hose when I get back to the boat. Can't do that from here. I have two ports to try when I get there and only one needs to work.

I think it's the best choice considering cost, fit and time like you said earlier.

I'm grateful to eceavchss for posting it.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote