Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 09:20   #1

'74 Gulfstar MKII Perkins

Hey all. I'm a complete sailing newb and this is my first post, but I consider myself a fairly quick study and am not afraid to wrench. I've been shopping for a liveaboard now for a few months and came across this boat at a local marina. It needs a lot of work. The engine bay is nuts. The engine has been taken apart as someone has obviously found issues enough to remove the head with the cylinders exposed. From my googling, it appears this is a Perkins, though unsure of the model. The guy wants $3k for the boat, but it might take more than my budget to get the boat running. The requirement for the slip is that I must motor on my own power before I end up there. Honestly, I'd rather the engine worked too. Beyond the lack of good rigging, considering a worst-case scenario, can any of you please provide a ballpark estimate of what I'm looking at (money-wise) to resolve the engine issues? I plan on having a local diesel shop come take a look and give me best guess in a few weeks, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
loadedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 12:30   #2

Re: '74 Gulfstar MKII Perkins

Ok, found more info. It's a Perkins 4.108 and the current owner says someone checked out the engine and said it was good, which still doesn't quite explain why it's still taken apart. Red Flag #1. He says the main issue is the transmission appears to have locked up. I've contacted a local diesel shop and they tell me the transmission work will be around $1500 before the labor to remove the engine. The current owner can't tell me what type of transmission the boat is which is Red Flag #2. I'm going to check out the boat in more detail with someone much more experienced than myself this afternoon.
loadedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 13:24   #3

Loadedmind welcome to the forum!! go to facebook GulfStar owners sight. You will have to register and wait for approval. After just ask on the forum there. I have a G.S. 37, but it has a Volvo Penta in it so I can't help you. Which G.S. are you looking at??? !974 is the early yrs.! I believe to engine tag is on the back of the block, if still attached! If you go to the sight you should be able to get your answers! Anyway good luck
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 13:38   #4

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I had a perkins 4107 in my 1975 Gulfstar. The transmission was a borg warner 71c which I had rebuilt about 4 tears ago probably because I hit a submerged log while motoring. After sinking about $3000 into it for head rebuild and injector rebuild and injector pump rebuild I threw in the towel and bought a rebuilt Yanmar 4JHTE. The 4108 has been around for sometime and parts are easy to get. Not so for 4107 as I have been told. I would get the head checked and installed then do a compression check. If all is good then you should be OK with the engine.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstar, perkins