Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which motor would you buy?
9.9 Evinrude 2-stroke mid-80s for $650 20 66.67%
Honda B100L 4-stroke mid 80-s for $850 1 3.33%
Get in debt and buy a brand new Tohatsu 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 12:48   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
I still wouldn't pay 1/2 price for a 25+ year old outboard motor of unknown condition, no matter what the previous owner says.
The $650 for the Evinrude is less than half price. This is a little like comparing apples and oranges, but we bought a 9.9 Mercury about 5 years ago and it ran over $2,000. They are even more now.

That said, the $650 still seems a bit high to me, but I have not priced them in a while. On the high side or not, if it were me, I would stick with a Johnson or Evinrude if I were buying used. My 34-year-old Johnson 15hp still runs like a champ and cranks easily every time.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 12:56   #17

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Johnson and Evinrude are the same company...made in the same plants I think. I had never heard the term either.

AAHHhhhhh!!! How dumb can I be. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 12:20   #18

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
Hello again. Am I the only one concerned about reverse power? Don't any of you folks ever run aground and struggle to get enough power in reverse to back off? Or have a strong wind astern as you enter the slip and stop about 1 foot further into the slip than you would have liked because your outboard doesn't back down as strong as you like. Or am I the only one spoiled by inboard engines and their reverse power? My 9.8 Nissan just about spins free in reverse. Almost no power. Just the prop spinning in bubbles. Actually I have an old 2.2 merc that I think has better back up power. I just turn it 180 degrees and if pulls backwards as well as it does forward. Anybody with a fix? Please. Thanks Lloyd
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:09   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannpage View Post
Hello again. Am I the only one concerned about reverse power? Don't any of you folks ever run aground and struggle to get enough power in reverse to back off? Or have a strong wind astern as you enter the slip and stop about 1 foot further into the slip than you would have liked because your outboard doesn't back down as strong as you like. Or am I the only one spoiled by inboard engines and their reverse power? My 9.8 Nissan just about spins free in reverse. Almost no power. Just the prop spinning in bubbles. Actually I have an old 2.2 merc that I think has better back up power. I just turn it 180 degrees and if pulls backwards as well as it does forward. Anybody with a fix? Please. Thanks Lloyd

Newer outboards switch the exhaust in reverse so you don't have that problem. Pitch is still wrong in reverse but at least it is biting water and not air.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 11:50   #20

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Thanks everyone, I ended up going with a Johnny 9.9 sailmaster w/extra long shaft and electric start.

our 24-foot boat is close to 4500lbs, and there is actually a double berth under the cockpit so the weight of it was not an issue at all. A higher pitch prop moves the boat really well in both directions, and overall i'm pretty happy. Just needed to adjust the idle
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 12:19   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Good point. I have a freshwater only BF100 longshaft 9.9 Honda 4-stroke from the mid-80s...bought after 12 years of storage and successfully revived...but I paid $800 Cdn. for it...in 2000! Anyway, it still works well and is significantly less stinky and quieter than a two-stroke, but you feel every bit of that 105 lb. weight. I found even on a RIB I wanted a throttle extender to shift far enough forward so that I didn't stand the RIB on its transom. However, with the addition of a Doel fin, I could get on the plane easily and my RIB would blast around at 20 knots on flat water.

I had a similar year 2002 9.9 Mercury two-stroke short shaft that I just didn't like as much, although it was about 70 lbs. I sold that for $1,250 when I got a Portabote and a Honda 2HP my wife can lift in one hand...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:48   #22

Boat: grampian 26
Re: 9.9hp Outboard Dilemma

I realize that this is an older post but just so you know, I have a friends 82 Honda b1ool apart due to a trashed lower unit. The parts to repair it are as much as the motor is worth so he is caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I love Honda products but the prices for the parts tend to steer me away from them towards the Johnson- Evinrude offerings.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
Thanks everyone, I ended up going with a Johnny 9.9 sailmaster w/extra long shaft and electric start.

our 24-foot boat is close to 4500lbs, and there is actually a double berth under the cockpit so the weight of it was not an issue at all. A higher pitch prop moves the boat really well in both directions, and overall i'm pretty happy. Just needed to adjust the idle
A British Seagull Century Plus (nicknamed the barge-pusher) would handle a two ton boat with ease. Although they are nominally only 5HP they have a 13" diameter propeller with a 4:1 reduction gearbox. In England they often sell for about £100. OK they may look Heath Robinson and they are noisy but they go on and on for years. I recently moved a 1.1 ton bilge keel yacht (sailboat) with a Seagull model 40 (possibly it was a 40 plus) and it pushed the boat along just fine. Incidentally the Seagull model numbers are an indication of the motors thrust in pounds. If you get a very old one you will probably have to take off the cylinder head in order to remove the rust and crud from the water jacket. (shame that they weren't vitreous enamelled inside) Still most people can live with having to clean out the passageways every twenty years! Most outboards are built to drive skiffs that plane and they are mismatched when it comes to pushing a displacement hull.

Allegedly some inland waterways in Europe no longer allow 2 cycle motors and in Germany motors over 10HP can only be operated by adults.
Davey1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannpage View Post
Never had to worry about the running agound part with my CD25 and 9.9rude long shaft. Just jumped off and pushed. Don't most boats that take a small outboard have shallow drafts? By the way...bullet proof engine although I did toast a few coils from running it in the well with the hatch mostly closed.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard