Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 13:54   #61

Re: A little gasoline in the diesel

I had this problem a few years ago when a fuel dock boy handed me the gas hose instead of the diesel hose (old hoses both looked the same) Here is what I found after running the engine for 10 minutes to put the boat into the slip. Gas does not mix with the diesel, it is HEAVER and goes to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pickup pumps it into the Raycor glass filter where the clear gas sits on the bottom and the diesel floats on top. I was scheduled to go offshore the next day, the gas would have ruined my diesel engine. DO NOT run gas through your diesel engine! It will ruin it! We took the access port off of the tank, ran a hose to the bottom and sucked the gas out using a power drill driven pump. If you get gas in your diesel raycor, change the filter afterwards.
And always sniff your hose!
Wildcat_Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:11   #62

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

If they do settle out the diesel is more dense, and will settle to the bottom where the pickup tube is.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 22:15   #63

Should be fine, as others have said adding gas to diesel vehicles is normal in winter temperatures, it is actually in the Toyota manual. Your ratio is a little bit higher than ideal but the gas and diesel will mix just fine. Add a quart of 2 stroke oil for additional upper cylinder lubricant and keep the tank topped up. Should be a nice performance boost so don't go YOT.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:56   #64

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

I'm always amazed by commenting posters who haven't a clue but still chose to join in. With comments like gas is lighter , so it will float to the top... Add some octane booster to stop pinging . Here's is a comment you can bank on. At your small ratio of gas to diesel simply run it out by motoring at a moderate mid rpm engine speed. If you would be more comfortable with adding some lubrication add about two pints of Marvel mystery oil, that will add lubricant and clean the fuel system as well. That's advice from someone with 42 years of diesel engine experience, me.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:28   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabago View Post
5 gallons of petrol (gasoline) were added to my almost full 90 gallon diesel tank. So now there is a mixture with roughly 6% gasoline (petrol) and 94% diesel, and its full.

The engine is an older (2002) Ford 75 HP; no turbo charge and nothing fancy; just a basic diesel engine.

What to do ....

I've done some research. Conservative approaches are stop everything and pump everything out. Risks of lower lubrication; improper combustion timing, stuffing up the fuel pump, etc. But there is some info that if the mixture is a low enough percent of petrol that they were able to burn it off.

I am interested to hear if anyone has been in this situation and has successfully simply run through the fuel, perhaps frequently topping up the diesel to get the diesel percentage higher. And to hear if there were any longer term issues that came up from running the fuel through the engine.

It might run through the engine but you risk a vapor explosion in the crank case. Not worth the risk of damage compared to the repairs. Pump it out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:33   #66

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
It might run through the engine but you risk a vapor explosion in the crank case. Not worth the risk of damage compared to the repairs. Pump it out.
A valor explosion in the crankcase really, what would cause that in a diesel crankcase . What keeps a gas engine from having a "vapor explosion". This is getting weird ......
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 14:09   #67

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
That may depend on whatever frequency your crystals are in relation to any lunar radiation.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 14:14   #68

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
I'm always amazed by commenting posters who haven't a clue but still chose to join in. With comments like gas is lighter , so it will float to the top... Add some octane booster to stop pinging . Here's is a comment you can bank on. At your small ratio of gas to diesel simply run it out by motoring at a moderate mid rpm engine speed. If you would be more comfortable with adding some lubrication add about two pints of Marvel mystery oil, that will add lubricant and clean the fuel system as well. That's advice from someone with 42 years of diesel engine experience, me.
This. Exactly. If you can't get Marvel Mystery use 2 stroke oil which is pretty much all synthetic these days. 52 years master mechanic here.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 17:52   #69

Any JASCO spec 2 stroke motorcycle/mower oil is fine.
Much better lubrication than outboard oils.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 23:09   #70

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
This. Exactly. If you can't get Marvel Mystery use 2 stroke oil which is pretty much all synthetic these days. 52 years master mechanic here.
Quote:
"I'm always amazed by commenting posters who haven't a clue but still chose to join in. With comments like gas is lighter , so it will float to the top... Add some octane booster to stop pinging . Here's is a comment you can bank on. At your small ratio of gas to diesel simply run it out by motoring at a moderate mid rpm engine speed. If you would be more comfortable with adding some lubrication add about two pints of Marvel mystery oil, that will add lubricant and clean the fuel system as well. That's advice from someone with 42 years of diesel engine experience, me."

+ 1 for your sensible opinions.
Vapor explosion, really? I better get rid of my car. It has a gasoline engine!
Gotta go now, I just heard that the sky is falling.
Old 03-03-2021, 00:36   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:

WTF?
Hey I drink rum too. Hope it was a good night.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 00:57   #72

Truckers of old would put gasoline into their tanks in winter to help the engine start ,in modern trucks I've been told this is not a good idea
I've run my Mitsubishi shogun on a mix of vegetable oil and diesel 40/60 it smelled like a deep fat fryer

The risk is your pump seals , the gasoline mix may attack your pump seals and the thinner diesel can get past the piston rings ,some engines can handle it and some can't

I'd drain the tank if it's a less than 15 year old engine
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:39   #73
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

What's the cost of a fuel pump out and the cost of a new 75hp diesel. It's easy to say what to do when it's not your check book on the line.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:09   #74

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
I'm always amazed by commenting posters who haven't a clue but still chose to join in. With comments like gas is lighter , so it will float to the top...
Yup, thats what you get online, but no different from asking you dockmates.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 21:42   #75

Boat: Hunter 1979 (Cherubini) 30’

Made that mistake once... about 20% gas before I stopped it! Ran Minimally and purchased a 5 gal outboard tank & used it to feed Diesel to the Racor bypassing the tank. Later we filled up the tank with diesel. Thought all was well!
The ‘good news’ was that the gas loosened up a TON of crap in the 25 year old tank!
The ‘bad news’ was learning how to change Yanmar Injectors while bobbing at a mooring. (See ‘good news!). A thorough tank cleaning followed.
Got Lemons... make Lemonade!
Finestkind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel