Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:18   #1

Boat: Hunter 340
A "something" to bypass screwdown for fuel shutoff cable.

Boat has a 3GM30F with mechanical linkage to cockpit for fuel shutoff. There is no electric solenoid.

Noticed initially that pulling fuel shutoff while it would shutoff it wasn't clean the engine would shudder like it was getting less fuel than needed but not so little it died.

Sorry for the poor photo I took it when I though the issue was something else but the problem is the screw that goes into the square block at top of the photo which screws down onto the shutoff cable. That screw is stripped. Not completely stripped but enough that you can't get the screw tight enough. It holds the wire kinda but it slips just a bit and that is enough that the shutoff arm doesn't move far enough. Pushing the arm manually engine shutoff clean as expected. After trying to tighten the screw things have gotten worse and now it is hit or miss on if the engine shuts off at all.

My guess is this is going to get worse and eventually won't be able to shutoff the engine from the cockpit so want to fix it. The issue is I can't replace this screwdown block. It is riveted to the fuel arm and even if I could find a replacement I couldn't get a rivet gun into there to attach it.

One option I considered is drill and tap the stripped threads to the next size up and use a new screw but I would like a backup or alternative. I think I could install a "something" on the wire on both sides of this block which affixed to the wire and not slipping thus when the wire is pulled or pulled presses on the block which moves the arm. Any ideas? I know such a wire grabber-no-slip-thing exists but I don't know what it would be called so can't google it.

Also if that is a terrible idea open to other ideas as well.

Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:44   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: A "something" to bypass screwdown for fuel shutoff cable.

Trying to find a less terrible photo I came across this. This is NOT my boat and has an electric solenoid but it is the same engine. The part in the question, the screw and screwdown block works the same.

I notice there is a nut on top of the block in this photo which I am sure is not stock. I wonder if the owner had the same issue and tack welded a nut to provide replacement threads.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, fuel