Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2007, 17:46   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
A Yanmar Starter Thread

Hello All:

As some of you may have seen on my thread New Engine and Genset I have replaced my Yanmar 4JHE. I replaced it with a Yanmar 4JH4E. Not a big change in model number but a very different engine.

The old engine had a number of different spare parts including some that were very expensive. Notably the starter and the water pump. I managed to sell the old engine but retained these spare parts with the hope that 1) they would fit my new iengine or 2) I could sell them on ebay.

After reading Sean Sulli's problems with his starter there were some bits of data that peeked my interest. 1) Bill said that he had replaced his original starter with a newer geared starter and 2) It was a drop in replacement with no change of bolt patterns etc. I figure Yanmar didn't want to change the casting to change to a new starter and perhaps the old starter would work -- although it would draw more amps and would be fine for a spare.

Finally my questions:

How can you tell if a starter from a previous version of an engine will work on a newer engine if the newer engine has a new geared starter?

Can anyone tell me whether or not the water pumps for the 4JHE and the 4JH4E are the same?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 17:48   #2

Raw pmups I believe are the same, or atleast will interchange. The starter is already a gear reduction starter on both engines and should also interchange.
and Charley, why didn't you just call me?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 19:22   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Pat:

I guess I should have just done that. Sorry

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar