Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 05:22   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Adapter to fit oiltemp+pressure sensor with org. pressure switch on a Volvo D2-50F

Hi all,

Is there a ready available adapter for the oil pressure switch on a Volvo D2-50F to mount in the same location oil pressure+temp sensor and the original oil pressure switch sensor.
Wanna add oiltemp and pressure gauge and apparently there is only the location of the original pressure switch available and due to the MDI the original oil pressure switch must be kept.
Thanks.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Adapter to fit oiltemp+pressure sensor with org. pressure switch on a Volvo D2-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Hi all,

Is there a ready available adapter for the oil pressure switch on a Volvo D2-50F to mount in the same location oil pressure+temp sensor and the original oil pressure switch sensor.
Wanna add oiltemp and pressure gauge and apparently there is only the location of the original pressure switch available and due to the MDI the original oil pressure switch must be kept.
Thanks.
i tell you this is easy to make on lathe
every town in west country have some lathe guy.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:53   #3

Re: Adapter to fit oiltemp+pressure sensor with org. pressure switch on a Volvo D2-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
i tell you this is easy to make on lathe
every town in west country have some lathe guy.
Yes but I have to tell the lathe guy all the details like threads, how long…which I don‘t know. To figure this out I have to order another oil pressure switch and creep down in the engine room and measure everything….

On the other side the D1 and 2 are on the market since 2005, due to your link this D1 and D2 :
D1-13B, D1-20B, D1-30B, D2-40B

D1-13F, D1-20F, D1-30F, D2-40F

D2-75B, D2-75C, D2-60F, D2-75F

D2-50F, D2-55D, D2-55E, D2-55F

have the same oil pressure switch.
so I assume I am not the only one who wants to monitor his engine in the last 15years and there is maybe someone who offers a kit or tell me which ready made and available adapter fits…
Don‘t have to reinvent the wheel if there is a solution already available. My 1984 md30A on the previous boat had all this from factory.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Yes but I have to tell the lathe guy all the details like threads, how long…which I don‘t know.
1/Buy oil pressure sensor by your wish for example KUS with 53 mm LCD or analog screen
2/When is in your hand make appointment with lathe guy
3/Remove from your engine oil pressure switch
4/ go to lathe guy

For that reason when you buy Volvo Penta parts guy always ask number engine from sticker.

On this engine is use all in world different standard
from metric,Winwworth npt,nps,xxx simple all

One engine thousand different use. this engine starts life rice planter,mini-excavator,generator,marine engine,industrial engine.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:17   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Might be easier to get an oil drain plug temp sensor and then a VDO (or VPenta) oil pressure sending unit that has gauge capability. Measuring the oil temp where the pressure port is may not give accurate oil temps.

Making tee adapters can be a bad idea as they can crack from vibration. Better to use a hose and remote mount a tee or block off the engine.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:56   #6
IOM

The Oil pressure can be run off the same point as the Pressure switch, and there are "T" pieces available to do that if you know the threads, but the temperature should rather be taken from the Oil sump.

A simple way to do that is to drill and tap the temperature sensor into a drain plug. Having the temperature sensor outside the block or head (as will be the case in an adapter at the pressure sensor) will just give you the ambient temperature of the metal, which is more proportional to the water than the oil. Having the sensor in the oil sump will give you oil temperature.
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 18:49   #7

The easiest solution for oil pressure is to obtain a “combination sender” and install it in the same existing threaded fitting that currently holds the low pressure oil switch. The combination sender contains two circuits, one being a switch for the low oil pressure alarm, and the other circuit a variable resistor to drive a gauge.

Hook the switch circuit to the existing MDI alarm circuit wiring and connect the resistor portion to an oil pressure gauge. Where to get such a combination sender?? Simple....they can be obtained from VP, as it was standard equipment on the D2-55C engine, or they can be sourced from VDO, along with a VDO oil pressure gauge, or probably many other instrument suppliers.

As for oil temp, it’s my opinion that you are wasting your time with oil temperature on the D2 series, but if you really want it, follow the advice already given......drill and tap the oil drain plug and install the sender there.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 20:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
The easiest solution for oil pressure is to obtain a “combination sender” and install it in the same existing threaded fitting that currently holds the low pressure oil switch. The combination sender contains two circuits, one being a switch for the low oil pressure alarm, and the other circuit a variable resistor to drive a gauge.

Hook the switch circuit to the existing MDI alarm circuit wiring and connect the resistor portion to an oil pressure gauge. Where to get such a combination sender?? Simple....they can be obtained from VP, as it was standard equipment on the D2-55C engine, or they can be sourced from VDO, along with a VDO oil pressure gauge, or probably many other instrument suppliers.

As for oil temp, it’s my opinion that you are wasting your time with oil temperature on the D2 series, but if you really want it, follow the advice already given......drill and tap the oil drain plug and install the sender there.
Do you know the thread type?
Is it NPT 1/8 with warning switch 0,8bar. Then I just need to cut off the plug on the wire and connect warning cable to the sensor….

Ok if you think it’s waste of time then it is. Installing water temp gauge too, that should be enough.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:19   #9
IOM

Changing the oil pressure switch for one with a gauge output is the simplest way at the engine, as long as also have the display for the sender, or an option to calibrate the sensor in the display. Oil temperature on low revving engines is nice to have, but not necessary. I would think of you want extra early warnings, then water temp, and or a exhaust temperature would be better. If the water flow in the exhaust stops or slows down, the rate of climb of the exhaust gas will be very high, and give a warning long before the engine temperature gets near the danger point.
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:11   #10

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

1. Pull existing sender
2. Take to local chandlery or hardware or auto parts
3. Match threads
4. Buy T (especially solid-body types) and fitting plug
5. Install original and plug
6. Buy appropriate sender ('cause now you know the thread for certain)
7. Install
8. BeerMe
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:46   #11

I just simply need the thread type and size from the oil pressure switch to order the T-part and sensors+gauge.
Didn‘t expect to be so complicated…it’s the same part number since 2006 55C engine and D1s too…
Looking at the pics I expect it’s an NPT 1/8, standard thread size but I don‘t know for certain…

Simple I am at my parents home and wanna take all parts with when flying back to Canary Islands where my cat is. Not the best location to get all this little stuff…
So pulling pressure switch is not an option.

water temp plus oil pressure is standard gear to monitor marine engines since ages…

Tags
volvo, oil, sensor