Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 12:00   #1

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Adding oil and temperature senders to 4JH3-TE

Hello all. I have a 4JH3-TE (75 HP turbo) in my 2000 Jeanneau 45.2. It has the "B" instrument panel which only has warning lights / buzzer alarm for high water temp and low oil pressure. I want to add gauges for the water temp and oil pressure. I realize the current set up uses open/closed switches to activate the alarm circuits so that I need to add variable resistance sensors (240/33 ohm). I have two questions:

(1) did Yanmar / Jeanneau use the same wire harness for the "B" and "C" instrument panels. Reason I ask is that the "C" panel includes both alarms and gauges for oil and water ... so that would mean my wiring harness would have the 2 spare wires already present. I do not want to simply swap my switches for senders ... the audible alarm is a "must have" IMHO since one is not constantly monitoring the gauges

(2) does the 2000 4JH3-TE engine block have separate locations for the senders and switches ... in other words will I find a spare oil pressure fitting and spare water temperature fitting in the engine block to install the senders? While a "tee" from the existing oil pressure switch may be OK to feed the oil pressure sender, I suspect that the water temperature sender needs to be directly in the water flow and therefore must be installed in a dedicated engine block fitting?

Pictures showing the locations where these spare engine block fittings are located would be very cool !!
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 08:30   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 49 Sun Odyssey
Re: Adding oil and temperature senders to 4JH3-TE

I'd like to add water temp and oil pressure gauges instead of idiot lights on my engine also. Has anyone done this and can tell about any gotchas?
steveberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 08:58   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Adding oil and temperature senders to 4JH3-TE

I did this on my 3jh3 and had no major issues. My wiring harness did have the wires for the additional senders. Keep in mind that the threads for the senders must be British, not NPT and are a bit hard to come by. The oil pressure adapter on the engine has a plug in it for the sender, but on mine the idiot light switch was in the port that I needed to use for the sender. I had to move it to the plugged port as the oil pressure sender was too large to fit in the plugged port because it was too close to the block. The idiot light switch fit fine in that port. You will also find a plugged port next to the water temperature idiot light switch. These plugs are removed with Hex wrenches bit you may have to scrape a bit of paint off of them to get a wrench to fit properly. My service manual covers both the 3jh and 4jh series and I dint see any differences in the area of those ports.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil