Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 17:13   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

Yes a gas engine won’t or shouldn’t Diesel Stoddard Solvent which is what I think is the main ingredient of MMO.
On a side note, if you have a spring piston air gun, put a drop of oil into the cylinder. When you fire it, that crack you hear is the pellet going supersonic being propelled by the oil that Dieseled.
Of course it’s probably not good for the air rifle.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:32   #32

Boat: Adams 42
Re: Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

Used engine oil if not handled by a reputable reclaimer is a far worse environmental hazard than the exhaust emissions if burnt.
Viscosity, lubricity, abrasives, corrosives and deposits both before and after combustion all come to mind.

A bit off the thread but a couple of close friends have fueled their old Toyota Landcruiser troopie with unmodified used cooking oil. Well strained and filtered but straight from the friers.
So far they have covered over 20,000 km without any major problems.
Satisfying the moral and practical aspects but ignoring the legality.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:41   #33

I switch my Dickinson Newport Diesel to waste motor oil once it's up to operating temperature, and I run on diesel for 10 minutes before shutting it off. Free home heating oil is available at most Marina's worldwide for the asking. Just be sure to sniff test to ensure a lack of gasoline, but it's mostly hardly used dockqueen Rotella by the gallon in my experience. I also have a waste vegetable oil Gerry can for the same purpose. Turn your boat waste into heat and others waste too.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 18:53   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Adding Used Motor Oil to Diesel Fuel?

Burning Diesel in a heater is actually very polluting, but then so is burning wood, so I’m not saying I’m against it, there is a need.
However burning motor oil is very polluting, just don’t do it.

On my Farm I would put all my waste oil in a 55 gl drum, when it was full I’d call the recycler, he would show up, pump it into his truck and leave me a check. It’s a commodity, it has real value, your not going to get rich, but it is actually re-refined and used again, I assume as the cheap weird brands of oil you see sold in convenience stores.

The Marina’s and the auto parts stores and oil change centers sell it, they don’t have to pay to get rid of it.
https://www.ttnews.com/articles/truc...revenue-stream

Interesting thing to me in that article was that in California it’s hard to get rid of as California calls it a hazardous waste and the paperwork etc makes it not profitable or at least less profitable.
I guess that would be considered an unintended consequence.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 21:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

As a full time cruiser with no marina and no car, but at next change 100 litres of bypass filtered used oil aboard, how do you propose one gets rid of it?
You're getting your oil somewhere, right? Many places will recycle your oil for you (though I know not all - depending on country, location, etc.) You may have to hunt - but it's more and more possible to do.

The offensive thing is *not caring* about the impact of oil discharge. It may be challenging to find a place to recycle it (we have had to hunt too) but if we're going to prevent further destruction of the oceans, we ALL HAVE to care about this!
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 22:22   #36

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
You're getting your oil somewhere, right?

Many places will recycle your oil for you (though I know not all - depending on country, location, etc.) You may have to hunt - but it's more and more possible to do
Yep, bought 6x20litres a few years ago when I had a car and yes, they will take oil back, but now I don't have a car.

Quote:
The offensive thing is *not caring* about the impact of oil discharge. It may be challenging to find a place to recycle it (we have had to hunt too) but if we're going to prevent further destruction of the oceans, we ALL HAVE to care about this
But the thread was about mixing and burning oil in your diesel not throwing it over the side.
Mixing it and burning it with your fuel is a hell of a lot cleaner than discharging it .

Perhaps if people were truly caring about the environment they would have a used oil facility at marinas and fuel docks, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:27   #37

Boat: Birchwood 33

Amen to that SarahBeth
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
...Perhaps if people were truly caring about the environment they would have a used oil facility at marinas and fuel docks, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

My marina does, with tanks for used oil, antifreeze, and oily water, and drums for used oil filters.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43   #39

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Old school diesels are fine with used oil in the fuel. It may cause a little wear on the injector pump but not much. The newer engines may not like it though. Hydraulic fluid is commonly recycled in the same way.

Back when I was an engineer at the paper mill we had boilers like used at electric power plants. We burned fuel oil or natural gas. We 'recycled' alot of used motor oil by mixing it with our oil. We met all environmental requirements while burning it. some oil is recycled back into oil but I expect most is still burned for electric power.
Thx-Ace
Old 01-12-2019, 12:18   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Perhaps if people were truly caring about the environment they would have a used oil facility at marinas and fuel docks, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
But of course marinas in your area do have such facilities! MBTBC marina for sure, and I believe RQYS as well for instance. And further south the RMYC in Pittwater offers the same service and Holmeport marina in McCarrs Creek does too.

And down in Tassie, the RYCT and Kettering marinas do as well. These are all facilities that we have used personally. I suspect that there are many others unknown to us.

We average 1 1/2 oil changes per year. At that rate, it isn't hard to arrange disposal of the ~14 liters of used oil generated.

Jim
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41   #41

If you think your waste engine oil is being recycled into new oil, you should know the vast majority is burned in places like road bitumen facilities. As long as it is gasifying in the Dickinson at operating temperature, you are producing no more pollution than will be produced when someone else is heating with your oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Burning Diesel in a heater is actually very polluting, but then so is burning wood, so I’m not saying I’m against it, there is a need.
However burning motor oil is very polluting, just don’t do it.

On my Farm I would put all my waste oil in a 55 gl drum, when it was full I’d call the recycler, he would show up, pump it into his truck and leave me a check. It’s a commodity, it has real value, your not going to get rich, but it is actually re-refined and used again, I assume as the cheap weird brands of oil you see sold in convenience stores.

The Marina’s and the auto parts stores and oil change centers sell it, they don’t have to pay to get rid of it.
https://www.ttnews.com/articles/truc...revenue-stream

Interesting thing to me in that article was that in California it’s hard to get rid of as California calls it a hazardous waste and the paperwork etc makes it not profitable or at least less profitable.
I guess that would be considered an unintended consequence.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42   #42

Recycle = burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
You're getting your oil somewhere, right? Many places will recycle your oil for you (though I know not all - depending on country, location, etc.) You may have to hunt - but it's more and more possible to do.

The offensive thing is *not caring* about the impact of oil discharge. It may be challenging to find a place to recycle it (we have had to hunt too) but if we're going to prevent further destruction of the oceans, we ALL HAVE to care about this!
Old 01-12-2019, 13:10   #43

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But of course marinas in your area do have such facilities! MBTBC marina for sure, and I believe RQYS as well for instance. And further south the RMYC in Pittwater offers the same service and Holmeport marina in McCarrs Creek does too.

And down in Tassie, the RYCT and Kettering marinas do as well. These are all facilities that we have used personally. I suspect that there are many others unknown to us.
Unknown being the operative word.
Just looked at RQYS and MBTBC websites and found no mention of waste oil disposal tanks or bins.

When last at RQ I did see evidence of small oil amounts being dumped in industrial bins, but didn't think that was appropriate myself.
Quote:
We average 1 1/2 oil changes per year. At that rate, it isn't hard to arrange disposal of the ~14 liters of used oil generated

Small engines.
1.5 changes for us makes 60 litres.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 13:23   #44

Quote:
Yep, bought 6x20litres a few years ago when I had a car and yes, they will take oil back, but now I don't have a car.
As others have noted, many marinas will recycle oil. In Nova Scotia, we took it to a gas station (which took many trips by foot). There are also often folks with cars who are glad to help out - when we’ve been in places we either had our car ir rented one, I’ve driven people to take oil to recycle, fill propane tanks, and get diesel and I know others who’ve helped when they could. The way cruisers help other cruisers is one of the things about the cruising community I love the most. So I sincerely hope you’re able to find a place to recycle that oil without having to mix it with your diesel.
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 13:39   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Most (probably all) of the oil placed in recycling facilities in Tasmania gets burnt. Much of it for heating commercial market garden facilities.

Or so I was told when I asked the guy in the big truck who comes once a month to take it away. He should know as he delivers the waste oil to the end users!

As others have posted, much reclaimed waste oil never sees an engine again!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, motor, oil