Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 21:05   #16

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Additional circuit in diesel cooling system ?

I have a heating system loosely related. I have a oil fired boiler that is expensive to run. I also have a pellet stove and diesel stove, both with coils to heat. With those and the engines I have various ways to heat the boiler and water heater.
My contribution is insulation is important. However you gather warmth, without good insulation on the plumbing, you loose most of the heat you are moving somewhere. Even insulate the pump if possible. Put a temperature gauge where you leave the coil and where it enters the water heater and you will see.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 19:14   #17

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Additional circuit in diesel cooling system ?

Ondemand hot water heater running off the engine cooling system? Now a water heater running off an engine cooling system Ive heard of...I'm not all knowing tho.

But the plumbing mod you state wouldn't be very efficient. you'd do better running the fresh water off the supply side of the heater through the on deck coils and back to the hot water heater. adding the pump and circulating it through the heater. You would have the heaters water volume and the volume of water in the coils on deck, increasing the amount of hot water and the insulation of the water heater would keep it hot longer into the night if you turned off the circ. pump after sunset. Why try to transfer the heat twice?

You would also be eliminating the chance of getting an air block in the engine cooling system, switching the valves back and forth, and over heating the engine at an inopportune time.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, diesel