Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 13:50   #1

Advice on Removing 1GM10 for Service - Connected to Saildrive SD20

I have read a few instances of Yanmar (and Volvo) engines being removed with the saildrive unit left in the water/hull, allowing the boat to remain in the water as opposed to hauling out to remove both engine & saildrive at the same moment. The reason being, my saildrive unit is not in need of service or repairs at the moment, whereas my 1GM10 is badly in need of repairing an unreachable set of oil leaks. In a need to keep costs down, my hope is to pull the engine w/o hauling out, while leaving the saildrive in place and am just trying to find out if there are any horror stories associated with such an approach

Thanks.
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 16:39   #2

G'day,
Yes, you can remove the engine and leave the drive unit in place i do this only when the boat is to be kept in a calm marina situation rather than an a open water moooring while full supports are not in place. depending upon the engine room installation as to what type of supports you are able to use , some times a cockpit strong back has to used to afford vertical support. I do not recommend this but i have seen a s drive freely supported by the seals alone. Go slowly double check all supports & lashings and you will not have any problems.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 16:53   #3

sounds good...

Thanks doug -- it is going to be in a calm & flat marina. in that case are you comfortable supporting it on the seals alone for a couple of weeks, or are you an advocate of additional support whenever possible?

I appreciate the advice and the encouragement, I will definitely go slowly and carefully.
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix View Post
Thanks doug -- it is going to be in a calm & flat marina. in that case are you comfortable supporting it on the seals alone for a couple of weeks, or are you an advocate of additional support whenever possible?

I appreciate the advice and the encouragement, I will definitely go slowly and carefully.
there will be a factory mount at the rear of the unit. block the input shaft up with 2x4's spanning the seal area
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 19:43   #5

As mentioned by NM use a couple of bits of 4x2 as we aussies call them or a solid block of DY.Each installation is different every now and then you come across one where you practically have to destroy the surrounds to get at the engine rear end you will have to make it up as you go along.

Cheers, Shakey.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, service