Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2007, 04:11   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Mud - Try this one. Pass two magnets (opposite polarities) near to each other but don't touch them together. You feel the resistance as you pull them apart?

That same resistance is between the rotating coil and the fixed field. The stronger the fields the stronger the resistance.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 04:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Mud - Try this one. Pass two magnets (opposite polarities) near to each other but don't touch them together. You feel the resistance as you pull them apart?

That same resistance is between the rotating coil and the fixed field. The stronger the fields the stronger the resistance.
Thanks Dan,I've done that and now I know where the resistance is coming from.Do I get my off shore electrition grade 5 certificate now.See folks,some times ya just have to go simple to help the blunt tools shine.Thanks again Dan,and everyone else also.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 04:57   #18

My extream appologie

sildene,sorry for side tracking ya thread mate,it's all yours now.Hope the problem noise is something simple.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 12:39   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
In reply to the switch and dyno, the answer is yes. You will notice a large increase in load.
In simple terms, you can't make something from nothing. Every effort takes energy. Converting energy from one form to another incurrs a loss. In the isntance of this wee engine, the loss is incurred in the friction driving the belt, the friction in turning the alternator and mostly, the load that the Alternator is supplying. Current is essentialy, the flow of electrons. Load is essentially how many of those electrons are consumed to do a job. The energy consumed by the motor is essentially creating those electrons. The more electrons required, the bigger the job done by the Alt, the more energy taken from the engine, PLUS, all the loses incurred along the way.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 16:11   #20

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Mudnut,

Don't feel bad, just do an experiment with a small permanent magnet motor.
It will act as a generator when you spin the shaft. Spin it with the motor not connected to anything, then connect the leads together and try spinning it again.

When I was in high school I was in an honors physics class. We had the bell jar with the semi deflated balloon experiment. The air got evacuated and the balloon expanded too full size.The smartest guy in the whole class understood why the ballon got big, but he was absolutely baffled at why it didn't float to the top of the jar.

The teacher explained that it was being held down by gravity, but the student kept saying "but there's no air! There's no air in space, right? So there can't be any gravity in there!" After about the third go around, the whole class was laughing out loud and the student still didn't get it.
He was otherwise a straight A student.

I still laugh when I think about it.

Steve B.
(and no, it wasn't me)
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 23:41   #21

Boat: Schock 35
They are not touching, but are connected by a magnetic field.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild