Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2022, 16:29   #1

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51
Aftermarket oil filters

Hi all,
Bought a new to me sailboat with a 2016 Volvo penta d3-110 in it.
I’ve driven Volvo cars for ages and change my own oil - never have used Volvo branded oil filters, but prefer to use Mann filters. Partially because of cost difference, but mostly because of availability. I can get a mann filter much easier than an official Volvo branded one.
Is there something similar in the marine market? I’ve been searching and it’s not exactly clear what filter would fit.
Thanks in advance!
Phillip
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 16:41   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Aftermarket oil filters

I've used just about every brand on the market on several different make engines, Yanmar, Perkins, Universal, etc. I 've ended up using Fram filters.
I have often cut my filters open after regular maintenance and found that the quality of construction was not always reflected in the cost.
Recently I watched a comparison on YouTube where the presenter compared expensive Harley Davidson filters over the counter commercial brands, he ended up recommending the Fram filter.
I also use them on my backhoe and autos.
To be honest, I haven't found a reason to pay for the more expensive engine manufacturer brands over the over the counter brands.
They sell a neat tool on Amazon for cutting them open, but I'm too cheap to buy one just yet. You can learn a lot from a little probing.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 17:58   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I called Fram and asked them for their equivalent to the Yanmar 124085-35170 that my 3HM35F uses. They said a Fram PH5046. I found them at Tractor Supply. Practical Sailor ran an article on oil filters (https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...omparison-test) where they said, "Fram
The end caps were made of a weak cardboard-like material. Often the end cap material was crumbing, and in several cases, was tearing loose from the ends of the media. These same failures have been reported in the automotive press. Bottom line: Fram filters are not recommended." Worried, I cut one open with a Dremel grinder. It looked nothing like the filter they described. Looking back at the article I see that they looked at 4 used Fram filters two of which were part number PH3378A, a part number that I could not locate, and the part number of another was unknown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut Open Fram Filter.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	265941  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 18:19   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Wsmurdoch I never thought about cutting an oil filter in half to see what is inside. Your photo was interesting, did you really pay 79 cents for that filter?
Here in Australia, I use Ryco filters and have had no problems with them.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 18:21   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

In the past Fram had a problem with less pleating and a problem with the bypass that opens if the filter gets plugged.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 18:28   #6

The VP D3 oil filter is part #30788490.

The VP D3 engine is derived from the Volvo car D5244T engine.

In all probability the filters are the same, but I think I might source one of each and see what that looks like......
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 19:20   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I called Fram and asked them for their equivalent to the Yanmar 124085-35170 that my 3HM35F uses. They said a Fram PH5046. I found them at Tractor Supply. Practical Sailor ran an article on oil filters (https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...omparison-test) where they said, "Fram
The end caps were made of a weak cardboard-like material. Often the end cap material was crumbing, and in several cases, was tearing loose from the ends of the media. These same failures have been reported in the automotive press. Bottom line: Fram filters are not recommended." Worried, I cut one open with a Dremel grinder. It looked nothing like the filter they described. Looking back at the article I see that they looked at 4 used Fram filters two of which were part number PH3378A, a part number that I could not locate, and the part number of another was unknown.
My experience was similar to yours, I've ever cut open a Fram filter that fit the description of that article. Like you, it always has a fairly thick mount plate, good filter material and a fairly robust relief valve. I wonder if it was meant for a lawn tractor or yard implement.
My experience with cutting open filters goes back 40 years when I was building performance American V8's, it's good practice to inspect the oil filter after the initial break in of a custom modified performance motor. Better to find issues before they become catastrophic, it's expensive. I've found them to be pretty much what you described.
I've also had a tour of one of Fram's production facilities when I was in college, the filters I saw on their production line had the same construction as the picture you posted.
I've never had one fail in all that time, I've had other brads that have, including one major tractor brand that pretty much ruptured, but that's just one instance.
In reality, none of the engine manufacturers make their own filters, they contract out to the major filter manufacturers and have their paint job applied, I just wonder if their making them in China these days. I'm sure they have their specifications, but I doubt they're far off the filter producers spec. Are they really worth 3 times as much?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 19:55   #8

Most OEM's don't manufacturer filters, they are just rebranded.
The practice of cutting open oil filters is fairly routine in heavy industries or it is supposed to be but most service guys don't bother. The gunk need to be strained looking a partial size as an indication of serious wear at end of engine life.
Other than that I don't see a lot of benefit, oil analysis on the other hand is much more useful method of monitoring engine and oil condition.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 05:46   #9

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Wsmurdoch I never thought about cutting an oil filter in half to see what is inside. Your photo was interesting, did you really pay 79 cents for that filter?
In the past Tractor Supply sold oil filters, and the filter for my Yanmar marine engine was the same model as the filter used on some Yanmar engines that John Deere used in their small tractors. Tractor Supply found that they could not compete with WalMart and the discount auto part stores on filters. To free up shelf space for more profitable items, they sold their inventory at a serious discount. I bought all the PH5046 at several of their stores --- a lifetime supply. So the short story, I did pay $0.79 + sales tax each for the the filters,
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 09:18   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Go to any auto parts place and give them the filter number and they will cross reference it to choices at various quality and price points.

Usually I get Wix filters, which are sold under their own brand and under various store brands. Some teardowns have shown that they have more filter area and better construction than Fram. I am not sure it matters much unless you are changing oil less frequently than the manufacturer's recommended interval. There's a lot of folklore about oil and filter brands and types and I believe very little of it.
Old 18-10-2022, 09:20   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
In the past Tractor Supply sold oil filters, and the filter for my Yanmar marine engine was the same model as the filter used on some Yanmar engines that John Deere used in their small tractors. Tractor Supply found that they could not compete with WalMart and the discount auto part stores on filters. To free up shelf space for more profitable items, they sold their inventory at a serious discount. I bought all the PH5046 at several of their stores --- a lifetime supply. So the short story, I did pay $0.79 + sales tax each for the the filters,

Keep in mind that you have to keep them dry and free of corrosion.

The closest I've come to losing an engine over a filter failure was with a corroded can that developed a sudden leak.
Old 18-10-2022, 11:10   #12

Boat: Dufour Gibsea 51

Thanks all for the info!
PhillipPalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 11:39   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m a Fram man also. I purchase their higher end filter on everything. I use a Royal Purple filter on brake fluid and KN on air intakes. Buy best quality oil and filters you can find.
Many years ago a popular Canadian retailer got their private label oil exposed. The 3 grades they offered passed SAE but not after 5,000 miles.
Castro Quaker State Fram honest folks
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 04:06   #14

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

I don't know about you, but I change my engine oil and oil filter every year in the fall. A quick and easy job (although always a bit messy) which every sailor should know how to do. Given this interval and the relative low amount of engine hours each year (around 60h in my situation) the quality of the oil filter is the least of my concerns. I buy them in the local car parts store and any filter from a reputable brand that fits will do.
Old 19-10-2022, 07:14   #15

I once got an aftermarket filter for my Yanmar 4JH4 using the WIX compatibility table )can’t remember the brand) . The filter looked identical to the OEM but leaked after I installed it. Turned out the rubber gasket was a slightly different diameter.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter