Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 20:07   #31

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Air in Fuel System Puzzle

I have spare alternator, starter, injectors, injector lines and water pump.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 20:12   #32

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

As always, you're the best. We all wish we could be as awesome.
Old 27-08-2017, 01:59   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Questions:

Why do you not carry a spare alternator?
I plan to have a spare alternator when I venture further afield, like to Iceland and Greenland next year (maybe). But this is a big heavy brute, and I already have the better part of a ton of parts and tools on board. I am in a long fight with weight, and like Ken, I always figured I had enough redundancy in power generation not to need it it when not getting more than a few days away from land. My diesel generator has been extremely reliable over the years. This experience has changed my mind a little and I will probably now keep one. I do have a spare starter, injectors, injector lines, all hoses and belts and pumps, etc.

Quote:
Why do you not carry (at all times) spare filters?
I do.

Quote:
Why do you not employ a professional marine diesel mechanic to maintain your boat in seaworthy condition? (sounds long overdue for routine hose, etc, replacement)
Implying my boat is not in seaworthy condition? Hmmm.

I do virtually all my own work on my diesel engines, not because I have extra time on my hands or can't afford to hire a pro, but because I strongly believe that you need to know your diesel engines and other machinery intimately, and be able to repair it all in the absence of professional help, which can be hard to call in the middle of the sea.

The other effective measure is to have a professional ON BOARD with you. I did have this my first two years in this boat and I think I will go back to this next year. It's one thing to be CAPABLE of making repairs (and doing maintenance) yourself; an entirely different thing whether you WANT to spend your cruising time on it. I am not retired and have to do my work as well as run the boat when I'm out cruising. All the engineering work on top of that is really too much -- leaving very little time for relaxing in port, exploring, etc. So maybe after the new year I will be looking for professional crew again.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 02:04   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

DH, have you resolved the current issue yet?

From what has been posted, it did sound like you had a fuel blockage rather than sucking air (as someone else posted).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 02:06   #35
cruiser

Dockhead,

One more suggestion for a winter project....

Having been in your shoes in August 2016, sitting anchored in the Bay of Kotor without a reliable working engine or generator due to the same issue with air in the system and some broken generator sensors, it took eight hours for me to figure it out, being highly motivated by a windy forecast. I vowed never to be in such a hopeless situation again regarding battery charging and mobility.

We added 450w of solar and no longer count on just the generator and alternator. When they both break down, it doesn't matter how much diesel is in the tank, you still get nothing. Now the generator is the backup system with solar having taken over as the primary charging device.

I'm now on day #5 without touching the generator or engine, and the batteries began the day at 86% and will most likely end the day at somewhere between 95-99%. No diesel required.

We also carry enough dinghy fuel for it to tow the mothership up to twenty miles should the need arise.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 07:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Implying my boat is not in seaworthy condition?...
I do not need to imply that; you have already stated it by describing your emergency.

We all should be able to perform routine maintenance and emergency repair procedures but, by saving the cost of a professional, you have allowed your fuel system to become unseaworthy. A pro would have recommended hose replacement long ago.

Once more, gravity feed a makeshift day tank for your generator supply, just to get it usable immediately. And give some thought to such a permanent arrangement to help avoid future difficulties. Also rethink your spares.
Old 27-08-2017, 08:32   #37
cruiser

Quote:
I do not need to imply that; you have already stated it by describing your emergency.

We all should be able to perform routine maintenance and emergency repair procedures but, by saving the cost of a professional, you have allowed your fuel system to become unseaworthy. A pro would have recommended hose replacement long ago.

Once more, gravity feed a makeshift day tank for your generator supply, just to get it usable immediately. And give some thought to such a permanent arrangement to help avoid future difficulties. Also rethink your spares.
Seems quite harsh and judgemental IMO. I'm sure I could find a thing or two on your boat needing attention if I poked around for a few minutes or so.

Until my own fuel hoses failed, or rather I assumed along with the help of a guest that they'd failed and were replaced, I hadn't given much thought to them. It's impossible to be on top of everything that can go wrong, unless.... your boat never leaves the dock. But like Dockhead, our boat is constantly on the move six months per year and usually quite a distance from a "professional diesel mechanic." So hiring out the help is not possible, we do the best we can.

BTW: Our fuel problem turned out to be something other than the hoses. But changing the hoses was the first step in the discovery process.
Old 27-08-2017, 08:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...I'm sure I could find a thing or two on your boat needing attention...
But I am not responsible for guests I've taken into the middle of the North Sea.
Old 27-08-2017, 08:45   #39

Quote:

Hello Terra: I disagree with your assumptions. You are assuming that the problem is hoses which you believe should have been replaced long ago. And you are assuming that a professional would have found those hoses and suggested replacing them.
As someone else has said, the problem could be caused by a blockage.
It could be caused by a crack in a fitting or a fuel filter. Or may be something else.
You assume that someone is better off to have a professional work on their boat, I know people who have had " Professionals" install batteries backwards which caused there boat to catch fire and disable all electronics out in the middle of water when they flipped a switch. I have known people who had Professionals install the wrong parts and bill them for the correct parts which caused a breakdown later. I have hired professionals who did a poor job and put lives at risk.

Hello Dockhead, have you found the problem yet?
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 08:58   #40
cruiser

Quote:
But I am not responsible for guests I've taken into the middle of the North Sea.
Even new boats break down right out of the shipyard. What's everyone supposed to do according to the perfect world of Terra Nova... tote around a "professional" diesel mechanic, rigger, electrical and mechanical engineer at all times?
Old 27-08-2017, 09:19   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Only unseaworthy boats have breakdowns? Your boat never breaks?
You are certainly living in a parallel boating universe from mine

My main engine hoses were new last year (I replaced them all when I installed fuel flow sensors. I cut apart and inspected the old ones and they were perfect. 15 years old and I'm sure 5 more years would have been no problem.

I'm doubting seriously that deteriorated hoses are the cause of this problem, but we'll see. I'm just about to roll up my sleeves and get back into it. Thanks to all who have given a ton of great ideas for diagnosing this. I'll let you know what I figure out.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 27-08-2017, 11:30   #42

Boat: Valiant 42

Modern (1990's and newer) hoses rated for diesel fuel do not deteriorate as fast as hoses from the 70's and 80's did. I think it's a premature assumption that the hoses are falling apart. There are many more probable candidates.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:33   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What a beautiful sound! The Yanmar three thumping away happily, well fed at last. Oh, happy day.

It was a loose cover plate on the Carter fuel pump. Held on with studs shared with the mounting bracket, so can be unscrewed unnoticeably when removing the pump.

Hoses are fine, but will get replaced prophylactically over the winter.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-08-2017, 11:37   #44
cruiser

Congratulations!

Don't forget to look at solar, next time it might not be so easy... less difficult... less aggravating?
Old 27-08-2017, 12:00   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...What's everyone supposed to do...?
Due diligence.

DH--good work locating and fixing the problem.

Tags
fuel