Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 04:08   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Alarm on helm console

Hi All .. been making the Florida to NC trip up the icw the last few weeks moving bringing my new to me Catalina 350 home. The when I run the engine under 2400 rpms no issues. However after running some number of hours if I take it barely over 2400 I get a “tink ... tink” sound from the alarm. It is not consistent and is faint. If I bring it under 2400 at all it goes away. The temp gauge never changes at around 158 degrees steady. I have cleaned raw water filter recently as there was a fairly small amount of debris in there. The coolant reservoir is close to full. The alarm gauge is 12 years old. Thanks Dennis
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Alarm on helm console

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcary View Post
Hi All .. been making the Florida to NC trip up the icw the last few weeks moving bringing my new to me Catalina 350 home. The when I run the engine under 2400 rpms no issues. However after running some number of hours if I take it barely over 2400 I get a “tink ... tink” sound from the alarm. It is not consistent and is faint. If I bring it under 2400 at all it goes away. The temp gauge never changes at around 158 degrees steady. I have cleaned raw water filter recently as there was a fairly small amount of debris in there. The coolant reservoir is close to full. The alarm gauge is 12 years old. Thanks Dennis

The only logo it thing is a high temperature engine sensor activating.

Catalina 350 has a 24-25 HP engine. Running under 2400 should give you a decent SOG. Finally, on deliveries and on my personal boat I run around 23-2400 to save fuel and get best MPG.

Suggest you check/replace impeller and clean heat exchanger. But that can wait if she holds 2300.

Recommend you run 2300 to get her home.

PS Without knowing alarm is broke, do not ASSUME it is broken
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:19   #3

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: Alarm on helm console

Thanks snore good advice... FYI this 350 has 35 hp universal thanks again
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, helm