Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2019, 15:45   #46

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Algae-X Magnet and Fuel Filter- anyone familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Absurd attempts at twisting what was stated is noted. He (and I) are simply trying to impart some knowledge and understanding of the science behind this gadget (or more correctly stated, the lack of it). Attacking the messenger is both inappropriate and uncalled for as this forum is intended to exchange useful correct information. A simple ‘thank you’ would be more appropriate.

And the person who cited terminology such as “align the fuel polarity” prefers to pretend he didn’t see the questions is a good example of the dubious claims about this product.
To make the statement that papers showing slowed rates of division in single celled bacteria don't apply to single celled bacteria that grow in diesel fuel is hardly something to thank one for. Not attacking the messenger, just pointing out that the message is gibberish. Just curious, but have you formed your opinion on this subject based on your installation of one of these devices on a problem tank, and you found it didn't work? Or are you rather just agreeing that even if a weak magnetic field inhibits e coli, it is absurd to think that pseudomonas might be similarly affected?

But thank you for your efforts to impart scientific knowledge.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 16:02   #47

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
To make the statement that papers showing slowed rates of division in single celled bacteria don't apply to single celled bacteria that grow in diesel fuel is hardly something to thank one for. Not attacking the messenger, just pointing out that the message is gibberish. Just curious, but have you formed your opinion on this subject based on your installation of one of these devices on a problem tank, and you found it didn't work? Or are you rather just agreeing that even if a weak magnetic field inhibits e coli, it is absurd to think that pseudomonas might be similarly affected?

My opinion is based on being a chemical engineer with advanced degrees in environmental science and decades of experience in the petrochemical industry.

To coin a phrase, “science doesn’t care what you think”.

This thing is trash serving only to extract money from anyone foolish enough to buy it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 16:25   #48

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:

No it means that what affects one species does not mean it affects another. It doesn't mean that it doesn't either, but what you don't get is that the device isn't in the tank or even on the tank it can't do anything to the tank or its contents. I took I am a biologist with multiple courses including graduate courses in microbiology. What you are asking us to believe is that a device no where near the tank is preventing bacterial growth in the tank. By what magic mechanism do you suggest this happens magic fairy dust? Your opinion is beyond novel it's nonsense.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 16:29   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
My opinion is based on being a chemical engineer with advanced degrees in environmental science and decades of experience in the petrochemical industry.

To coin a phrase, “science doesn’t care what you think”.

This thing is trash serving only to extract money from anyone foolish enough to buy it.
Ah, well your lack of training in biology explains a lot. But don't feel bad. I haven't a clue about ethnomusicology, so would also likely sound unwarrantedly opinionated if I took a strong stand on the origin of the Ubuntu fertility dance without having the slightest experience with Ubuntus.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:33   #50

Quote:
Ah, well your lack of training in biology explains a lot. But don't feel bad. I haven't a clue about ethnomusicology, so would also likely sound unwarrantedly opinionated if I took a strong stand on the origin of the Ubuntu fertility dance without having the slightest experience with Ubuntus.

So now you have the opinion of a biologist and an chemical engineer. Where did you get your degree in fairy magic, Trump University?
Old 17-08-2019, 16:37   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
No it means that what affects one species does not mean it affects another. It doesn't mean that it doesn't either, but what you don't get is that the device isn't in the tank or even on the tank it can't do anything to the tank or its contents. I took I am a biologist with multiple courses including graduate courses in microbiology. What you are asking us to believe is that a device no where near the tank is preventing bacterial growth in the tank. By what magic mechanism do you suggest this happens magic fairy dust? Your opinion is beyond novel it's nonsense.
Since you've never installed a device like this, nor apparently understand how it is alleged to work you might want to learn something about it before asserting expertise. As I said, I have a personal experience data point of one, which I gather is 100% more experience than you or Illusion. In that one experience, a nasty tank that didn't get cleaned up with biocide did after I installed a similar device. Could of been a change in the color of my underwear that did the trick, but I can only relate what I experienced.

And just FYI, but if you think that what kills one species of bacteria is unlikely to kill another, then perhaps a biology refresher course is in order.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:57   #52

Quote:
Since you've never installed a device like this, nor apparently understand how it is alleged to work you might want to learn something about it before asserting expertise. As I said, I have a personal experience data point of one, which I gather is 100% more experience than you or Illusion. In that one experience, a nasty tank that didn't get cleaned up with biocide did after I installed a similar device. Could of been a change in the color of my underwear that did the trick, but I can only relate what I experienced.

And just FYI, but if you think that what kills one species of bacteria is unlikely to kill another, then perhaps a biology refresher course is in order.

So you would expect that if you put chlorine in the water in New Orleans in a water plant, that by some miracle event that suddenly the bacteria in the Missouri river in Montana all die from it. My boat came with Algae-x devices installed when I bought it. They do nothing to prevent bacterial growth in the tanks as they are not in or anywhere near the tanks. You would have us believe based on your experience that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west that the sun orbits the earth from east to west. Science has shown that this apparent to anyone motion of the sun is caused by the rotation of the earth, not the sun orbiting the earth. An observation without knowledge allows one to make up all kinds of rational explanations. It does not mean that they are correct.

It's been said you can educate a person out of ignorance, but stupidity is forever. Sticking to unsupportable opinions without any evidence or even being able to provide a postulated mechanism of action puts you well within sight of eternity.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:57   #53

Quote:

Are you familiar with the scientific principle of ‘lamp post statistics’? Doesn’t appear so.
Old 17-08-2019, 17:45   #54

Quote:
So you would expect that if you put chlorine in the water in New Orleans in a water plant, that by some miracle event that suddenly the bacteria in the Missouri river in Montana all die from it. My boat came with Algae-x devices installed when I bought it. They do nothing to prevent bacterial growth in the tanks as they are not in or anywhere near the tanks. You would have us believe based on your experience that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west that the sun orbits the earth from east to west. Science has shown that this apparent to anyone motion of the sun is caused by the rotation of the earth, not the sun orbiting the earth. An observation without knowledge allows one to make up all kinds of rational explanations. It does not mean that they are correct.

It's been said you can educate a person out of ignorance, but stupidity is forever. Sticking to unsupportable opinions without any evidence or even being able to provide a postulated mechanism of action puts you well within sight of eternity.
Bill, you're starting to babble. Best to give it a rest.
Old 17-08-2019, 17:51   #55

Quote:
Bill, you're starting to babble. Best to give it a rest.
The irony here is astonishing
Old 17-08-2019, 17:59   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:

How many different antibiotics are there? Many are targeted to a certain range of bacteria, a few are broad spectrum but do not encompass the full range of bacteria.

Perhaps your tank cleared up because the biocide had more time to work?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 19:24   #57

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Actually probably harm. I have had clogs twice in rough seas and both times guess where the clog happened. Yep, in the Algae-x. The material causing the clog had obviously passed up the fuel line to the Algae-x and had the unit not been there it would have likely made it all the way to the Racore where such a small amount of material would have caused no problems at all. My best advice... get rid of them.
My result exactly, nearly put me on the rocks! Mine were de-bug made in NZ and when I opened them they were chock full of asphaltenes reducing the fuel flow to nil. The filters looked clean, as they were because the gunk couldn't get to them! I removed them and replaced with a pair of sedimenters to catch any crap before the filters, works well.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 19:30   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
How many different antibiotics are there? Many are targeted to a certain range of bacteria, a few are broad spectrum but do not encompass the full range of bacteria.

Perhaps your tank cleared up because the biocide had more time to work?
That's true, there are. However, there are near universal killers of bacteria, like bleach. Hand sanitizer works even though the flora on your hands is diverse. Dogs don't get human colds but you can kill a dog with the same device you use to kill a human. Killing a specific bacteria while leaving all the beneficial bacteria alive is a very different proposition than nuking them all, which is something Bill may have missed in his biology class.

The idea of devices like Algae-X is that by passing the fuel through strong magnets, they croak, or at least their division rate slow sufficiently that biocides can get ahead of their prodigious rate of reproduction. The magnets don't need to be in the tank as suggestd, and whether they work as advertised or not I have acknowledged I have no clue. All I have is one instance of success. As I recall, I tried biocides for awhile and in desperation tried the aforementioned snake oil. Maybe it works on conjunction with biocides. Beats me, but if people with zero practical experience wish to assert their canonical expertise on subjects they have little knowledge of, well I guess that's the Internet, even though as I recall the OP asked for comments from people who had said experience.
Old 17-08-2019, 20:35   #59

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Might or might not be related, when serving as 2nd asst. engineer on the Arco Marine,
65,000 DWT steam ship equipped with 2 steam operated flash distiller evaporators. One of which had a magnetic device installed on the 8 inch salt water feed line between the feed pump and the evap. I asked the Chief Eng. what the magnet was for and he told me to increase the output. I ended up operating these evaps for about 5 years after making 2nd A.E. They both made about the same amount of water 20-25 ton of distilled water each depending on how much fouling in the heat exchanger or eductor nozzle
erosion. They received equal maintenance monthly as needed.
I never was able to make more water with the magnet equipped evap, but it never made any less. Some of you guys get so bent out of shape over this, it's why I hardly comment any more. Don't want to argue as I come here to learn and talk sailing and general boating. Before I started sailing I was A.S.E. certified Heavy Diesel and Gasoline Journeyman and worked at a major dealer in the bay area. Been working on engines for a living over 50 years up to 35,000 H.P.
My opinion is like navels, everybody has one. I really don't think these things work and if they do it's marginal. Please don't bight my head off.
I have no studies to submit nor links to anything. Only my opinion .
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 20:53   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I have taken those things out of systems and apart, lots of metal slivers attached when upstream of filtration but nothing after a filter. Not why or what what they claim to do but just my observation.
Can we install a 'Magic Stick' sub forum within Engineering and Systems? Anchors, bottom paint and batteries, old news.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter