Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 18:56   #76

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Algae-X Magnet and Fuel Filter- anyone familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Pity you couldn't have been one of the reviewers of the studies finding otherwise. You could have straightened them out.
There are lots of “studies”, many of which have been criticized but I bet you never bothered to check. Regardless, your link has been debunked here numerous times and elsewhere going back a decade or more by people who objectively researched this gadget yet you continue to argue - why?

You previously stated you “have no clue” so why try defending the indefensible?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 19:12   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Since you seem happy to reject peer reviewed articles that contradict your position on the basis that they contradict your position, I wouldn't work the "I'm a scientist" angle too hard.

https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/...93048017500102

Apparently there are a lot of flat earthers out there....

https://dieselsolutions.co.nz/clients-htm/
You really have to read your own links !

The first link has the statement shown in photo 1 below.

The second link from the mfg. contains a link to tests and testimonials that leads to the page shown in photo 2.

Don't think either of these would be considered positive peer reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	198169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	198170  

Old 18-08-2019, 19:20   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

On the de-Bug unit, their installation instructions say to mount between the primary filter and the engine filter. Now me I use a 2 micron filter on my primary. That would stop 90+percent of the bacteria ( 1 to 10 micron in size) from even reaching the de-bug unit. Even with a standard 10 micron filter much of the bugs would be trapped in the filter media.

Even if the de-bug unit killed the bacteria, the dead bacteria would still clog the engine filter. This since the De-bug unit does not remove the biologicals.

I will note that I've had no deposits on my engine filter, even after 300-400 hours hours.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:09   #79

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You really have to read your own links !

The first link has the statement shown in photo 1 below.

The second link from the mfg. contains a link to tests and testimonials that leads to the page shown in photo 2.

Don't think either of these would be considered positive peer reviews.
Could be a reading comprehension problem here, as the image you state was in the first link doesn't appear there. Instead, this does:

Our results indicate that the weak static field of a few gauss after a few hours gives a measurable change in the growth rates of all bacterial species. This shows that the same magnetic field has different effects on different species in the same environment.

The contention that magnetic fields have no effect on bacteria is simply incorrect, as the slightest review of the literature shows. For example, in a journal I'm familiar with because I've published in a sister journal you can find this:

. Results
: A positive effect of the magnetic field, resulting in the reduction of dental plaque microbes in vitro, was found. In the first 24 hours of exposure to the magnetic field, the number of all isolated microbes was significantly reduced.

Does this mean that magnetic containing devices reduce bacterial contamination in fuel? Beats me, but the reason why it might should be clear to anyone inclined to take a scientific approach to the question, rather than ego driven chest beating on an internet forum.

By the way do you understand what the term "peer review" means? Doesn't seem like it....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:17   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There are lots of “studies”, many of which have been criticized but I bet you never bothered to check. Regardless, your link has been debunked here numerous times and elsewhere going back a decade or more by people who objectively researched this gadget yet you continue to argue - why?

You previously stated you “have no clue” so why try defending the indefensible?
Not really arguing for or against. Just marveling at how some egos are so fragile they feel the need to win every argument.

But perhaps you're right. Perhaps I've missed the studies that show that magnetic fields have no effect on bacteria. Maybe you can help me by citing those studies. You do know what a study is, as compared to someone's heartfelt opinion, right?
Old 18-08-2019, 20:21   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
No worries. Others have taken on magnets on fuel systems.

https://enertechlabs.com/magnetic-**...tment-devices/

Myself being an engineer who has seen this type of snake oil appear every 15-20 years or so, I just can't take it seriously. Or rather I that it just as seriously as flat earthers, who truely believe the earth is flat. As you might imagine, I don't believe the world is flat either, dispite literature to support that premise. Sorry to be so unreasonable. That science thingy, keeps getting in the way.
Funny you say you are skeptical of manufacturers claims, then cite a manufacturer of fuel treatments to make your point that another approach is bogus.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:34   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Could be a reading comprehension problem here, as the image you state was in the first link doesn't appear there. Instead, this does:

By the way do you understand what the term "peer review" means? Doesn't seem like it....
Now the mask is off and you are pushing utter BS. That image is a screen shot from following your link.

As to comprehension ... again utter BS. a list of companies is hardly peer review.

I am now convinced that you have utterly lost it .... BLOCKED !
Old 19-08-2019, 04:43   #83

Quote:
Not really arguing for or against.
Nonsense!
You have attempted to dismiss or argue with every person here.

Quote:
Just marveling at how some egos are so fragile they feel the need to win every argument.
The monumental irony in that statement is startling.
Old 19-08-2019, 06:50   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Now the mask is off and you are pushing utter BS. That image is a screen shot from following your link.

As to comprehension ... again utter BS. a list of companies is hardly peer review.

I am now convinced that you have utterly lost it .... BLOCKED !
You posted a snippet from the manufacturer's link Sailorchick posted, not mine, which is a reviewed article published in a scientific journal that finds that bacteria are adversely affected by weak magnetic fields.

But thanks for clarifying your comment for us and answering my question. Yes, you have a reading comprehension problem, and No, you have no clue what peer review means.
Old 19-08-2019, 07:15   #85

Quote:
Nonsense!
You have attempted to dismiss or argue with every person here.

Well, no. It's just that when folks with absolutely zero first hand experience of the topic at hand

a.) make declarative statements on a topic and insist their uninformed opinion is fact based on their "advanced degrees" in unrelated subjects, or
b.) we must accept their opinion because they one time took a biology class, or,
c.) say they distrust manufacturer's claims, then post a claim by Chevrolet that is supposed to show why Ford's suck, or,
d.) make a statement that is contradicted by basically all current research, or,
e.) state that there are plenty of contrary studies to support their statement, but then can't cite them when asked, or,
f.) clearly don't understand the function or operation of the thing they are arguing against, or
f.) like Mr. Boatpoker, can't keep straight what's being said anyway,

and when all of the above tends to be dished up with childish rudeness, then excuse me if I guffaw and point out why you're full of beans.

But back to the topic at hand, Mr. OP, yes, some people who use these devices think they work based on experience, and many governments, militaries and industrial entities agree, and yes, there is solid scientific reasons why they might work, so I wouldn't bother removing one if it was installed. That said, you will have, since this is an Internet forum, strong opinions based on nothing but a need to be heard that you'd be a fool not to immediately rip it out, but those are the same people who would likely argue against cancer cure in a can.

Cheers.
Old 19-08-2019, 07:21   #86

Note your response to my observation that "you attempt to dismiss or argue with everyone here":

Quote:
Well, no.

Old 19-08-2019, 16:06   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
You posted a snippet from the manufacturer's link Sailorchick posted, not mine, which is a reviewed article published in a scientific journal that finds that bacteria are adversely affected by weak magnetic fields.
The study did not say the bacteria was affected adversely, only that there was a measurable effect after very long term exposure. The Bacteria did not die. Using this study we can assume that short term exposure of less then a minute, would produce no measurable effect what so ever.

Case closed... so how can a device installed after the primary filter (per manufacturers instructions), reduce bio loading to the filter. Ain't going to happen.

I'm done here.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 16:31   #88

Quote:
Note your response to my observation that "you attempt to dismiss or argue with everyone here":

Are you still beating your wife?
Old 19-08-2019, 16:38   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The study did not say the bacteria was affected adversely, only that there was a measurable effect after very long term exposure. The Bacteria did not die. Using this study we can assume that short term exposure of less then a minute, would produce no measurable effect what so ever.

Case closed... so how can a device installed after the primary filter (per manufacturers instructions), reduce bio loading to the filter. Ain't going to happen.

I'm done here.
So, when their doubling rage is reduced significantly, this is an adverse effect? And the are free to make any old assumption you want, although assuming that black is white doesn't speak very highly of ones analytic skills, much less honesty.

So yes, the case is closed. Weak magnetic fields have an adverse effect on bacteria and provide the basis for why so many report that these devices appear to work, even though I suspect you could find a few more manufacturers of biocide that have written they don't. But as you said, you are suspicious of manufacturer's claims, at least those you disagree with, it would appear.
Old 20-08-2019, 09:38   #90

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
I’m unfamiliar with the terms “ align the fuel polarity” as well as “power percentage efficiency”.

As I assume, by using those terms, you understand the science behind them - can you elaborate?
I'm particularly interested in knowing how a NON-POLAR fuel such as diesel can be "aligned".

Tags
fuel, fuel filter