Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 16:02   #106

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Algae-X Magnet and Fuel Filter- anyone familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
The device is way overpriced. That does not mean that it doesn't work. Here is an article from their site:https://diesel-fuels.com/why-bacteria-hate-magnets/
They misspell Ion channels (chammels) which looks bad but the rest of the article sounds good. Now they are selling improved versions with multiple magnets. I would be interested in what they are saying over at boatdiesel.com (I am not a member). At $800. for some aluminum and a magnet I can see why it is a contentious subject. Should be some DIY versions around. Also shouldn't be too hard to do some testing. The fact that they haven't produced a study is also suspicious. But I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I agree with Delfin. I saw a pair of them recently installed in a large Trawler and another one on a friends fuel polishing system. A lot of you might consider them a waste of money but that is what a lot of boats are (a waste of money). A large sportfisher will easily use $800. in fuel for a day of fishing, a luxury yacht, many more times that. These are the guys that are buying these things. For the average cruiser, you can replace all of your fuel several times over for the cost of one. I never had a fuel problem yet, other than leaking tanks, but mine are stainless and very clean inside. I use a little biobor and my fuel stays good for years. If you insist on using 2 micron primary filters you will get clogs no matter what.
I've burned maybe 15,000 gallons of fuel over the last several years, and it all passes through 2 micron filters before hitting the OEM filter, which is 3 microns, if I recall correctly. Common rail systems really do need very clean fuel, and while I don't have that, I have never had a problem with the 2 micron filters. That said, I polish the fuel at 30 mics, transfer it to a day tank at 10 mics, before it hits the 2 micron filters.

I agree with you that the magnetic units are overpriced. I installed one on my current boat because of prior success with a problem tank, but I doubt it contributes anything given how I manage the fuel. No moisture, no bugs. The folks (and there are thousands of them) who depend on these usually seem to have existing bad fuel issues, and for them the benefits are measurable, and those measures exist regardless of how many times folks with zero experience but strong opinions say they don't exist. For the average boater who has small tanks and refuels from first world locations, they would probably seem to be a complete waste.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:44   #107

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

And you think my credibility is weak?

Honestly, ...then the tens of thousands of users,...
Let’s review - it was you who clearly stated “I have no clue” if these things work.

It’s an interesting quirk when someone has to preface a comment with the word “honestly” as if to differentiate from their normal speech.

I’ll leave the “tens of thousands” comment alone as a monumentally unfounded and misleading description indicative of silly exaggeration.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:55   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Let’s review - it was you who clearly stated “I have no clue” if these things work.

It’s an interesting quirk when someone has to preface a comment with the word “honestly” as if to differentiate from their normal speech.

I’ll leave the “tens of thousands” comment alone as a monumentally unfounded and misleading description indicative of silly exaggeration.
I have no clue if they work, since I have only my own singular experience as a data point, which as I recall, is 100% more experience than you have, who nevertheless is absolutely certain your ignorance trumps every other person, navy, or business that thinks they do.

And yes, it is tens of thousands, since in the case of De-Bug, they've been shipping tens of thousands for decades. Yet strangely, you know more about the subject than they, or their customers do.
Old 23-08-2019, 08:01   #109

I extracted the childish and inappropriate personal attacks from your post which leaves us with this:

Quote:
I have no clue if they work,

Yet you continue to try defending the indefensible. Interesting.
Old 23-08-2019, 08:14   #110

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

As a molecular biologist, let me jump in and out:

They don't work, they will never work, this is snake oil and nothing else. There is NO WAY any possible effect of magnets or any other device has an opportunity to influence, in any way, shape or form, anything, or any molecules as they pass by "at speed".

Chemically and biologically, it just can't work. I don't care what studies you have, or your personal experience. They. Don't. Work. Spend your money on a good filtration system.

I'm out.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:56   #111

Boat: Lagoon 450

I bought my first algae x in 1999 at a boat show. Having buyers remorse, wondering if I bought snake oil, I’ve consistently asked around to most commercial guys and mechanics that I’ve met over the past 20 years, doing my own personal, informal, non scientific survey. I was surprised to hear that about 80% of the responses were positive. Nobody I asked who had experience with them could ever convince me that they worked though. Maybe a placebo effect? The boat I have now has an onboard fuel polishing system, where the secondary fuel pump can either filter the fuel through the dual racor system and put it back in the tank, filter as it transfers from one tank to the other, or act as a backup fuel pump. The boat also came with an algae x filter on both engines. So, to answer you initial question, I’ve had algae x filters on both boats I’ve owned. If they are already installed I would keep them installed.
Do they work? Maybe, maybe not, but they don’t hurt anything. My understanding is that they make no claim that these devices “kill” bacteria using magnets. They claim that it aligns the fuel polarity, which supposedly helps it flow better and pass through the fuel system, reducing clogging and improving efficiency.
My personal, anecdotal, non scientific evidence, over the past 20 years of having these things installed is that I’ve never had an engine go out due to bad fuel, clogged filters, or dirty injectors.
I think they actually help. Can I prove it? No. If they weren’t already installed when I bought our catamaran, would I buy two? Only if I started having fuel problems. To answer your initial question. I would just leave them there. The company has been in business for a long time, and I doubt so many people would be using them if there was truly nothing to it. To all the trolls on this thread, please don’t be mean to me. I’m not going to reply. Just saying, I think they might work. Can’t prove it though. You are not going to get a definitive answer either way. It would be nice if someone would take dirty fuel, look at it under a microscope. Then pass it through a magnetic fuel conditioner and look at it again. Does the fuel look more “streamlined” or less clumpy? That would prove/disprove their claim.
Old 23-08-2019, 12:17   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
As a molecular biologist, let me jump in and out:

They don't work, they will never work, this is snake oil and nothing else. There is NO WAY any possible effect of magnets or any other device has an opportunity to influence, in any way, shape or form, anything, or any molecules as they pass by "at speed".

Chemically and biologically, it just can't work. I don't care what studies you have, or your personal experience. They. Don't. Work. Spend your money on a good filtration system.

I'm out.
Studies don't matter, testimony from users don't matter, physics doesn't matter, the success of manufacturers doesn't matter - nothing matters but one's opinion. What a remarkable position for someone who says they are a scientist to take.
Old 23-08-2019, 12:43   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... And yes, it is tens of thousands, since in the case of De-Bug, they've been shipping tens of thousands for decades. Yet strangely, you know more about the subject than they, or their customers do.
Ever hear of “Miracle Mineral Solution” (MMS)*.?
Basically, MMS is 28% sodium chlorite (NaClO2), serious and potentially life-threatening side effects, in distilled water. In essence, MMS is equivalent to industrial strength bleach.
Proponents recommend diluting MMS in either water, or a food acid, such as lemon juice, which results in the formation of chlorine dioxide.
MMS was originally sold by a man named Jim Humble, who claims that MMS can be used to successfully treat AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind’s worse diseases.
He even goes so far as to claim that 5,000,000 people have used MMS and that “hundreds of thousands” of lives have been saved.

* NACLO2

FDA warns consumers about the dangerous and potentially life threatening side effects of Miracle Mineral Solution https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...iracle-mineral

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:19   #114

Quote:
Studies don't matter, testimony from users don't matter, physics doesn't matter, the success of manufacturers doesn't matter - nothing matters but one's opinion. What a remarkable position for someone who says they are a scientist to take.
The purpose of this forum is to impart knowledge, expertise or experience, not to promote useless crap.

The studies you cite do not in any way relate to this thing.
The testimony to which you refer is inconclusive as no efficacy has been demonstrated.
What success -the original manufacturer went bankrupt.

There are no physics or chemistry involved with this junk. All we have is you and your dismissal of anyone who actually understands the principles involved.

The only uncertainty here is why you seem so eager to embarrass yourself further.
Old 23-08-2019, 13:31   #115

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've been ignoring this thread for a number of days and decided to take another look. I can't believe people are still debating this with this obvious troll. He probably doesn't believe any of the idiotic BS he's posting here, but just enjoying watching all of you rise to the bait. Ignore him and he'll go away.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:31   #116

Boat: Hunter 450,42,456 (3 boats)

Installed on 3 different boats. Breaks up diesel trying to go back to crude. “Repollimerizing?” One cured a tank blockage,one on a home made fuel polishing system,another on a commercial boat with twins with a backup fuel tank that plunged up the Racors repeatedly. Just had the fuel polished on my Hunter 460 and will put on the Algae 100. On smaller engines l like to put outboard type sight filter before the main filter where you can see the black globs. Easy to clean and monitor what’s going into the main filter.
stacyanna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 14:19   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I've been ignoring this thread for a number of days and decided to take another look. I can't believe people are still debating this with this obvious troll. He probably doesn't believe any of the idiotic BS he's posting here, but just enjoying watching all of you rise to the bait. Ignore him and he'll go away.
It is ironic how annoying trolls never annoy themselves.
Old 23-08-2019, 16:20   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloYachtie View Post
Hey! New here. Recently purchased a '05 Luhrs 38.

Got a good deal on the boat! Some work to do but it is all manageable.

Looking over everything I noticed it has an Algae-X "In-Line Magnetic Fuel Conditioner" and an old fuel filter system by them too. Looked online and it seems they changed their name.. found them now here axi-international.com

And here's the magnet https://axi-international.com/inline...itioners-lg-x/

And here's the closest I could find to the fuel filter.. https://axi-international.com/fps-fx...enance-system/

Anyone have experience with any of these before? Feedback?

Any idea on the mechanical lifetime? Boat sat for a few years.

Thanks for any help.
Contact Paul Smoot on facebook. He sells magnets for cleaning fuel.
Gpser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 17:05   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ever hear of “Miracle Mineral Solution” (MMS)*.?
Basically, MMS is 28% sodium chlorite (NaClO2), serious and potentially life-threatening side effects, in distilled water. In essence, MMS is equivalent to industrial strength bleach.
Proponents recommend diluting MMS in either water, or a food acid, such as lemon juice, which results in the formation of chlorine dioxide.
MMS was originally sold by a man named Jim Humble, who claims that MMS can be used to successfully treat AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind’s worse diseases.
He even goes so far as to claim that 5,000,000 people have used MMS and that “hundreds of thousands” of lives have been saved.

* NACLO2

FDA warns consumers about the dangerous and potentially life threatening side effects of Miracle Mineral Solution https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...iracle-mineral
Is your point that because MMS is a fraud, the devices under discussion must be as well? Seriously?
Old 23-08-2019, 17:18   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyanna21 View Post
Installed on 3 different boats. Breaks up diesel trying to go back to crude. “Repollimerizing?” One cured a tank blockage,one on a home made fuel polishing system,another on a commercial boat with twins with a backup fuel tank that plunged up the Racors repeatedly. Just had the fuel polished on my Hunter 460 and will put on the Algae 100. On smaller engines l like to put outboard type sight filter before the main filter where you can see the black globs. Easy to clean and monitor what’s going into the main filter.
The sad thing is that your first hand experience will be ignored, or dismissed after telling you your nuts. Detached from reality must be a difficult way to spend a life.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter