Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 19:13   #121

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Algae-X Magnet and Fuel Filter- anyone familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Well, no. It's just that when folks with absolutely zero first hand experience of the topic at hand

a.) make declarative statements on a topic and insist their uninformed opinion is fact based on their "advanced degrees" in unrelated subjects, or
Where does one get an advanced degree in making and selling snake oil?

There is no way to kill microscopic organisms by passing them through a static magnetic field. It’s right up there with taping a cow magnet to the fuel line...oh wait that’s the same thing.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 19:47   #122

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Where does one get an advanced degree in making and selling snake oil?

There is no way to kill microscopic organisms by passing them through a static magnetic field. It’s right up there with taping a cow magnet to the fuel line...oh wait that’s the same thing.
Ok, we'll put you down as another person who ignores first hand experience from a great many people about something you have no experience with, and feels that reviewed studies showing the opposite of what you think is so, is wrong.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 01:53   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
And yes, it is tens of thousands, since in the case of De-Bug, they've been shipping tens of thousands for decades. Yet strangely, you know more about the subject than they, or their customers do.
Quote:
Is your point that because MMS is a fraud, the devices under discussion must be as well? Seriously?
No. My point being that, numerous anecdotal testimonials don’t represent convincing evidence, especially when uncorroborated by objective, independent evidence.
In this case, the seller’s claims contradict the science, and they present no objective data, replication by others, consistency with results arrived at by alternative methods, nor consistency with plausible theories.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 02:11   #124

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yep, the de bug units fitted to each tank on my boat when I bought it kept the asphaltenes out of the filter very well, they filled the units and the fuel lines leading to them not allowing any of the pesky things to contaminate the nice clean filters!
After removing them and the fuel lines and replacing with a good sediment and water trap per tank all has been great for years now.
If anyone wants a pair of these wonder working, all singing and dancing marvels they are yours for the cost of postage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
No. My point being that, numerous anecdotal testimonials don’t represent convincing evidence, especially when uncorroborated by objective, independent evidence.
In this case, the seller’s claims contradict the science, and they present no objective data, replication by others, consistency with results arrived at by alternative methods, nor consistency with plausible theories.
Apparently most would agree that these are snake oil, I have not been flooded with offers to accept the offer of two debug units for the cost of postage.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 02:46   #125

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Correct. Or the water interface of keroscene in aircraft fuel.

This, apart from water not burning well, is one of the main benefits of regular draining fuel tank sumps for water and contamination checks.

Water even if not in supplied fuel, accumulates via tank vents, especially in empty tanks due to condensation from daily temp variations.

These critters apart from blocking filters, also excretion is quite acidic which, with the water they live in, is very corrosive to metal and especially aluminium fuel components.

Biobar and other anti bio fuel additives can also help.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 02:48   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
nice google answer-
and algae is?
lets not get into a technical discussion of science- living organism grows and plugs filters- dies and becomes sludge and sinks to bottom of tank- gets sloshed around in seaway and when deep enough gets into filter- then plugs filter. engine stops.

sludge issue compounded with use of various fuel additives- biobor being the 1960s solution, by killing said organisms that grow from water and humidity (yo bro- it can grow on tank walls) and allowing them to sink (gather) in bottom of tank.

one non-invasive solution is using other products ( fuel right) to emulsify said sludge and pass into filter- then eventually regular use of product will clean tank and issue no longer.

other solution is wash and pump tank bottom.

Now want to complicate discussion- add B20 bio-diesel fuel. let that stuff age in your tank. Looks like honey comb and only solution is hot pressure wash to remove.
I was told its a 'fungi' but as you say not so important what it is as how to reduce it.
Old 24-08-2019, 03:15   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Right. I've been wearing a lucky charm around my neck for 20 years. I didn't get cancer for 20 years. Therefore, my lucky charm prevents cancer.

First hand experience. So don't give me no science, or any arguments from any "scientists" with "advanced degrees" in other subjects.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 03:56   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
nice google answer-
and algae is?
lets not get into a technical discussion of science- living organism grows and plugs filters- dies and becomes sludge and sinks to bottom of tank- gets sloshed around in seaway and when deep enough gets into filter- then plugs filter. engine stops.

sludge issue compounded with use of various fuel additives- biobor being the 1960s solution, by killing said organisms that grow from water and humidity (yo bro- it can grow on tank walls) and allowing them to sink (gather) in bottom of tank.

one non-invasive solution is using other products ( fuel right) to emulsify said sludge and pass into filter- then eventually regular use of product will clean tank and issue no longer.

other solution is wash and pump tank bottom.

Now want to complicate discussion- add B20 bio-diesel fuel. let that stuff age in your tank. Looks like honey comb and only solution is hot pressure wash to remove.
I was told its a 'fungi' but as you say not so important what it is as how to reduce it.
Old 24-08-2019, 04:20   #129

Boat: Valiant 42
Algae-X Magnet and Fuel Filter- anyone familiar?

Quote:
Ok, we'll put you down as another person who ignores first hand experience from a great many people about something you have no experience with, and feels that reviewed studies showing the opposite of what you think is so, is wrong.
As has been said many times before, correlation does not equal causation. Therefore, personal experience (aka anecdotal evidence) is not all that persuasive. First, a reasonable theory as to what experience should be expected needs to be proposed. Then, replicated experiments will show the theory to be valid or not. Then, peer review of the methodology is required.

Testimonials and 100% money back guarantees are the preferred selling points of snake oil salespersons. When either or both of these is the primary marketing tool then buyer beware.

BTW, i suspect you have no idea about my experience level, background or education. Hint, I have considerable experience with snake oil.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 06:50   #130

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Let’s review - thus far, we have:
1. No evidence, empirical data or direct research regarding the efficacy of weak magnetic fields,
2. Virtually unanimous agreement by subject matter trained and experienced people knowledgeable about the chemical, biological and physical characteristics of petroleum fuels all in agreement this thing is useless,
3. No verifiable claims by anyone reporting here that it actually does what is advertised,
4. No evidence by the manufacturer which has been independently verified, and
5. Every person who regurgitated the bogus claims about “polarity shifts, alignment”, etc.. has gown into the weeds upon being asked to define those terms.

The only plausible conclusion here is we have poorly disguised and transparent troll post.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:01   #131

I had one and it worked perfect.
Still use additive
4palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 13:41   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
As has been said many times before, correlation does not equal causation. Therefore, personal experience (aka anecdotal evidence) is not all that persuasive. First, a reasonable theory as to what experience should be expected needs to be proposed. Then, replicated experiments will show the theory to be valid or not. Then, peer review of the methodology is required.

Testimonials and 100% money back guarantees are the preferred selling points of snake oil salespersons. When either or both of these is the primary marketing tool then buyer beware.

BTW, i suspect you have no idea about my experience level, background or education. Hint, I have considerable experience with snake oil.
I take it then from your comment that you have installed one of these devices on a contaminated tank and found no effect? If so, then you would be unique among others hereabouts who have reached a definitive conclusion absent anything other than clearly deeply held opinions.

But you are correct that correlation doesn't establish causation. However, it also doesn't argue against causation, so absent some practical reason to explain why a contaminated tank that was resistant to biocides and only cleared up after installation of one of these devices wasn't beneficially affected by the device there is no reason not to at least entertain the possibility they work. That was my experience as well as the experience of a whole lot of other people, and while I'm not willing to be as emphatic in my conclusion the devices work as those with no experience appear to be when they declare they don't, I find the emotional and abusive responses from some to be, well, bizarre.

Just FYI, but when you make a declarative statement that there is no way to kill a microorganism by passing it through a static magnetic field, and when this is clearly incorrect from the literature whatever follows next in your comment becomes a bit less compelling.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cherichia_coli
Old 24-08-2019, 13:51   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Let’s review - thus far, we have:
1. No evidence, empirical data or direct research regarding the efficacy of weak magnetic fields,
Wrong. Studies posted.
Quote:
2. Virtually unanimous agreement by subject matter trained and experienced people knowledgeable about the chemical, biological and physical characteristics of petroleum fuels all in agreement this thing is useless,
Wrong. See comments from Shell oil, posted.
Quote:
3. No verifiable claims by anyone reporting here that it actually does what is advertised,
Silly. I can't verify that you exist, or aren't in a mental institution and I doubt you could provide me with iron clad verification in the negative. If you wish to assert that all those on this thread who have reported positive results are liars, feel free, but I think that makes you a troll, doesn't it?
Quote:
4. No evidence by the manufacturer which has been independently verified, and
Other than being in business for decades selling them to thousands of customers who report they work, gee, I guess you got me there.
Quote:
5. Every person who regurgitated the bogus claims about “polarity shifts, alignment”, etc.. has gown into the weeds upon being asked to define those terms.
Can't speak for others, but my experience was that it cleaned up a problem tank, an experience echoed by others here. I have no idea what this comment is supposed to demonstrate.

Quote:
The only plausible conclusion here is we have poorly disguised and transparent troll post.
Illusion, when you post falsehoods, as above, yet insist they are truths it is you who look like the troll, not those simply relating their own experiences, of which you have acknowledged you have none.

Time to let this topic die a natural death.
Old 24-08-2019, 14:09   #134

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
I take it then from your comment that you have installed one of these devices on a contaminated tank and found no effect? If so, then you would be unique among others hereabouts who have reached a definitive conclusion absent anything other than clearly deeply held opinions.

But you are correct that correlation doesn't establish causation. However, it also doesn't argue against causation, so absent some practical reason to explain why a contaminated tank that was resistant to biocides and only cleared up after installation of one of these devices wasn't beneficially affected by the device there is no reason not to at least entertain the possibility they work. That was my experience as well as the experience of a whole lot of other people, and while I'm not willing to be as emphatic in my conclusion the devices work as those with no experience appear to be when they declare they don't, I find the emotional and abusive responses from some to be, well, bizarre.

Just FYI, but when you make a declarative statement that there is no way to kill a microorganism by passing it through a static magnetic field, and when this is clearly incorrect from the literature whatever follows next in your comment becomes a bit less compelling.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cherichia_coli
Nonsense.

Your link states the experiments were conducted:
1. With strong or alternating magnetic field, neither of which is relevant here, and
2. Growth rate was observed to decrease at -26degrees C.

What is wrong with you?
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 14:42   #135

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4palmer View Post
I had one and it worked perfect.
How do you know?
Do you take it off for several months and log any change?

Quote:
Still use additive
Why?
If the magnets work perfectly adding additives would be a waste of time and money

I don't use magnets or additives and I have no problems either.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter