Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2013, 08:31   #106

Re: Am I totally Screwed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
I know that when I priced a job in the stratosphere it's because I really didn't want the work, or had a bad vibe about the client. Or I thought it's going to result in a cascading failure that would ultimately cost me money. ...
Well, question... if the vibe is bad, why take the work, period? Say you're just too busy with regulars, or something. As a business-person, you have a right to profit from a job, but doing something like doubling the rate suggests to me that money will trump quality work and trust with that person. That person would break an appointment with me for someone offering to pay more. Stuff like that will get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM
-- I find that the better I treat the people who work for me, the better the work turns out...
Couldn't agree more with this Your electrician story - that's how trust and mutual respect are built.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 09:59   #107

Boat: O'Day 28

Come on, what's the scoop? Could you get it started? Pump still leak?

Give.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:23   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Man oh MAN!!!!

This thread is killing me.... Honestly... Unless you are independently wealthy and don't have other expenses like housing... food... You need to start getting more experienced with the systems on your boat "BY DOING".... The most extreme example being that it could one day save your life....

That being said....

So I'm thinking of putting the fittings back in myself, hooking the fuel lines back up and seeing what happens. I need to bleed the lines I'm guessing? Is this a totally bad idea?

JUST DO IT!!!!

I am going to be in the MdR area within the month, and if you don't have this sorted out... I'm willing to give you a hand...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:41   #109
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

You cant judge a good tech on if he can accept credit cards or not. I could just as easily say that most people charging it are bad customers cause they dont have the cash, and have vein of cheapness that has allready doomed the engine from the start. The credit card customers allways come in for the disaster repair, never the routine mantainence. If you're on the phone with a shop and constantly stress how, I want it cheap, I need it cheap, it should be easy, cant spend much. This scares them right off, repairs get costly quick, and if they think you dont have or wanna pay for it. Why bother even looking at it?
Maybe you're creating the vibe?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:44   #110
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Yep. I agree on fixing it myself. I tackled some of the electronics myself and a variety of other stuff on the boat, but got stuck at times, plus all my tools are in Vancouver.

Electrical and the motor intimidated me a bit. I did buy some tools and am going to buy more. The money I'll save is worth the investment in tools. Something as simple as a dremel can make or break a job. Avoiding buying one because I have one back home has to stop. I'll just get one, plus another torque wrench, etc. bought a lot already, might as well fill the boat with tools.

So yes I'll get on this too. Just have to find the time but will get it done this week. Will report back. Thanks guys.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:34   #111

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hi Little-devil, Either you work too hard and don't get time, or you don't want to work, sorry to be so blunt but why pay someone else to wash your boat ? when you wash your own boat and service the engine you will sub conciously learn more as you go along and notice things loose or in need of TLC, most of the jobs you can do yourself, if you have the time and confidence, you have all the help you need at your fingertips on your computer in respect of downloading wiring diagrams etc, the secret with working on engines is very simple, correct tools, precision, scrupulous cleanliness.
The beauty of Cruisers Forum is that are lots of people here who are willing to share their knowledge with you and help you, all you have to do is ask.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:34   #112

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Great decision!

One step at a time and its always good to have a good set of tools dedicated to the boat.

Let us know how it goes.

Yes, you'll definitely need to bleed the system once you get everything back together and tightened up. You can bleed the air out of the system to the fuel injection pump by using the little hand pump. From the injection pump to injectors requires lots of pressure and I used to have someone spin the engine as I tightened the nut on the injectors after each one showed solid fuel flow. Don't spin the engine by the starter too long. Do one injector at a time and once you get solid fuel in two the engine should run on its own while you bleed the others.

Maybe someone has already told you that?

kind regards,
Old 27-01-2013, 12:14   #113
Marine Service Provider

Wash it? It's bottom scrubbing. I don't have dive gear. Sounds like you're one of the tradesmen in the marina doing exactly what I suggested. I agree that if I got a bad vibe from a customer, I probably wouldn't take the work either unless I was desperate. As a customer, I reserve the right to get my own bad vibe when a tradesman wants to be paid a bunch of cash upfront. And I mean cash in hand before they start with no paper trail. I'm not doing that anymore. Instant red flag for me now.

And I don't see how me wanting to pay someone to do work makes me a bad person. If we all did it ourselves there would be no work for the trades and sometimes, we have to weigh our obligations against the cost of hiring it out, as well as our own abilities to do the job in the first place.

Your rationale doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. I'll just stick to discussing the repair and try to get it done.
Old 27-01-2013, 13:21   #114
Marine Service Provider

Hi Irish.

Just wanted to apologize for being a bit too abrupt myself. Read from and replied to from my iPhone and seemed to have missed the end of the message. Plus I confused you with another poster. I agree with what you said, and I do a LOT of work myself. I spent a whole day last week detailing all vinyl, including lifelines and my dingy. Lifelines are so white now. It was a lot of work, but I also found a broken stanchion base. I silicone it and plan to replace that one myself. I do a lot but wiring diagrams are Greek to me. I did buy another multi-meter, but I had to go on the internet again just to remember how to use the damn thing. Plus, it's 110 and 12v, mixed. I guess I need to take a course. I've done a little electrical, but wiring diagrams? Ugh.

I put up my own radar tower and outboard davits, ended up doing the through-hull depth transducer myself, and have rebuilt the carb in my outboard. Replaced the running rigging, fixed the traveler, replaced the stereo system, cut and replaced some hardware on the halyards, etc.

I've done much of my own work on my trucks in the past, modded out my Ducati and quad and small equipment, and even tackled some wiring like for CB's, stereos, lighting, dual battery setups, etc. Not afraid to tinker, and enjoy it, but my lack of tools here is an issue and sometimes I worry I'll do more harm than good.

I don't have a garage or a shop, like to cut a circular piece of starboard requiring a vice or c-clamps and a table and piece of wood, with hole saws or even better a press. Something I could easily do, but cost me $60 for a tiny little 4.25" outside diameter and 4" inside diameter piece of plastic. I'm in an apartment now here in LA. Boy I miss my acreage, my shop and my tools.

I hope you realize that for every person that says go for it, there are 3 others who say it's something best left to professionals, with lots of stories to back it up. Since one of the guys telling me to go for it is a diesel shop owner himself, I feel pretty good about that and will go for it. I appreciate your candor though. I'm off to harbor freight. Have a great weekend.
Old 27-01-2013, 19:42   #115

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

welcome to the j curve. Theres two ways to keep a boat afloat (1) find good people to do work for you and be prepared to pay them a lot of money, (2) figure out how to do it yourself. You've been struggling in the no mans land half way between, when you make up your mind (sounds like you're leaning towards 2) things will get better. My attitude has always been 'give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime'
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 20:03   #116

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My attitude has always been 'give a man a boat, he'll motor for a day, give him a wrench, he'll motor for a lifetime'[/QUOTE]
Old 27-01-2013, 22:40   #117

Boat: O'Day 28

Cut the crap. Will it run?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 00:02   #118
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Well, question... if the vibe is bad, why take the work, period? Say you're just too busy with regulars, or something. As a business-person, you have a right to profit from a job, but doing something like doubling the rate suggests to me that money will trump quality work and trust with that person. That person would break an appointment with me for someone offering to pay more. Stuff like that will get around.

Couldn't agree more with this Your electrician story - that's how trust and mutual respect are built.
Because sometimes mama needs new shoes!

Seriously though, when I was in that position my base rate was usually about 50% higher than my competitors, and it was tiered. Instead of saying "I'm doubling my rate" I got to say "I have to bill that at the senior engineer rate." I got all my business from word of mouth. I charged 50% more per hour but finished the job (right) in less than half the time (usually), which cost my clients less in the end. Most of the time I could be picky, but some weeks you're short and standards drop.

One bit of advice I did get from the old man on client selection was "never take on an attorney as a client, it costs them nothing to sue you and they know you know it." Only broke his rule once, with predictable results. Smart guy, the old man. The older I get the smarter he becomes...

JRM

SSLD - what's to stop you from having someone ship down some of your tools? Surely it's cheaper than re-buying.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 01:15   #119

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Little-Devil. I think we misunderstood each other. I mean't that a person who does his/her own work as much as (practical/possible) gets to know and understand his/her boat and usually spots small things which left undone can lead to greater cost/problems, it also helps them to learn self reliance at sea, (I've recovered quite a few who weren't) as you obviously do. I'm handy with the diesels but won't touch electrics except my own.
Am still a bit confused as to why you need a hull scrub every month ? I only do mine every 3/4 years, Then again, I also alternate cruising grounds with sea cruising and inland canal work which helps to keep the bottom clean.

JRM's advice is perfect as regards attorney's,
How can you can tell when your next to an attorney at a party ? he's the one with his hand in your pocket !

We have different culture's, if asked I only work for cash at an agreed price before, and paid in full when the job is finished and working perfectly.If I took all the tools and spares of my boat I'd probably get another couple of knots out of the old girl.
Diesels are very simple, basically they Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, require high quality lube oil, perfectly clean timed fuel and lots of dry clean air.
If you want a peek my boat's up for sale on Apollo Duck, it's in France under the heading 'Cruise The French Canals In Comfort'.
Apologies if I seem abrupt, it's not to be rude, I just cannot stand Bul.s..t !
As you can guess I'll never make a career in politics.
Good Luck
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 04:31   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

'give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime'
You mean… Teach a man to fish and he’ll be gone all day drinking beer…

Cut the crap. Will it run?
HA!!!!!!!!!! Blue crab you kill me…

If I took all the tools and spares of my boat I'd probably get another couple of knots out of the old girl.
Truer words were never said…

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote