Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 08:50   #1

Another Starter Issue

My Perkins 4108 would sometimes just click the first few tries before cranking. Now it just clicks. Starter button self destructed at same time. Luckily I had spare. Have charged the starting battery but it is undersized for the job really but all I could find (cheap in a small Belize port) when the last one died last month. Worked fine to start though. I've checked and cleaned connections. The solenoid click sounds strong and the starter motor whirs when the lugs are shorted across. Had my gal hold the button on while I shorted the lugs. Starter still just whirs as if the gear isn't engaged. So I figure the solenoid isn't travelling far enough to engage the gear or switch on the starter motor. Maybe? Well pulling the starter is a big job on this boat so I tried just pulling the solenoid. It unbolts easily enough but feels like it is held in place by the return spring or something. What am I missing here? Is it even possible to pull the solenoid with the starter still in? Any advice most appreciated.
Nate B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 13:36   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
IIRC you have to twist the solenoid 90 degrees or so, as there is a small tab on the solenoid that goes into the body of the starter.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 17:06   #3

g'day,
Check voltage at starter could be low voltage problem or bendix spring/ helix due to corrossion, if fitted with a lucas starter remove cover on rear side of bellhousing to expose pinion.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote