Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 20:13   #31

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Any Opinion on Chinese Engines TD226B-4C3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Buying is one thing. Getting it serviced another. It is Japan in the early ' 50s and '60's all over again. In about 20 years, yes. But at that time any liquid fuel will be unaffordable.
What will you gain with cheap stuff?
Didnt work for you when you said that about Japanese manufactured goods or Korean manufactured goods or Taiwanese manufactured goods, so why are you so adamant that you will be correct this time?

Quote:
You are in the end the loser.
Nah, the loser is he who buys the product thinking its better because
A) it was sold in a shop by his fellow countrymen and
B) it cost more, so it must be better, right?
not realising that
C) it was made in China under license and
D) you were just ripped off by the reseller's exorbitant mark-up.
Old 12-01-2012, 20:15   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Name one world wide known product made in china..a product conceived and made and sold by china...the closest you can get is Lonovo computrs and they suck out loud ...and not world wide are they?... its a fact that china is the worlds low end products maker..they are hell bent on changing the situation but havent and wont for a long time( the chinese admit this themselves)... DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:22   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Name one world wide known product made in china..a product conceived and made and sold by china...the closest you can get is Lonovo computrs and they suck out loud ...and not world wide are they?... its a fact that china is the worlds low end products maker..they are hell bent on changing the situation but havent and wont for a long time( the chinese admit this themselves)... DVC
Strawman.

The OP was looking to buy a Deutz diesel made under license
That makes it a Deutz diesel.
Old 12-01-2012, 20:25   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Strawman.

The OP was looking to buy a Deutz diesel made under license
That makes it a Deutz diesel.
What is a Strawman?.. and it makes it a German product made in china...DVC
Old 12-01-2012, 20:34   #35

Quote:
What is a Strawman?..
A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position
Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
and it makes it a German product made in china
Doesn't matter, it's still a Deutz diesel

My Cummins diesels are a Komatsu based engines made in Japan, but they are still a Cummins Diesel.

And I am sure I saw in a catalogue once that a deutz engine I was comparing was a Hyundai based engine.

Quote:
DVC
Which is what exactly?
Old 12-01-2012, 20:43   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position
Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't matter, it's still a Deutz diesel

My Cummins diesels are a Komatsu based engines made in Japan, but they are still a Cummins Diesel.

And I am sure I saw in a catalogue once that a deutz engine I was comparing was a Hyundai based engine.

Which is what exactly?
Spin doctor....The point was chinese make junk...and they admit it...Initals(DVC)
Old 12-01-2012, 20:56   #37

Quote:
Spin doctor....The point was chinese make junk
Gross generalisation
Your american cars have Chinese made components
Your american computers have Chinese made components
BMW, Mercedes, Ford, BMW, Audi all made in China
Deutz made in China
Hummer made in china
Apple computers made in China
Motorola made in China
Nokia made in China
IBM made in China
Louis Vuitton in China

The list is endless

Even your own American flags are made in friggen China

Yet you maintain it is all Chinese make junk

Quote:
and they admit it
Show me.
Old 12-01-2012, 21:49   #38

Boat: 33ft sloop

@ cat man do

It is without any doubt that China has taken over all production of parts and completed products of the former western world.
The crossbreeding of engine-manufacturers is widespread and it is nowadays very difficult to establish who made what.

However, it is quality control and the final touch that will decide the standard of the product. Sublicensing is unstoppable and that will not take away the fact that I can get any service on any big brand's product.

I have a small Chinese made genset to drive the flash-heads I use for my sparse outside photography. It takes ages and some tricks to get it running. I will dismantle the twostroke and replace it for another powersource to drive the dynamo.
Another issue is the environmental requirements. But if I buy MAN, MTU, Cat, I am pretty sure that I can service it, get guarantee on it and last but not least can get it insured.
Many service-centers in Holland refuse to repair China made engines. Or service them.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 22:46   #39

Quote:
I have a small Chinese made genset to drive the flash-heads I use for my sparse outside photography. It takes ages and some tricks to get it running.
yes, some of the no name yum cha stuff is crap and built to a price point, I never denied that.

Quote:
Many service-centers in Holland refuse to repair China made engines. Or service them.
But if it was a Chinese made Deutz, BMW, Ford etc etc they would have no option BUT to service them because they are what they are, a big name product with the name and warranty that goes with it.
Old 12-01-2012, 23:03   #40

Boat: 33ft sloop

BMW' s production facilities for the engines are divided between GB and Austria (Steyr-Werke) In GB is the production facility of the 4 cylinders, in Austria the remaining engines and for the F1 and M-serie they have a separate facility.
No nothing comes here from China. There are assembly plants over the world in countries with a high degree of importrestrictions.

Deutz has indeed a large unit in China, the so called Wei-Chai factory who produces all HD engines under German control. They have an ISO-9000 qualification and for sure they produce no crap. This is a joint venture between Deutz and Wei-Chai.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:12   #41

Quote:

edit...

Deutz has indeed a large unit in China, the so called Wei-Chai factory who produces all HD engines under German control. They have an ISO-9000 qualification and for sure they produce no crap. This is a joint venture between Deutz and Wei-Chai.
Well, if the OP hasn't got bored and gone away, this para is just the kind of facts he wanted to find...
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 03:09   #42

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by col blumson View Post
Any opinions on Chinese engines?
I used to run a bus company and one of my poorest decisions in 2007 and one that brought me much pain was to buy a Chinese built bus. I would never do it again, but if you could attatch some high test chain to the Chinese engine and get it to sit neatly in your bow roller, it might improve the reputation of anchoring devices from that part of the world.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:04   #43

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Even the Australian car, Holden, is almost made entirely of foriegn parts...ie. Korea and China. Not to mention the imported materials for their buildings.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 07:47   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I used to run a bus company and one of my poorest decisions in 2007 and one that brought me much pain was to buy a Chinese built bus. I would never do it again, but if you could attach some high test chain to the Chinese engine and get it to sit neatly in your bow roller, it might improve the reputation of anchoring devices from that part of the world.
...Actually, that would only work if it was not Chinese chain. In the late 70's a friend pulled up his "such a deal" China chain, only to find a link weld had broken and the tension on the chain was the only thing preventing it from parting.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:03   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Gross generalisation
Your american cars have Chinese made components
Your american computers have Chinese made components
BMW, Mercedes, Ford, BMW, Audi all made in China
Deutz made in China
Hummer made in china
Apple computers made in China
Motorola made in China
Nokia made in China
IBM made in China
Louis Vuitton in China

The list is endless

Even your own American flags are made in friggen China

Yet you maintain it is all Chinese make junk

Show me.
I still maintan that they make junk.and someone has already made an analogy about quilty control,cant prove it but I would bet that there are German engineers working at the Duetz plant in China and that the last man to inspect for Quilty control is German...And I still have not been informed of any indigonus chinese products that the whole world is familar with...there arent any and the Chinese admit it..REF:China Daily newspaper...I read it everyday,they are more into talking about their military prowess these days but back a few months it was all about their brand recognition and the five year plan to impliment it around the world....If you ask anyone that knows about guitars and ask which Fender Strat they would rather have it starts with a US made then Japan,Mexico,Korea,Indonesia,then China Last and Least..this is what they get for excluding themselves from the world order for 40 yrs. .....DVC Ps. The world is trying to give them the oppurtunity to come into the world market as a true world player and not just the go to place for cheap labor but they resist by fixing their currancy and abusing human rights and say they will only get inline when they have a part in making the rules instead of being told what the rules are and having to obey those rules..a thinking man can see where this is going to lead if things dont change..those Marines arent being sent to Australia for fun and games...least there not Chinese Marines