Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2024, 15:58   #1

Boat: Morgan 38 (Charley Morgan), Chris Craft Commanche 42
Any recommendations for removing raw water pump with severely corroded fasteners?

I am going through and updating a "new to me" 1969 Chris Craft Comanche 42 and while updating/upgrading the heat exchanger, elbow, etc I discovered the water pump">raw water pump fasteners were severely corroded (unrecognizable).

I was able to replace the impeller, and the motor is running again, however my "cleaning up" (wire brush on dremel) and pushing on the water pump must have aggravated the corroded area and one of the "fasteners" (using the term loosely now) seems to be weeping/dripping). The water pump still pumps plenty of water.

I want to remove the water pump, clean the area, paint, and replace the fasteners. I am not sure what the best way to go about doing that is, as I am not sure how much is left and how I would get the remainder of the studs out (to replace them, too?) if I cut them.

I think there were 4 in total. One looks to have been completely destroyed along with the stud. Another is mostly gone. One looks almost intact and the other is covered with a corrosion "bloom". See pics.

Any thoughts on how to fix this mess?

I threw in another pic on progress of the rest of the motor refurb (in place) so you don't lose faith. I went with the original color. In hindsight would have gone with white or a light color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw_water_pump_3_fasteners.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	290796

Name:	raw_water_pump_3_fasteners_top.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	290797

Name:	20240510_224542.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	290798
caveman_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 16:26   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Any recommendations for removing raw water pump with severely corroded fasteners?

With it that bad?

If you're trying to save the studs, heat the nuts (what's left of them) quickly with an acetylene torch until they're orange hot and then twist them off with a pipe wrench or channel lock.

If you're giving up on the studs, just cut them with a torch or abrasive wheel.

Use wet towels to cover everything that might be damaged or ignited by a spark. Have your big CO2 extinguisher nearby.

Sprinkle JB-80 on the studs twice a day then try to pry the pump loose, the goal being to get it off the studs without breaking them. Don't over do it. It may take two weeks.

Once all that's left is studs, sprinkle JB-80 twice a day and gently torque with vise grips in a rocking motion being careful not to apply enough torque to break them. If they move a little keep rocking, if they stick apply JB-80 and try again tomorrow. Repeat until they're out.

If that fails you can cut them flush, center punch, drill, and try an extractor.

If that fails you can drill and shoot a helicoil in there.

Good luck, you'll need it...

Tags
men, pump, raw water, raw water pump, rode, water, water pump