Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2023, 23:02   #16

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Anyone Love a Mystery? Strange 2-Stroke Outboard Problem

My latest yacht came with a 5 year-old Parsun 3.6hp 2 stroke. I believe all of these engines are made in China (along with everything else on the planet). After a year of my use, I can say this engine has been absolutely brilliant. It almost always starts on the first pull with no choke, and runs very well.
Other than changing the gear oil, occasionally running it in a barrel of fresh water, taking the stretch out of the throttle cable (once), adjusting the idle mixture screw (once), and using clean, fresh 50:1 petrol mix, I've done no maintenance.
Its a better engine than my pervious Mercury 3.2 which never started on the first pull.
To the OP: I'm following along as your problem might appear on my engine later on.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 01:02   #17

Boat: Catalina 38

Nuku34, I would like to suggest that while you have replacement parts available, you should consider the following...

Fuel tank (mine cracked after a couple years)
Fuel cap (my vent screw stripped out)
Spare carburetor (this was the issue with my engine)

Even with the trouble I've had, I am still very pleased with my Parsun.
richwest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 01:10   #18

Boat: Catalina 38

Problem solved!

I replaced the carburetor (with an almost identical Tohatsu carburetor as that was all I could find here in Indonesia) and wow, what a difference.

I believed that there was not mixture adjustment other than jet sizes. There's a screw on the side of the carb that looks like it should adjust mixture, but it only sets the idle speed (unscrew for a slower idle).

I found that there is a mixture adjustment. Removing what Parsun calls the seat and needle, acceleration valve, there is a circlip that controls the position of the needle in relation to the cylindrical air valve. Moving this circlip more towards the blunt end of the needle will lean the mixture.

I put some pictures and more info here: https://twoatsea.com/parsun-carburetor-issue/
richwest3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard