Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 03:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Aquadrive replacement options

So I noticed some subtle but unusual sounds while motorsailing through a reasonable swell. When we made port I investigated and found that the engine was shaking and then found a damaged engine mount. I replaced the mount (it was unfixable), and later found that another had a broken adjustment bolt (snapped clean off). I replaced the bolt also and figured that that must have been the cause of the noises and engine shake. However, the engine was still shaking. Further investigation led to taking apart the aquadrive cv unit (similar to a car constant velocity fitting) which reduces noise and allows the engine to and shaft to work out of alignment (up to 8 degrees). Long story short, when I finally got it open I found that the ball bearing housing was dented, and thus the bearings were grabbing which was throwing the shaft out of alignment. As it was unable to bend the shaft it was transferring the force into the engine, making it shake violently and break the mounts. So...the cvs appear unfixable. At least not without a whole lot of expensive machining work. The aquadrive 19100 (my one) aren’t made anymore, and there don’t appear to be any versions that superseded it which will fit my set up. The closest appears to be the aquadrive 20000, however I can’t find one in Australia.

Has anyone had one of these units and found a suitable replacement? Perhaps someone found a creative solution.

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4253.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	174612Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	174613
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 03:36   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Aquadrive replacement options

Herreshoff, have you tried contacting Aquadrive in Sweden? I managed to rip by rubber bellows on my 20-year-old Aquadrive and the company still stocked the part. They were very responsive and helpful on the phone.

When I removed my Aquadrive to replace the bellows I took it to my local mechanic to give it a cleaning and check everything for wear (there was no wear- they're very tough). He'd never seen one before and his first reaction was that the part was from a car or small truck. He offered to make me a spare unit using an automotive universal joint for a very cheap price. I wonder if you could use the Aquadrive brackets and have a new one made up with automotive parts (and being so cheap, put together a spares kit at the same time). You should be able to find an off-the-shelf universal joint among all the different models available that fits the space on the boat. Aquadrives are great pieces of kit, but a new one is quite expensive.
Copacabana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 04:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

That’s really great advice.

I’ll investigate both of those options. I better try to get to an automatic cv place tomorrow and see what they can do. I’ll also give the Swedish factory a call and see what they can offer.

I do love the aqua drive. I’d really like to keep it. But we are cruising at the moment. It will be hard to stay put here for weeks on end if I can’t find a solution...or at least get a plan in motion.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 07:54   #4

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

We have an aqua drive on our 52’ Kanter, over 20 years old. Have had some repairs but the company has been great......very helpful. Have excellent technical advisors.....
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:07   #5

Hello Herreshof,

I,ve been looking all over the internet to identify my aquadrive model...I just stumbled upon this thread and recognized your scatra 19100

This is mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	my aquadrive.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	191389

Specifically I was searching for information about the shaft coupling. I can't seem to get the shaft of the thrust bearing. I loosened the nut on the clamping bush but no luck getting the shaft of so far. Does your documentation say anything about the connection? When I google the model number I can't find any information myself.

If you can help me out with some details about this coupling I would be very grateful!

Greetings Peter (Netherlands)
watergraag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 06:33   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38 catamaran

Hi, i am replacing 2 motors on my catamaran. i have 2 17 y/o Aquadrives connecting the gears to the shafts. Both are in bad condition and i am looking urgently to replace them. It seems all the phones of the related companies on google are not responsive and there are no emails mentioned a nywhere!
Does any one know of an active business selling those units?
Any known alternatives?
Any help will be appreciated.
Zvika S/V Touchwood
BigZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 09:29   #7

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
Hi, i am replacing 2 motors on my catamaran. i have 2 17 y/o Aquadrives connecting the gears to the shafts. Both are in bad condition and i am looking urgently to replace them. It seems all the phones of the related companies on google are not responsive and there are no emails mentioned a nywhere!
Does any one know of an active business selling those units?
Any known alternatives?
Any help will be appreciated.
Zvika S/V Touchwood
I was able to get parts directly from Aquadrive a few years ago. You could try these numbers:

+46 86039731 (Claes)
+46 86039700 (Lars)

Are you looking to buy new units or fix the old ones? I think there are a few other companies that sell similar products. Basically it's just a universal joint. My local mechanic/welder said he could make me one using a WV universal joint at a fraction of the price.
Copacabana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 06:03   #8

mack borring in the US has the original aquadrive designer on staff. they can be shipped back for rebuild or steer you in the right direction for new. worth the call.

B
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men