Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Are you cruising any slower to save diesel?
Yes 6 23.08%
No 20 76.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 20:10   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Are you going any slower?

I noticed that the launches that passed me at Christmas time were going considerably slower. I am sure it has to do with diesel now over $1.30NZ at the pumps. It wasn't that long ago that diesel was less than half that price.

Are you going any slower as a result of the price increases to save diesel?
Old 09-01-2008, 20:12   #2

Rising price stings boaties - 05 Jan 2008 - Oil & gas news - NZ Herald

seems these guys are talking about it.
Old 09-01-2008, 20:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Most of the Powerboat owners I have talked to don't seem overly worried. They seem to view it as, "It would cost more if we went elsewhere on a Holiday, like camping or a motel etc".
I did like the fact that I only burnt' 100ltrs of fuel for the distance I travled though.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 20:56   #4

..Well foxy it pains me to admit it, but NZ wins again. The price of diesel is getting up to $1.50 Aus , given the exchange rate that makes it even cheaper. It is going to hurt going from a 7 hp to a 53 hp motor!! I think the sails are going to get a "flogging".
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Wow!, I thought Oz was the land of cheap fuel. Mind you, Diesel does not carry a road tax. That is so farmers and fishermen don't have to pay the road tax. so we have a seperate road user charge for vehicles. You buy "Kms" and it isn't that cheap. The rate is based on the weight of the vehicle and the number of axles. So add the road user charges and I think we would be much the same for vehicle owners, but cheaper for the boaties of course.
Is that the same thing in the UK with the "Red Diesel" scenario??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Most economists will state that the price of fuel is inelastic. In other words we will bitch about it but we won't really buy less as the price goes up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:39   #7

We just arrived home Dec 20 in British Columbia delivering a 58 foot power, Ashely Erin, to here from Nova Scotia. We pretty much ran all the way at 1/2 throttle or less to save fuel. We calculated that we saved at least 2500 gallons by slowing down.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on the reception we recieved on the East Coast of the USA. (Other than touching down in San Diego for a crew change, we had to do the West Coast non-stop inorder to be home for Christmas).
I am always pleased to travel south of the border but I was blown out of the water by the hospitality we recieved this time: For example when we ducked in out of the weather in New Port a complete stranger offered to ferry us to any shopping we needed, and even wanted to leave us a cell phone so we could avoid roaming charges on our phones. When we had to go into Palm Beach the skipper of a boat named "Buck Passer" came over, gave us the benefit of his local weather and ssb knowledge, helped us plot an efficient course to Panama, and then lent us his paper charts to use as backups for our electronic ones. I could go on with other examples, such as our welcome in New York, and the many friendly folk we met ashore and on the water all along our route.
The US has a lot going for it physically, but for myself and the rest of the crew, it was the people we enjoyed the most. Thank you for your genrosity.
Bob Cameron
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:42   #8

Alan,
I honestly saw quite a few flash gin palaces going our speed while we were away. Even that guy who moored next to you in Kenepuru for Christmas left the mooring and followed us out Kenepuru pretty slow.
The price of yachts is going to start going up soon when the launchees can't afford the juice any more
Old 10-01-2008, 04:16   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundown View Post
... I am always pleased to travel south of the border but I was blown out of the water by the hospitality we recieved this time:
... it was the people we enjoyed the most. Thank you for your genrosity.
Bob Cameron
Thanks for sharing that!

I’m certain your appreciation (of these spontaneous acts of kindness) is appreciated.

You’ve been the beneficiary of numerous acts of altruistic generosity*; perhaps not as rare a phenomenon is some (cynics) would have us believe.

The idea of doing good works for others, to repay the good that has happened to you (positive reciprocal actions), has been labeled “Paying it Forward”. Paying it forward is different from altruistic social gift-giving, as it only follows from other positive actions.

* Altruistic generosity does not require any expectation of future positive responses.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13   #10

Not only are the power boats going out less the entry market is taking it on the chin as well (that may be local economics though).

Some of the mid 40 foot power boats in our club complain that it is a $500 fuel bill for fuel when going to the islands. Many have commented that the fun factor is going away, they can't wrap there mind around spending $10k per season for fuel.

I tell them to go price Doyle Stratis racing sails. Hmm, maybe thats why racing is down too.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49   #11

Boat: Trismus 37
Just back from Great Barrier, I was amazed at how many of the medium size 35' to 60' "fast" sleek fi glass creations were puttering along at displacement speeds, the only one seen at speed was a lemon yellow retro looking (art deco) around 60' launch flying a playboy bunny flag that just flew everywhere.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
No, I don't pay the fuel bills. What I do is usually time critical in that I have to be back to the dock as soon as possible with the samples so they can be processed ASAP. Much of the sampling I do is with things that have to be alive by the time they get back to the lab. So for me to slow down would hurt the science. It's the perfect excuse for going fast!

The cost of diesel at the fuel dock is 4 bucks per gallon which means the boat costs 4 dollars per mile in fuel....whew!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 14:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Nope, I've had the same fuel in the tank since I bought the boat in Sept. It's a 20 Gal tank and I have 17 left.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:34   #14

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
A friend of mine filled up his non sail gas boat before winter storage $1400.00. I doubt I could spend that much if I tried in the next 10 years. 50 gal tank Perkins 4 cyl.
Old 10-01-2008, 17:51   #15

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
This is why we choose sail over power. If we go any slower we will be going backwards.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote