Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 18:41   #61

Re: Atomic 4 for sailboat on the Great Loop?

The simple fact is your trying to buy a sailboat on the cheap side. Anybody with one that's powered by an Atomic 4 will discount the price to a very low price because they are difficult to sell at anything but a low price.
So as long as your going to keep it for awhile and you can buy it right then it might make sense.
We set sail many years ago from Vancouver to Mexico-Hawaii back to Vancouver in a boat powered by the Atomic Bomb and no problems. You have short range because the little buggers burn a gallon an hour so make sure you buy something that can actually sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 02:26   #62

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I very much would prefer diesel. That's a lot of motoring. A Beta 10 is not that expensive and is fairly fuel efficient and easy to maintain.

IF you go with the A4, first of all puh-LEEZE let it be freshwater cooled. They are all now of an age where raw water cooling will have the poor engine on its last legs.

There are several upgrades that I would say are pretty much mandatory. Mainly electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump. Maybe a serpentine belt and a bigger alternator. Engine mounted refrigeration compressor. Extended knurled screws for the carburetor. External duplex fuel filter setup.

Spares. Lots of spares. Coil, impeller, plugs, fuel pump, complete carburetor, (rebuilt okay) starter, alternator, plenty plenty of filters. Gaskets. Some of these things might be very hard to find if you need them.

If you have aluminum fuel tank, check for corrosion inside and out. Have a spare blower. Hand crank. You still need some juice in the battery to start, but not much, if you hand crank it. Some installations will not have space to turn the crank.

I have a bit of experience with this engine and with the right upgrades it is not all that bad an engine, keeping its limitations and considerations in mind. But it is nowhere as efficient as a good diesel, nor as dependable. Fine for day sailing or weekending if you understand the engine and how to run it, but not for a long haul.

The majority of your motoring will of course be inland. A properly sized new long shaft 4-stroke outboard, while probably even less efficient than a well tuned A4, will at least be more dependable and easily replaced for considerably less than $2k, in minutes. Be sure to get one with an alternator, to charge your house battery. Don't pinch pennies installing a cheap outboard bracket. Get a nice heavy duty one with good reviews from sailboat owners. In fact, since with an A4 you will have gasoline onboard anyway, you may as well keep an outboard for backup, and maybe even a 2kw Ryobi or Honda gasoline generator. (to run topside only, of course.)

With any gas engine or appliances onboard, you need good blowers in engine room and bilge. Open flames are shall we say, problematic LOL! Gasoline fumes are dangerous, no sense tempting fate. Be safe. As safe as possible, anyway.
Old 27-06-2020, 07:28   #63

Boat: 31' sail & 30' power

A Betamarine diesel will drop in on A4 mounts and shaft connection, as they were originally configured as a replacement.
walt41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 09:07   #64

I owned an A4 and used it regularly for 5 years. It was a good motor for it's time but there are many small diesels available now and as far as I know they actually have reverse gears, you'll know what I mean if you test sail a boat with an A4.
The A4 is fairly reliable if maintained but I always had trouble with plugs fouling in spite of many tweaks and adjustments. The fuel consumption was about twice the Bukh diesel I have now.
I have sailed all my life and found with cruising, it's all about the engine.
I would say bite the bullet an buy a small diesel, say a Beta and your trip will probably be more enjoyable.
Fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 06:48   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
No relationship between the Willys "Go Devil" engine used in the MB and the Atomic 4, which is 64 CID. None of the parts interchange. The Willys used a downdraft carb while the Atomic 4 uses an updraft carb.

Feature ... Go Devil ... Atomic 4
CID ... 64 ... 134
Carb ... Downdraft ... Updraft
Firing order ... 1-3-4-2 ... 1-2-4-3
Main bearings ... 3 ... 2

There is a superficial visual similarity only because both engines are flathead 4-cylinder designs from the same era.
I guess that's why I always thought they were the same. They sure do look alike!

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat