Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 17:07   #1

Atomic 4 Gasoline engine

I'm considering the purchase of a 30ft Morgan which has an Atomic 4 gas-burner. My presumption is this will not be as efficient as a diesel but I've never really given much thought to it either until now. Anyone currently using ot has used in this motor?

We're on the lake/river in TN so auxiliary power will be utilized. We do have plans to transit to the gulf but will likely be 2018 but believe fuel cost would be higher with gas burner.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:13   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Atomic 4 Gasoline engine

It's a solid engine (if maintained) but will burn 2-3 times as much fuel as a comparable diesel if pushed hard.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:19   #3

Unless there is a severe price difference and you are willing to deal with a long time to sell i would advise finding a diesel boat
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

They are not a bad little engine but I have never seen one safely installed. Sailors and and sailboat builders almost universally ignore the requirements for proper ventilation and ignition protection of a gasoline engine compartment.
Old 17-04-2017, 18:04   #5

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

My father has one in his sabre 28. He has some guru that works on his I recall my dad shipping it to him for the work. It's been reliable for him but I do love my diesel.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 20:09   #6

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

I have another boat now with a Yanmar in it. Former HR28 had an A4 in it which I miss in some regards. Parts and knowledgebase remain strong at moyer marine website plus they run much quieter than a diesel. My A4 was 32 years old and at idle I could stand in the cockpit and fool people on the dock as to my engine running or not. You could only tell if you placed your hand on the deck and felt the vibration. Nice little engine in that regard but ya need an adequate blower system for safety.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 20:13   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiansailin View Post
...My presumption is this will not be as efficient as a diesel...Thoughts?...
Your presumption should be that you would be buying a ticking time bomb.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 20:34   #8

Nothing wrong with this engine, it does burn more fuel than a diesel but so what. If it's been kept up they are very reliable and anyone with half a brain can work on them as they are so simple. If you take normal precautions in my opinion they are safe. I had one for several years and even crossed oceans with it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 02:40   #9

Boat: Ericson 28/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Your presumption should be that you would be buying a ticking time bomb.
Utter nonsense!
Afrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 03:09   #10

Yup, how many has people heard of that have blew up? How many boats worldwide have gas inboards. I call nonsense too. Have a good working blower and don't be dumb. I prefer a diesel to the fuel economy but if the right deal came on a a4 I would consider.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 03:57   #11

in the 1980's we had an atomic 4 in our tartan 30. lovely little engine and simple as a lawnmower. it ran very smooth and never gave us any trouble. one winter my bride and I fashioned a hoist from two trees in our yard and removed the engine. we put it in the basement over the winter and cleaned and painted it. I even put a new distributor in her and plug wires. it was beautiful when it went back in. we still see our old boat on the bay and I presume she might still have that atomic. too many people talk about explosions but used with standard procedure there is no worry. I only wish the perkins in the last boat had been as reliable as the atomic.
B.Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 04:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, B.Babs.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 04:14   #13

thanks Gordon. the bride and I have been reading the sail fora for a long time. we joined up because we are going back to newfoundland and labrador again and may have questions.
B.Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:05   #14

Boat: Pearson 30

Ensure it has been upgraded to electronic ignition and the coil has been replaced with one that can tolerate higher temps. Change the oil and keep the spark plugs clean - the #4 way in the back can become fouled with carbon if the engine is not fresh water cooled.
Simple to work on. Always run the blower and take a sniff before starting.
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:06   #15

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

I had an A4 in my last boat. I thought it was a good engine. Moyermarine.com will have a lot of information about it. If you buy the boat get his manual. Lots of good information.

As to the danger involved in a gasoline engine vs. a diesel engine -- yes, there is some. But I have heard a whole lot more stories of boats with propane stoves blowing up than I have about A4 boats with blowing up. And yet, a lot of people will gladly buy a boat with a propane stove.
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine