Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 14:33   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Atomic 4 Restart

I may buy a Pearson 10m with an Atomic 4. It's been on the hard for 8 months.

Would any special precautions need to be completed before I restart the engine? The owner says he has treated the gas but 8 months is quite a while for old gas

I'd like to start it before I buy even if that's on the hard.

All opinions appreciated
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 14:45   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Atomic 4 Restart

If it non oxiginated gas then odds are good it will start. Change the oil!
Old 28-07-2018, 15:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have left gas treated with Sta-bil in automobiles for more than a year. Longest was probably three years and it was fine.
Same for my bikes when I was in Korea for a year, or in South West Asia etc.
All were fine.
Yes fresh gas is better, but if treated it seems to last much longer than if it’s not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 15:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On any engine that has sat, it’s best to remove the plugs and put some lubricant down the hole, spin the engine with the plugs out until oil pressure is built up, reinstall plugs and crank.
It’s best, but I don’t usually and have never had any harm come from stored motors.
Old 28-07-2018, 15:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have left gas treated with Sta-bil in automobiles for more than a year. Longest was probably three years and it was fine.
Same for my bikes when I was in Korea for a year, or in South West Asia etc.
All were fine.
Yes fresh gas is better, but if treated it seems to last much longer than if it’s not.
Thanks.

The young navy guy that owns the boat said he treated the gas before storage.

I treat my gas in September or October with Sta-bil and use it in the Spring but it's only a gallon or two.

I saw this boat sit at our marina for a year or so before he moved it to a low priced storage place I recommended so I'm not sure the age of the gas
Old 29-07-2018, 03:49   #6

I will offer the following tips from my own experience. My boat sat for two years while I recycled it. It was a POS when I bought it. Didn't care as I wanted this particular boat and I am not willing to spend huge amounts on a new one. The whole project can be viewed here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...begins.123244/
With that be aware that ethanol holds water and can cause all sorts of issues with the fuel system. 1. The hoses aren't rated for ethanol. A1-15 is the appropriate ethanol resistant hose. 2. My fuel bowl rusted out from water and several pinholes developed which makes it quite exciting when firing up and gas sprays from the bowl. 3. Ethanol can eat the pump diaphragm and cause gas to enter the oil which can make for some excitement. Sniff the dipstick before changing oil or starting. Good case for the electric fuel pump. 4. That ridiculous glass filter bowl can have the gasket leak. I mean WTF archaic thing is that right? Another good case for the electric pump. So there are just some things to consider when restarting an A4.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 04:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
I will offer the following tips from my own experience. My boat sat for two years while I recycled it. It was a POS when I bought it. Didn't care as I wanted this particular boat and I am not willing to spend huge amounts on a new one. The whole project can be viewed here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...begins.123244/
With that be aware that ethanol holds water and can cause all sorts of issues with the fuel system. 1. The hoses aren't rated for ethanol. A1-15 is the appropriate ethanol resistant hose. 2. My fuel bowl rusted out from water and several pinholes developed which makes it quite exciting when firing up and gas sprays from the bowl. 3. Ethanol can eat the pump diaphragm and cause gas to enter the oil which can make for some excitement. Sniff the dipstick before changing oil or starting. Good case for the electric fuel pump. 4. That ridiculous glass filter bowl can have the gasket leak. I mean WTF archaic thing is that right? Another good case for the electric pump. So there are just some things to consider when restarting an A4.
The hoses on this engine look quite new. Distributor cap looks new. Plugs new enough. Oil looks good but probably needs to be changed

The boat, a 1975, was sold in 2003 by owner number one who bought it new.

It appears to me the boat (and engine) was pretty well taken care of but manly used for racing which could explain the cracks around the stanchion bases with crew leaning on them etc and the total lack of cruising gear (even for local cruising)

You do point out good reasons though why many with old engines believe ethanol is bad for gas engines when actually it's just the older engine parts/hoses etc it may negatively affect. (as long as you take the usually precautions as far as treating fuel that will sit for a month or more)

My main engine on my present boat is a 5 HP outboard so I know about the ethanol precautions on an engine build for that type gas
Old 29-07-2018, 04:46   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

8 months...not a lot of time really. I would follow a64’s advice and fire her up, then look for leaks.
Old 29-07-2018, 05:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
8 months...not a lot of time really. I would follow a64’s advice and fire her up, then look for leaks.
Yeah, it'll probably be fine but on my present boat the diesel blew a head gasket when I bought it in 2011 on like my third test run out the small creek where the boat was. It had a bad oil leak though. The boat had sat 5 years on the hard

The main problem is I'd hate to buy another boat that will be hard to sell. Even though the Pearson will be a rocket ship as compared to the Bristol, it's not like I'm going to start racing regularly

I'd hate to have a boat (either boat) sitting someplace for months not being used while I pay storage or slip fees. That money could be used for a new anchor, dodger, SS dodger frame, and paint for the Bristol. And maybe a spare outboard. And maybe another mainsail with a shorter foot.

The Bristol gets the job done. You've heard my stories. It may take a while longer than most boats but it will get you there. It will make you work a bit though getting it back upwind on a Sunday or at the end of a vacation to return for work
Old 29-07-2018, 08:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Atomic 4 Restart

I know what your going through. I see newer, bigger boats all the time and think about how nice bigger and newer would be.
But then I get to realizing that it took me three years to get this one just like I want it, and I would not put that much work into another Boat.
So I’ll just keep this one, even if she is starting to show her age a little.