Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2023, 11:54   #1

Boat: Cape Horn 35'
Automotive Racor filter Suggestion

Hello All,

I own a 35ft sailboat in Brazil. After searching a lot for Perkins distributors I am still trying to figure out which diesel fuel filter to get. My engine is a yanmar 3GM30.

I do not have space for a turbine filter. Also this systems here are way overpriced (2x price in US).

I will have to go down the automotive/truck spin on route with this.

My fuel filter is not inside the engine bay. Also there are no options for those filters with stainless cups beneath them.

After my search, what I can find for purchase here is:
- top of filter aluminum housing/frame. Some are with a bleeding pump, some are not. These all seem to be from generic brands (I don't think Perkins manufacture this units either way, just the filters).
- filter branded Racor, Mann and MWM. I don't know if they are interchangeable. Part numbers suggests they are used for F-250s, MB Sprinters, as well as a bunch of commercial trucks.

My questions:
1 - Does anyone have a suggestion or a part number I can look for? I am thinking a unit with plastic bottom to check on water/crud;

2 - I am also confused about the size of filter I should look for. Will 30 gph do the trick? I understand my engine does not offer a significant return flow to the tank.

3 - Is it advisable to use a 10 micron + 2 micron filters in series?

4 - These automotive filters are marked 14mm outlets for low pressure and 16mm outlets for high pressure. Should I go with the 14mm option?

5 - I need to attach a 3/8" hose to these filters. Not sure if this changes anything for item 4 above.

Thank you all very much for your help!!!
Pedro -Dawn- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor