Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 13:32   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Backup starter for Beta Marine

I have a 2012 Beta Marine 50, which I love. I have a full asset of the usual spares (including a spare Balmar alternator). The only item I don't have which is considered "a good idea" for cruising, is another starter, which if it fails, you won't be able to start the engine.

Ive been suggested to purchase a cheap chinese starter, it's going to be a backup in any case, vs the original one which can be upwards of 600 usd. Anyone know of a not so expensive option I can keep as a backup starter?

Thanks
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 13:55   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Backup starter for Beta Marine

Since Beta uses Kubota engines I seriously doubt they have a custom starter. I would look for a Kubota tractor supply dealer and see what it matches. I had the same issue with my Yanmar starter. Fortunately for me when I took the old one off I discovered the original Hitachi part number was still on the bottom. I went to a local automobile electric shop and was told he could sell me a Hitachi for about $300, an american made copy for $130 or a chinese made copy for $80. he did not recommend the Chinese copy. I went with the American made copy. My Onan genset uses a 2 cylinder Kubota and found that it uses the same starter as the club cadet lawn tractor which was available at Tractor Supply in the US. I don't know what is available in Mexico, but there should be similar places.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 14:07   #3

Boat: Passport 40

If I can get a backup starter US made for 130, I would go for that too . I really didn't want to mess with removing the starter now, was wondering if anyone knew what starter this was so I could find a replacement. I can buy in the US, so that's no problem.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 16:12   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

That's a Kubota V2203 engine. Google it for starters. There are lots for sale under $100.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 00:56   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I marinised a V2203 and found parts easy to get. Since I had to build a new bell housing I fitted the spare on the opposite side to the original. I recall paying a couple of hundred dollars in Australia for the second one. If you buy a cheapy take the original off and store it as the spare. That way you know you have a quality good one if you need it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 10:35   #6

unlikely that the starter motor itself would fail, usually it's the solenoid which is relatively cheap.
bharney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 12:20   #7

Boat: Valiant 40
Backup starter for Beta Marine

I just bought a new starter from API for my Universal M50, which is built around a Kabota block. Was @ $130. There were cheaper options. I’m going to post mortem and rebuild the old starter when I have time and keep as my spare.

If you go to a Kabota dealer it sometimes helps to know what machine your engine is from as that is how they look up parts. For example, my block is from an R400 loader.
Old 13-09-2018, 13:53   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

I have the same engine. Installed in 2003. The starter still works great.

What kills starters is overheating them from difficult starting engines. ALWAYS use the preheat on your Beta, even if it is 100 degrees Farenheit outside. Mine always starts in less than a second. The starter will probably last forever.

One of the great things about Beta is that Kubota dealers are everywhere. I wouldn't bother with a spare of something that will probably not fail and that a replacement is easily obtained worldwide.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 14:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharney View Post
unlikely that the starter motor itself would fail, usually it's the solenoid which is relatively cheap.

Agreed the starter motor really dies the solenoid is usually the issue.
A whole starter motor is generally heavy and I question the value of lugging one around. Spare solenoid may be useful but you can short passed the solenoid with a screwdriver in an emergency
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 17:22   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

My experience with the Beta v1504 was than the starter was a bit on the small side anyway. My origional failed due to water damage (it was at the lowest point) I tried a chepo one and it nearly cost me the boat. Lasted a about a month!! The beta one was $900 which is why I tried a cheapo one. Later I found you can get a genuine kabota one for about $300. I would say a spare starter is essential as well as 2 independent means of charging batteries

PS I still have the new starter, gaskit set and sump pan if anyone is looking for spares
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 17:32   #11

Why backup your electric starter when you can backup the whole electrical and starting system? I have supplied several of these mechanical spring backup starters, either as a boxed spare or installed on a dual starter bell housing, available for many industrial based marine engines.

Wind up with crank handle - pull lever - go cruising.

Very well made and not too expensive.

https://startwell.com/midi/

Zhyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 17:48   #12

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhyachts View Post
Why backup your electric starter when you can backup the whole electrical and starting system? I have supplied several of these mechanical spring backup starters, either as a boxed spare or installed on a dual starter bell housing, available for many industrial based marine engines.

Wind up with crank handle - pull lever - go cruising.

Very well made and not too expensive.

https://startwell.com/midi/

How much with a 2-starter bell housing for the Kubota V2203? How much without the bell housing?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 18:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
How much with a 2-starter bell housing for the Kubota V2203? How much without the bell housing?

I'm not in the parts business, I build boats (Diesel Ducks) and supply the spring starters as options. Popular with world cruisers.

Check price with Startwell. Dual starter bell housing, if available for your engine, from engine parts suppliers. If not available replacing starter is not hard, usually two bolts. Careful, tape hot lead.

One owner would take his boat to shows and amazed visitors by spring starting his Cummings 5.9 over and over again throughout the show.
Zhyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 18:10   #14

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

As in the previous 2 posts, here is another supplier for spring starters. If you are considering a spare startermotor, consider one of these spring starters instead. Not only can one start the engine with a faulty solonoid/starter, but also with a flat battery, faulty/burned wiring etc.

https://www.springstarter.com/

Got a quote a while ago from the second manufacturer. The only problem is the price. Never mind, I am awaiting delivery of one, ordered via Santa Claus Inc.

Tags
beta marine, marine