Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 14:47   #16

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Re: Bad alternator? Flooded engine? Confused.

If the alternator doesn't have a mechanical problem ,just disconnect the wire that energizes it and tape it safe. I come from a background where most everybody was missing a finger tip or two from putting on belts while running so I may have offered poor advice to a novice
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:07   #17

Boat: 2019 TBD

It still could be the battery. A quick check would be to test voltage while trying to start. Knowing that you are starting at 12.5v if it drops below 9.6 volts while trying to turn it over it may be shot, or close too it. Disconnecting the alternator load might just decrease the load enough to allow it to start. Very peculiar issue though. After texting the bat I think I would try disconnecting the power to the alt first. Probably the easiest test to start out with. Hope you figure it out.
Old 08-01-2017, 18:45   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Yes I've had a similar situation with 1GM 8hp motors in my first catamaran. I had a modification done to increase charge on the alternators but with a flick switch to cut the extra charge when not needed. I found a few times, when the batteries were down a bit, if I tried to start a motor with the switch for extra charge on, the motor would turn over too slowly and not start. On flicking the switch to off, the motor was able to start, the alternator then was flicked on to pump plenty in.
I believe this could be what is happening in your situation. I'd also make sure all leads were rechecked for corrosion and tightness from the batteries to starter and alternator. Hope you find this helpful.
PaulMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:23   #19

Boat: Hunter Legend 356 35' 6"

Does this engine have a stop/start fuel solenoid? Or does it have a cable to lever on the fuel pump to stop it?
If it is an electric solenoid then my money is on an electrical short of some sort.
Cranking the engine for a long time will fill the ex' system and possibly the engine with sea water, if you are cranking for a long time then turn off the raw water inlet.....but remember to turn it back on once started!!
Does the speed of cranking change much with or without the alternator belt fitted?
Neil
Old 10-01-2017, 17:50   #20

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Safely on a mooring in St. Augustine after a cold but calm run down from Savannah. I messed with the alternator a bit more. Disconnected the positive lead and put the belt back on. The engine started right up. With the engine and alternator spinning, I touched the lead back to the terminal and got a voltage jump in the battery. So I shut it all down, reconnected the lead, and tried to restart the engine. It fired right up.

So I think that perhaps in Charleston we were running a weak battery, or maybe had an electrical short of some sort from saltwater flying around the engine compartment. We seem to be back in action now. I will be starting it up over the next few days while working on other projects to see the status.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:35   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
... or maybe had an electrical short of some sort from saltwater flying around the engine compartment.
???

-Chris
Old 11-01-2017, 04:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
???

-Chris
There was a lot of salt spray in the engine compartment from the overnight sail, which is what led me to believe that the engine flooded. It -may- have been tossed up from the stuffing box drips/bilge as we got tossed but I doubt it because the exhaust system was full to the top with salt water and the intake valve had salt spray in it too
Old 11-01-2017, 05:13   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If your exhaust system was full to the top, and water was coming out of the intake, then your engine was hydrolocked. It's time to change your oil two or three times and figure out how water got into the exhaust.

Possible causes, no or failed anti siphon valve, no rise in exhaust discharge are two easy ones.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:20   #24

Seems like the Alternator was not an issue. But you have some serious issues as Sail Monkey has determined. However because the engine now starts the engine has effectively forced water down past the rings and pistons, that has all kinds of implications, as water does not compress. Broken or cracked pistons Bent Conrods Bent Crankshaft, I suggest you get it extensively checked before going anywhere.
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 20:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If your exhaust system was full to the top, and water was coming out of the intake, then your engine was hydrolocked. It's time to change your oil two or three times and figure out how water got into the exhaust.

Possible causes, no or failed anti siphon valve, no rise in exhaust discharge are two easy ones.
I think those easy ones pretty much all apply. The engine is running fine now. I took the head off to do a valve job and things are looking good
Need to address the exhaust system ton prevent recurrence of the water issue.

Tags
alternator, engine