Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 15:12   #1

Be carefull with Yanmar!

Be carefull with Yanmar!!!
I have bought Leopard Catamaran with Yanmar engine and SDrive 60 gear. It was a disaster, numerous malfunctions (insted of ahead it went astearn and mamy more surprices). None out of 5 Yanmar services in Croatia, Spain, Carribeans could repair that, services have charged me for attempt eventhought everything was within gurantee period. I lost like 6 charter weeks, including cross Atlantic transfer. Another Leopard had even bigger problems.

I heard that it was a a whole defective lot. If enyone had the same problems (2016/2017) with Yanmar SD- we can join forces

Nobody feels responsible for this loss. This is not tha company that acts responsibly. Be carefull.
Geronimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 16:14   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Be carefull with Yanmar!

2 posts and both to have a whinge.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 19:04   #3

Boat: islandpacket

Sounds like whomever installed that engine did it wrong. Talk to them.
Old 15-04-2018, 19:08   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos View Post
I have bought Leopard Catamaran with Yanmar engine and SDrive 60 gear. It was a disaster, numerous malfunctions (insted of ahead it went astearn and mamy more surprices). None out of 5 Yanmar services in Croatia, Spain, Carribeans could repair that, services have charged me for attempt eventhought everything was within gurantee period. I lost like 6 charter weeks, including cross Atlantic transfer. Another Leopard had even bigger problems.

I heard that it was a a whole defective lot. If enyone had the same problems (2016/2017) with Yanmar SD- we can join forces

Nobody feels responsible for this loss. This is not tha company that acts responsibly. Be carefull.
Well it is difficult to comment on the "many more surprises" without knowing the detail but I am finding it hard to understand why the "ahead / astern" shift issue would not have been picked up at the commissioning tests of the engine (if new) or at survey (if secondhand). You know, those tests that are carried out before money changes hands!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 19:29   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

My Yanmar is almost 20 years old and runs like a champ
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 19:54   #6
cruiser

Quote:

Maybe sailing is not for you??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 20:37   #7

I tend to lean more towards DDabs as I have many friends and colleagues that have Yanmars and/or replaced their dying engines with them both new and rebuilt and I've never heard of any issues as they are just rock solid and very reliable. I have to assume that the person who installed it mucked it up.. Hope this helps and the best of luck..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 22:12   #8

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
there is a well documented issue with "some" SD 60 sail drives. We replaced our old Yanmar 40 (8500 hrs) each with new Yanmar 40 plus new SD 60 Saildrives. Started getting issues after 50 hours of gears not engaging first in the Stb leg then later the Port leg. Had several mechanics look at it and finally repaired by agent on the Gold Coast here in Australia. It was a known fault which required the whole clutch assembly to be replaced. The local distributor kept a spreadsheet of all owners reporting the same problem.
We have since sold this boat and upgraded but the new boat has the old SD 50s.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:06   #9

Leopard= probem???
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:11   #10

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

The ahead/astern is a simple adjustment in the throttle/shifter - it is a "frequent" problem when less experienced people install a folding prop and don't set the shifter correctly.

I'm no fan of Yanmar, but this sounds like whomever set up your shifter, just did it wrong. Possibly the shifter was configured for a folding or feathering prop and you used a fixed prop - or it was configured for a left hand prop ahd you used a right hand - or something like that.

I've picked up a few boats for delivery with reversed shifter and adjusted them in the pre-departure checkout - asking the owner at the end if they want it put back incorrectly as I found it. :-)

Spend some more time learning your boat - at least enough to find a qualified mechanic - and while Yanmar has its faults, this isn't one of them.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:27   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm I missing something? It sounds like a problem with the transmission controls installed ass backwards?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:35   #12

Quote:
I lost like 6 charter weeks, including cross Atlantic transfer. .

Nobody feels responsible for this loss.
Another CF as 'Yelp'. Way to contribute!

They are not responsible for your lost revenue. It would be unreasonable to assume so. No facts or detail provided. Simply 'shouting into the abyss'.

Fwd Going into reverse and nobody can figure it out? That seems almost unplausible. It's not magic, these are mechanical devices with gears and rotational direction.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:36   #13

Such a reaction to such a simple problem suggests to me that the OP is still at the stage of confusing the buying of a boat with the buying of a car! Could it be that service people are sensing that and suddenly become "too busy" to sort out the problem? :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:06   #14

There were well known problems with the come clutched on the sd50. The sd60 uses a more standard clutch and I have not heard of problems with that!

And by the way, good luck prosecuting yanmar. They deny, deny, deny.
wcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:37   #15

My Yanmar is over 20 yrs and still running great.
Monte Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar