Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2017, 12:58   #31

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Bent strut and bent prop shaft $$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albicelesail View Post
This is really helpful. Thanks!
You're welcome. Unfortunately, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Note that with a straight shaft and the alignment cones around the shaft where ii enters and exits the hull through the shaft tube (and before the shaft seal is installed), one can position the P-Bracket (with the new cutlass bearing installed) very accurately for a straight alignment and lock it in place with small wedges between the bracket sides and the sides of the slot through the hull. (A "bolt on" P-Bracket cannot be adjusted vertically and it's rather too difficult to measure the alignment of the shaft easily enough to get an accurate positioning measurement for making up such a fixed bracket.) The plywood gussets on the inside of the hull maintain the vertical alignment of the bracket and hold it in place while a "tinkers dam" is made up around it to be filled with epoxy. The shaft and outer positioning wedges can then be removed and the space in the slot around the bracket on the outside of the hull temporarily sealed with Plasticine modeling clay and the tinker's dam filled with thickened epoxy reinforced with chopped strand. The small bolt that passes through the top of the bracket "locks" the bracket in place vertically and from side to side once the epoxy has cured. The entire assembly is then covered with several layers of glass to prevent water intrusion in the unlikely event the epoxy putty called for around the outside edges of of the slot where the bracket emerges from the hull were to leak.

N'any case, it takes longer, and almost more effort to describe, than to actually position the bracket.

Good luck with your efforts.

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 14:18   #32

Easily $3k-$4k or maybe more. Figure 24-32hrs for shaft, strut & engine alignment with some glass work plus cost of hardware. That's coming from someone who does this for a living, and no I don't own a fancy car or house as a result!

The shaft might be salvageable if not scored, but from the looks of that cutlass, I wouldn't bet on it.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 17:47   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
Easily $3k-$4k or maybe more. Figure 24-32hrs for shaft, strut & engine alignment with some glass work plus cost of hardware. That's coming from someone who does this for a living, and no I don't own a fancy car or house as a result!
Another reason I do as much of my own boat work as I think I can handle. I'd sure look to see if the strut hadn't just moved out of alignment. Also, if you do end up removing the shaft, I'd go ahead and replace the shaft seal just for good luck.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote