Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 04:04   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Then there is the other argument. Hard starts, mixing oil with fuel, louder, smelly, and not great on the environment. Did I mention hard starts.
All the two strokes I've had since about 1990 start perfectly, easier than four strokes. I don't think this is an issue since CD ignition became universal. My previous15 year old 25 horse two stroke started not just on the first pull, every time, but about halfway through the first pull (its electric start was superfluous). My brand new four stroke needs couple of vigorous, full, pulls. In my opinion the only significant disadvantage of two strokes is fuel consumption. The slight inconvenience of mixing oil and gas is offset by no oil changes.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 04:20   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a 2011 Mercury 5 hp 4 stroke Extra-Long 25" Shaft Outboard on my 6600 lb Bristol 27. It weights 58 lbs and sometimes I mount it on the aft railing when not in use.

I used it a first only to get in and out of the slip having never had an engine on a sailboat before.

Later though I started using it to motor all the way back across the lower Chesapeake Bay and to my slip which is about 20 miles which takes 3-4 hours depending on wind and tide. The boat is usually on autopilot the whole time while I read or enjoy the sunrise etc. This takes a gallon of gas or so.

I've also used it at a very low setting (just above idle) at times for better pointing if I am 25 miles out and trying to make Little Creek without tacking.

No problems so far after 4 years except I had to replace the fuel take hose connectors. Sometimes if you buy what West Marine has they don't fit that well and can leak after a short time.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 05:12   #33

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by M9.9 View Post
All Mercs up to forty are made by tohatsu for merc. So if merc is on your list you may find the same engine in tohatsu at less money. Nothing wrong w/a Yamaha either but for the money as a kicker..I'd probably check into tohatsu at that hp level.
My OB mechanic says that Yammies are an incredible pain to work on, and that Tohatsu is a breeze. If you ever want to do your own work, you might consider not going with Yamaha.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 05:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

I've also used it at a very low setting (just above idle) at times for better pointing if I am 25 miles out and trying to make Little Creek without tacking.
I use my torqeedo for that. Make almost no noise and doesn't detract from the sailing experience.
Old 26-09-2015, 05:16   #35

Also on the small 4-5-6 HP Mercury 4 Stroke Outboards there is a shop manual available online which is quite detailed to the tune of 260 pages:

(page turning sound no extra charge!)

Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 4-5-6 hp
Old 26-09-2015, 06:33   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What kind of speed to get you get on your dinghy with the Selva? I have been tweaking a 4hp Yamaha 2 stroke and ma getting 13 knots with the stock prop.

I suspect the Selva is a knockoff Yamaha 6hp with some timing advance and bigger carb. The 4 hp 2 stroke is only about a 90cc engine where as the 6hp 4 stroke is around 140cc I believe.

Don't believe the selva is available in the U.S.
Old 26-09-2015, 06:50   #37

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I had a 2003 Merc6hp. that started first pull and sipped gas. The only reason I sold it was, it had an external has tank
They now have internal tanks. It was a bitch to haul on and off my sailboat due to the weight and I only needed 21/2 hp for the 10' Achilles. The 6 made the dink go 20mph. Faster than I wanted. I'll buy a 21/2 Merc. Next.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 07:13   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
What kind of speed to get you get on your dinghy with the Selva? I have been tweaking a 4hp Yamaha 2 stroke and ma getting 13 knots with the stock prop.

I suspect the Selva is a knockoff Yamaha 6hp with some timing advance and bigger carb. The 4 hp 2 stroke is only about a 90cc engine where as the 6hp 4 stroke is around 140cc I believe.

Don't believe the selva is available in the U.S.
Selva is an Italian company owned by Yamaha. Some of their motors are rebranded Yammies, but this one is pure Italian engineering

It's a 165cc one cylinder four stroke.

It will plane my new RIB (a 10' Avon Lite) with ease with two people and gear - about 1/3 throttle. Plenty of power.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 07:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
I use my torqeedo for that. Make almost no noise and doesn't detract from the sailing experience.
At that point, I'd had my fill of the sailing experience and was trying to get to the entrance buoy of my creek to enjoy the beer drinking experience.....
Old 26-09-2015, 08:45   #40

Although Tohatsu makes many for other companies, I wonder if things other than the basic engine are made to specific requirements for companies like Mercury? Tanks, coatings etc? It's pretty common in other industries for companies to spec certain things the way they want them.... just curious...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 09:15   #41

If Tohatsu builds Merc then they must make Yamaha as well.
My 9.9 Yamaha HT aftermarket Seloc manual covers Yamaha, Merc and Mariner as the same engine.
I don't really know who makes them but these 3 brands are the same as far as 9.9s....
Somebody posted Tohatsu is Merc, I'm just basing this post on that.
I think somebody also posted they make Evinrude/Johnson as well.
So do they build everything except Suzuki?
Based on my experience with my Yamaha I would buy another Yamaha when I need another outboard.
This kind of all stinks, I remember when the OMC plant in my town in Canada was running 3 shifts, now it's a Canoe Museum! The old parking lot is a new double ice rink.....
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 09:19   #42
Marine Service Provider

Yamaha made some of the merc and tohatsu engines for a time. The 25 and some 9.9 and 15. In the last 10 years there were 3 different blocks used on the T9.9s. Only one now made by Yamaha or at least sold only by Yamaha.

I would be interested in getting one of those Italian Silvas. Maybe they are available in the Caribbean? Most online seem only in the UK.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:20   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Selva is an Italian company owned by Yamaha. Some of their motors are rebranded Yammies, but this one is pure Italian engineering

It's a 165cc one cylinder four stroke.

It will plane my new RIB (a 10' Avon Lite) with ease with two people and gear - about 1/3 throttle. Plenty of power.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
So at that 1/3 throttle is it still real noisy?
Old 26-09-2015, 12:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In my opinion the only significant disadvantage of two strokes is fuel consumption. The slight inconvenience of mixing oil and gas is offset by no oil changes.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The other significant disadvantage is that in the USA our EPA doesn't allow small OB's in two stroke. So in the USA, you cannot buy one new.
Old 26-09-2015, 13:39   #45

Has anyone ever asked a shop how much it would be to rebuild an old 2 stroke? Just curious. I know it does get done in large outboards, as a new one may be $18000....... It cant take very long to rebuild a little 2 cylinder engine....
Proven design
weight advantage
no oil changing, dirty oil to get rid of in Timbuktu
Ugly old motor wont get stolen!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard