Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 07:36   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Best Gasket Maker / Sealant for Air Cooler Cap

I have a Yanmar 4jh-hte (turbo). Had to remove my air cooler assembly cap to track down a missing vane from the impellor. When I reassembled and put the cap back I used a gasket maker to seal it. When I put the cap back on the air cooler it was leaking heavily (water flooding through the seal.)

I ordered the Yanmar gasket and it still leaked. So I am trying to figure out what else I can do to seal the connection between the air cooler cap and the air cooler. I need something that would seal it. As I mentioned, I first tried some heat tolerant gasket maker, but it wasn't filling the gap for some reason ; not hard enough. Conceptually it seems like something like butyl tape would he thick enough to completely seal it, but I don't think it would be suitable for an engine seal, and particularly where hot water flows.it needs to be heat tolerant, but also thick.

Do any of you engine gurus have an idea what would work? Some iknd of rubber- like seal?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, sealant