Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 10:55   #16

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: Best Outboard For Heavy Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebeedee View Post
I have decided to stay away from propane motors because of there price. As all boat owners probably feel, too much money has already been spent on this boat!
Now where have I heard that mentioned before?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:27   #17

Boat: Beneteau

Here in Newfoundland there is a preference for the Yamaha outboards because of the performance and price. Often see conditions worse than you mention and the Mercury is a pain to start comparatively. Especially when a little cold. I'd trade mine in a minute for the Yamaha my father in law has.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 15:07   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I see that Tohatsu is now making a propane fueled High Thrust Long Shaft 5hp. The extra horse and the high thrust prop might just make the difference. It is available with 15, 20 and 25 inch shafts. I’m a big fan of propane Outboards. The carbs don’t get dirty. https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

What he says about high thrust prop is important whether you go propane or not.
It’s the high thrust prop that is going to get you moving against wind and current more than HP.
A good high thrust 6 or 8 HP would likely out push my 20 HP dinghy motor.

So, whatever you buy, buy a long shaft, high thrust motor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:17   #19

Boat: Hunter 41

I also have a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke which is awesome. Will plane the dinghy with 3-4 people, but it weighs 70 plus pounds. The 9.8 hp two stroke Tohatsu has the best power to weight ratio. It’s a matter of how much weight you want to deal with! The 15 hp Yamaha is handled with a davit. I can man handle the 15 hp Tohatsu.
wnischt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:30   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnischt View Post
I also have a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke which is awesome. Will plane the dinghy with 3-4 people, but it weighs 70 plus pounds. The 9.8 hp two stroke Tohatsu has the best power to weight ratio. It’s a matter of how much weight you want to deal with! The 15 hp Yamaha is handled with a davit. I can man handle the 15 hp Tohatsu.
He has a 17' sailboat that weighs like 1400 lbs. His bow would be pointing upward with a 15 hp outboard

I guess it's all about what you want to be, a sailor or a power boat guy
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:57   #21

Recommend the Tohatsu Sail Pro.

25 inch shaft and high thrust prop. 6 hp should be very adequate power for your 17.

I have a 9.9 horsepower, four stroke, Sail Pro, and operate it at about 1/4 throttle and it moves my MacGregor 25 at far faster speed than my older 9.9 hp two stroke Suzuki when operating at much higher rpm which Suzuki did not have a low rpm high thrust propeller.

The performance difference is dramatic and it sips fuel and starts really easy and can charge my battery when cruising under power.

The 6hp Tohatsu outboard motor, model MFS6CSPROUL is the largest single-cylinder model available and comes equipped with the 25 inch extra long shaft length.. If you're in search of lightweight portable power, the 6hp Tohatsu outboard engine is an excellent choice for a variety of small craft as well auxiliary power for sailboats and trolling/kicker power for larger fishing boats.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:09   #22

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Had a super long-shaft Merc 9.9 on my old 24 foot fixed keel Marauder. It had a high thrust yacht prop on it when I bought the boat - performed OK I guess. One day I put a standard dinghy prop on it to see what would happen....powering solidly to windward in 50 knots (and boat speed at around half throttle in a calm) is what happened - needless to say, I never went back, and chucked out the old low pitch prop!

Get the 6HP, standard dinghy prop, mount it inboard if you can (my Marauder had a well) rather than on the transom, or worse still, on a transom bracket, and try to make sure it has steerage as being able to rotate the boat in nearly its own length is something really handy. I found many occasions to steer with both rudder and motor at full throttle when pinned beam-on in tight quarters....

These days, with a bigger, diesel powered vessel, I try very hard not to get into those situations, since the best breeze I can motor into is around 10 knots, and there is no steerage on that drive shaft

An old mate once said to me; Never sail anywhere you cant motor out of, and never motor anywhere you cant sail out of. I have only ignored his advice once..... Managed to keep the boat, but it was a very close call, aided by dumb luck.
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:13   #23

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You will definitely need the 25" extra long shaft. Then you'll just need to choose whether to get a Mercury 5 HP or a Tohatsu 6 HP
The new 4 stroke Mercury OBs are actually Tohatsu motors up to 40 hp. Also the 4-6 hp are the same base motor w/carb changes so they will all weigh ~58lbs. With that in mind you may as well get the 6hp if you can work with that much OB weight on your boat.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 19:31   #24

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII

Wow, thanks for all the help. After reading all of the comments I have gathered that a 25”, high thrust , five horsepower outboard is ideal. What company or companies do you recommend.

Thanks again
Teebeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 03:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
The new 4 stroke Mercury OBs are actually Tohatsu motors up to 40 hp. Also the 4-6 hp are the same base motor w/carb changes so they will all weigh ~58lbs. With that in mind you may as well get the 6hp if you can work with that much OB weight on your boat.

Bill O.
Yeah, I like the Tohatsu 6 hp 25" Shaft Outboards, but they don't have the internal tank like the Mercury 5 HP 25" shaft outboards do.

The internal tank makes it nice when you know you will raise sail as soon as you exit your slip. Your external tank, fuel line etc can remain below decks

Sometime it's enough for your whole trip if you sail in and off anchor when you reach your destination

I only use the external tank when I have to motor or motor sail 10 to 20 miles or more

The Mercury 5 HP had a 5 year warranty when I bought it with a dealer nearby......but I ended up doing all maintenance myself. I've changed the plug once in 7 years. Same with the fuel filter.
Old 31-07-2018, 04:06   #26

The one good thing about an adjustable bracket is that it can really help get your engine down low in the water.

Then when you approach your slip you can stop and raise it all the way up for easy steering.

Many times I use both tillers to dock the boat

Photos from 2014 with bracket on the fourth notch down. I usually have it down three when motoring long distance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01753.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	174657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01750.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	174658  

Old 01-08-2018, 01:41   #27

Just to let you know, if you get an outboard larger than 4hp, you will need to get your boat registered. I have a 20ft tramp trimaran (800kg is a guestimate) and the tohatsu 25" 4hp 2 stroke pushes it around at up to 6kn so should not have too much trouble with yours. Does not have an external tank but it may be an option you can get. I had to motor from hay point to brampton island once (about 30 mile) at 5-6 kn and think i refuelled 3 or four times.
elscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:46   #28

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

On the licensing thing over 4hp. Would you still have to license your boat if you had let's say, two small ob's of 4hp or less? Or is the licensing rule on hp accumulative? Just curious?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:10   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best Outboard For Heavy Weather

Be real tempted to put a 4 HP sticker on whatever motor I had.
I have a 6 HP sticker on my 20 HP motor to help prevent theft. Believe it or not but everyone so far has thought it was a 6 HP. I’ve even had people comment on how strong it is for 6 HP.

In Fl I think you have to register (license) it if it has a motor of any HP but not sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 13:01   #30

Yes replacing the sticker is always an option, especially a 4 with a 6. The registration above 4hp is only for Queensland, in Vic all boats with outboards need to be registered, don't know about other states.
I think if you had two 4hp outboards the water police would probably say you have the equivalent of 8hp but that is just what i rwkon would happen.
elscotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, weather