Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 14:34   #31

Re: Best Outboard For Heavy Weath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebeedee View Post
I am leaning towards the Mercury 5 horsepower because of the extra long shaft option.
Both Tohatsu and Mercury come in a 25" shaft. Tohatsu makes the engines on the small displacement Mercury motors anyway.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 15:19   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Both Tohatsu and Mercury come in a 25" shaft. Tohatsu makes the engines on the small displacement Mercury motors anyway.
Like I mentioned before and it is important for a small boat sailor, the Mercury 5 HP 25" Outboard has an onboard tank which eliminates the need for the fuel line and external tank at times especially when out for a day sail. The Tohatsu doesn't appear to have it

I've used just the onboard tank on much longer sails that lasted for days
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:24   #33

Boat: Nautitech Open 46 Cat
Re: Best Outboard For Heavy Weather

Quote:
I have decided to stay away from propane motors because of there price. As all boat owners probably feel, too much money has already been spent on this boat!
Your underpowered!!! With a 25 know wind I wouldnt want anything under 15. Doesn matter the brand as long as it starts everytime always. I have a 92 15 Mariner that does just that... never ever fails. But I do have it serviced annually. Have had the same reliability with evinrudes also. Definitely not mercury and as much as I like Yamaha, they dont give me that reliability. Buy something that you would feel good about if you had your grandkids aboard and wanted to make sure they are at no risk ever!
windrider9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It sounds like you need a proper craft for the conditions and that a different outboard is not the solution.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider9999 View Post
Your underpowered!!! With a 25 know wind I wouldnt want anything under 15. Doesn matter the brand as long as it starts everytime always. I have a 92 15 Mariner that does just that... never ever fails. But I do have it serviced annually. Have had the same reliability with evinrudes also. Definitely not mercury and as much as I like Yamaha, they dont give me that reliability. Buy something that you would feel good about if you had your grandkids aboard and wanted to make sure they are at no risk ever!
A 15 hp outboard would be way too much for his boat and if it's 4 stroke way too heavy.

I have a Mercury 5 hp 4 stroke 25" Shaft Outboard on my 6600 lb Bristol 27 and many times in heavier weather conditions I'll use the mainsail along with the outboard........ in open water. Once in my creek I motor only (unless the motor has failed then I sail it in)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:57   #36

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

I have used an outboard on a much heavier boat. It was useless in the conditions you describe. Any outboard, even a long shaft will cavitate or completely come out of the water. You have to sail until the water flattens out more.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00   #37

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider9999 View Post
15hp on a 17' 1600 pound sailboat? Way too much power and would really throw the trim off. A 6hp 25" shaft Tohatsu Sailpro moved my old Compac 23 (3500#) easily and had no problem going into 25 knot winds. A 25" 9.9hp Suzuki pushes my Sabre 28 (7000ish pounds) into stiff winds without a problem. The key with both is the 25" shaft keeping the prop in the water. Both boats have much more windage than the M17.

4-6hp 25" shaft with a high thrust prop should easily drive the M17 as long as the bracket allows the prop to get deep.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:10   #38

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I have the 25" Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke on a Sirius 21. It starts easy, and charges the battery. External tank only. I like it.

It seems like plenty of power, but I haven't tried to motor into 25kts of breeze yet.

I would buy Tohatsu over Mercury, and Yamaha over either. I have had all three. If there is a 2 stroke Tohatsu or Yamaha 9.9 that weighs about the same as the 4 stroke 6, in the situation you describe, I would go for the 9.9

I have heard people say Mercury is the same as Tohatsu. A mechanic in Victoria, BC, where they work on both, tells me that the Mercurys. have the same block, but the stuff bolted on to the engine is different, and they have more problems with Mercurys.

In Canada, you don't have to register a boat if it's under 10hp, so 9.9 is popular. Some of the 15s (I'm told) are the same as the 9.9 of the same brand, so a sticker swap could be an option
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:11   #39

A bracket with very long lowering ability is likely more important than "which" motor. In that sea state you are pushing air at times with the prop.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
I have the 25" Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke on a Sirius 21. It starts easy, and charges the battery. External tank only. I like it.

It seems like plenty of power, but I haven't tried to motor into 25kts of breeze yet.

I would buy Tohatsu over Mercury, and Yamaha over either. I have had all three. If there is a 2 stroke Tohatsu or Yamaha 9.9 that weighs about the same as the 4 stroke 6, in the situation you describe, I would go for the 9.9

I have heard people say Mercury is the same as Tohatsu. A mechanic in Victoria, BC, where they work on both, tells me that the Mercurys. have the same block, but the stuff bolted on to the engine is different, and they have more problems with Mercurys.

In Canada, you don't have to register a boat if it's under 10hp, so 9.9 is popular. Some of the 15s (I'm told) are the same as the 9.9 of the same brand, so a sticker swap could be an option
My Mercury 5 HP 4 stroke 25" shaft is 7 years old. The only time it failed was after I tried to get three years out of an impeller!

I've changed the plug once in 7 years and the fuel filter once

The Mercury 5 hp has the internal tank and the external capabilities. I only mess with the external tank if I plan to motor 10-20 miles or more.

The internal tank is fine for day sailing or long distance if the wind is up and will stay up
Old 06-08-2018, 14:16   #41

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Your engine is too small. I would go for an outboard of about seven to ten horsepower.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 14:45   #42

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I stayed through a winter in SF bay as well as much windier places like wellington NZ.

Never used any kind of outboard or engine. Definately you don't need it, and with your smaller boat would be even easier.
Winter in SF Bay is usually calm and medium warm (50F to 65F daytime) often sunny and beautiful. If you were there only in winter, I can understand how you think it is windier almost anywhere else. Summer is a different story.

There are two marinas in SF Bay that are in the wind tunnel formed by a gap in the hills between bay and ocean. Oyster Cove and Brisbane Marinas channel entrance is in that tunnel. Every afternoon from May to mid-September the wind will blow around 20 to 25 knots. The dredged channel is almost directly upwind, and narrows to maybe 150' for maybe 200 yards, before you can turn the corner to get into the marina. Outside the dredged channel on your port you have rock breakwater and on starboard quite shallow (bares at minus tides). You could possibly tack into it with a 17' boat, but then once into Brisbane Marina you need to turn upwind again to get into the fairway leading to your slip. In Brisbane marina, the wind is often quite shifty since they are on the edge of the wind shadow of Mt. San Bruno. In Oyster Cove marina, it just blows like stink, steadily all afternoon and evening.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 16:52   #43

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I am leaning towards the Mercury 5 horsepower because of the extra long shaft option.

Anyways, I think I will jus stick with buying a better motor.
I hope you haven't bought this yet. Dad has a new Merc 2-stroke 5HP. It is hideous. I reckon he is seriously regretting giving me his old 1987 Merc 6HP which had died but I fixed in a morning.

The 6 is a two pot, smooth as silk, starts first try, idles so quietly you forget it is running. Smooth, single action throttle with integrated reverse.

The 5 is a single pot vibrating monster. A total b-tch to start, rough as guts at any rev range and noisy as hell. Gear shift is plain nasty.

Don't do it! Try one of the other brands suggested, failing that, buy some oars. But not that Merc.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I hope you haven't bought this yet. Dad has a new Merc 2-stroke 5HP. It is hideous. I reckon he is seriously regretting giving me his old 1987 Merc 6HP which had died but I fixed in a morning.

The 6 is a two pot, smooth as silk, starts first try, idles so quietly you forget it is running. Smooth, single action throttle with integrated reverse.

The 5 is a single pot vibrating monster. A total b-tch to start, rough as guts at any rev range and noisy as hell. Gear shift is plain nasty.

Don't do it! Try one of the other brands suggested, failing that, buy some oars. But not that Merc.
The 5 hp 4 stroke is easy to start and it doesn't stink like the 2 strokes.

Gear shift is right up front which makes it very convenient

Mine is so clean running I've changed the plug once in 7 years. I can motor for maybe 4 hours on a little over a gallon of gas

A year or so ago I was motoring across the calm bay when this cloudline brought in some fresh breeze. I rolled out the jib but left the engine running....old video

Old 07-08-2018, 08:33   #45

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

I commiserate with your outboard problems. Even a well function outboard can be defeated in short choppy seas.
Here are my thoughts, based on personal experiences.

A leaking external tank hose indicates:
you have not installed it correctly - it should snap in - and cannot be pulled out without pressing down on the lever.
Or
The O ring is damaged. It is not always easy to see damage, so replace it. They cost almost nothing, so buy several.
The trick to remove the old O ring is to use a fishhook.

1. If the hose is stiff, and not supple, it’s old, and should br replaced. Old hose means suspect O rings, which can cause leaks.
If the squeeze bulb is stiff, it too needs to be replaced. Sometimes you can buy separate hose ends and squeeze bulbs, but you’ll save nothing, and still distrust your external tank. So buy a complete new hose assembly,

2. If you have to switch to internal tank because you don’t trust the external, there is something wrong with the external. Leaking fuel means air is getting in, so engine stutters or quits. Powering for any length of time means external tank should be used. Don’t even think of refilling internal tank in choppy conditions.

3. The prop should not come out of the water. If it does, you need a long shaft outboard. Or you have to throttle back, which won’t give you enough power to get home.
You need a long shaft in choppy conditions, and I’d go for the 6hp long.

4. Leave the main up. Have the mainsheet close to hand.

Note
Practice makes perfect when changing O rings (that’s why you buy several)
It’s easy, once you know how to use the fish hook.

Safe sailing
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, weather