Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 15:07   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Best place to buy a Yamaha 15 2 stroke between Martinique and Panama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post

Do not confuse a cruiser's ability to import things free of duty in many countries with the unusal option reclaim duty already paid by the store when importing stuff.
True, dat.
Old 08-12-2015, 15:25   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
We're thinking of upgrading to a yammy 15. What's the best deal en route. Abc's, Columbia, Panama ? Tax free somwhere?
Thanks for any hot tips 💰
You mean Columbia the district or Colombia the country?
If the latter, you are likely to find better deals next door in Panama.

Cheers
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 15:36   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter200 View Post
there is no such thing as a cruising permit in most islands below the BVI's and USVI's
Funny, we have a folder full of cruising permits from all the countries below the VI's that we have been to. One from every single country, in fact.

Although it was several years ago when we were there, the Budget Marine in Curacao was a very large and well-stocked store. They had a full range of outboards there. I don't know the relative prices, but I don't think you will need to wait for an ocean freight shipment to get one.

The OP wants a Yamaha. Regarding the Tohatsu, it is a very well done OB. I would rank it above an Enduro. Personally, I don't think the Enduros deserve their reputation. They are cheaply made and compromise on performance (and noise, and fuel consumption) - after all, that is their entire reason for existence.

Now, the Yamaha 15HP non-Enduro is probably the best 2-stroke small engine ever made. The Enduro rides that reputation in most people's minds, but certainly doesn't deserve it. The operating characteristics between the two are night and day (the Enduro sounds like it is tearing itself apart in comparison, while shaking the boat burning gobs of fuel and smoking terribly).

Regarding repair, etc - everywhere we have gone, there has been Tohatsu and Yamaha places. We have never been anywhere where Tohatsu hasn't been supported and Yamaha has.

But all of these are very simple 2-stroke outboards. I can't imagine any place that doesn't have someone who can fix 2-stroke outboards regardless of what brand they are. Personally, I can't believe there are cruisers who don't take the small amount of time necessary to learn how to fix these extremely simple (and extremely critical) things themselves.

And here is the secret to never needing to find someone to fix your outboard: install an external fuel filter/water separator and have a carb rebuild and water pump kit on hand. That filter is the real key - 99.9% of all problems are due to fuel contaminants and water. Yet, I seem to always fail at convincing anyone to spring for the $30 to add one. And not the cheap in-line plastic thing with a screen - a real filter/separator. I am about to start refusing to work on anyone's OB anymore that does not have one, since all the problems I help with are due to the lack of one.

Well what about "parts"? Good luck. It doesn't matter which engine brand you have, chances are you will be Fedex'ing in a small box of whatever you require from a central location. The days of dealers being fully stocked with parts are long gone. We had a friend who needed a new carburetor jet for his Enduro 15 in Panama. No jets to be found and it would be a month to ship one in (from the US central warehouse). Since we were in the US at the time, we picked it up for him. Parts availability in far off places is either no more, or hit and miss. EVERYONE now relies on drop-shipping just in time. Inventory is harmful to business profit now.

But again, the OP is looking for an Enduro 15 along his way. They exist in Curacao and Panama for ~$2K USD plus or minus. They exist in Colombia, but will cost a lot more. My advice is to just pick one up where it is most convenient and don't worry about where you can find one for $100 less. Sounds like Martinique works for that. In Panama, you will be paying at least $100 to get to the city and get it back to the boat. I suspect it may be similar in Curacao too.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 17:11   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks again. I'm swaying after lifting an enduro off the floor in a shop today. Pretty heavy. I'm leaning toward the tohatsu 9.8 (26kg)Well actually swaying between that, the tohatsu 18(41 kg) , yammy enduro(38kg) and yammy 15 lesuire(36kg) if I can find one. Our Johnson is 33kg. A few kgs makes a pretty big difference and I'm wondering if the extra 🐴 are worth the weight penalty. The Johnson planes three of us pretty easily at around 17kn, but it's frustrating if we have a couple of friends on board and can't get up and plane. French islands don't sell 2 strokes so no luck in Martinique. The rib is a highfield 310 at around 50kg it's easy to drag up on the beach solo or lift on the davits without using the winch. I think the extra 5 or so kgs might have me reaching for the davits winch handle... I know the 5kg is just 5l of fuel so it's swings and roundabouts.
There's a tohatsu 9.8 on a. Highfield just down the dock so maybe I'll ask them to take me for a quick spin and see if it has as much go as the Johnson.
The main reason for changing is maintainance. Johnson haven't been made for 15 years and parts are rare, especially around the Caribbean. Asking mechanics to work on them is an invitation for ridicule as they fumble and mumble about American made engines and laugh with their friends wandering past at the guy that has a Johnson
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 17:17   #20

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I am not the OP.
I am afraid you are unaware of an important detail of how Budget Marine works. Their lowest price is for sales from the SXM store to boats that are not registered there. That price can be well below their own catalog if you request a quotation by email.

If you buy from another Budget Marine store the price will be higher. They will ship from the SXM store to other countries but only if they do not have a store in that country.

Do not confuse a cruiser's ability to import things free of duty in many countries with the unusal option reclaim duty already paid by the store when importing stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I wasn't implying you where the OP and l am aware if how it works thank you, the lowest price is always given to any vessel at any location, always the honest shopkeepers out there eh? so long as the boat owner/captain can prove that the boat is registered elsewhere by showing the Yacht in Transit customs document. Budget do ship to their own Budget stores in Bonaire and Curacao. (Both locations have fine stores in fact there is two stores in Curacao) If l order part that Budget Curacao does not have in stock they will charge me an additional shipping cost for me to ship it down to Curacao and then require 50% deposit before its shipped. l am certainly not confused as any company importing into SMX which is duty free and then shipping the part to another location i.e. Curacao the purchaser will pay between 9 and 27% duty on the imported item depending on what it is and then 9% purchase tax from the store especially if the correct procedures and relevant Yacht in Transit document is not submitted correctly. The OP is past SMX now and was asking where between Martinique and Panama would be the best location to buy a new outboard, so SMX is now irrelevant. All l was suggesting was to walk into an approved vendor store with a credit card/cash in one hand your customs document in the other make a great deal save the taxes and take the engine back to the boat the same day. Forget online shopping and shipping between islands especially when local approved vendors apart from Budget and Island Water World, there are other stockists you know😉 with keener prices and I'm not confusing any cruisers abililities, l am a cruiser too along with having a company based in the Free Zone shipping Globally to the oul industry so also aware and not too confused of "how it works"
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 17:21   #21

Boat: Beneteau 50

No cruising permits in the ABC's Mark not now anyway. I always thought one needed a customs Yacht in Transit document as you would always have one of thoses having cleared in.

Peter - If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 17:53   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've heard you can turn a 9.8 into a 15 with minor changes.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 18:15   #23
One of Those

Quote:
Thanks again. I'm swaying after lifting an enduro off the floor in a shop today. Pretty heavy. I'm leaning toward the tohatsu 9.8 (26kg)Well actually swaying between that, the tohatsu 18(41 kg) , yammy enduro(38kg) and yammy 15 lesuire(36kg) if I can find one. Our Johnson is 33kg. A few kgs makes a pretty big difference and I'm wondering if the extra 🐴 are worth the weight penalty. The Johnson planes three of us pretty easily at around 17kn, but it's frustrating if we have a couple of friends on board and can't get up and plane. French islands don't sell 2 strokes so no luck in Martinique. The rib is a highfield 310 at around 50kg it's easy to drag up on the beach solo or lift on the davits without using the winch. I think the extra 5 or so kgs might have me reaching for the davits winch handle... I know the 5kg is just 5l of fuel so it's swings and roundabouts.
There's a tohatsu 9.8 on a. Highfield just down the dock so maybe I'll ask them to take me for a quick spin and see if it has as much go as the Johnson.
The main reason for changing is maintainance. Johnson haven't been made for 15 years and parts are rare, especially around the Caribbean. Asking mechanics to work on them is an invitation for ridicule as they fumble and mumble about American made engines and laugh with their friends wandering past at the guy that has a Johnson
That's all part of the reasons we're looking to get rid of a West Marine RIB and 15 hp Merc, hoping to pick up a 12 ft. Porta Bote with a 6 hp.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:45   #24

Quote:
The Johnson planes three of us pretty easily at around 17kn, but it's frustrating if we have a couple of friends on board and can't get up and plane.

The rib is a highfield 310 at around 50kg it's easy to drag up on the beach solo or lift on the davits without using the winch. I think the extra 5 or so kgs might have me reaching for the davits winch handle.
The planing issue may be as easy as dropping an inch in prop pitch.

Can you put a purchase system on your davits? Our lifting lines run through triple pulley blocks on each end - with the central pulley on each being a ratchet. I lift our 340lb dinghy setup by myself with a line in each hand. And I am a weak skinny guy. The ratchet pulley is the key - it removes the load from you after each pull.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:32   #25

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Got my Yamaha Enduro 15 hp from TESA.com.pa in Panama City, Panama for total of $2100 US end of April 2015. If fluent in Spanish ordering easier but sometimes have English speaker available when call main number. No response to several Emails. Best to have them deliver to their branch on Amador causeway ( shorter, easier drive if coming from Colon or could get taxi to deliver to dinghy dock if anchored out in PC. Good duty free shop near there, only need your passport to buy what you want and take it with you-booze included. When we were in Columbia priced same engine and was significantly more but don't remember exact amount.
Love the engine but since most commonly stolen immediately painted cover purple & double SS chain lock it always.

Bruce
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:11   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The planing issue may be as easy as dropping an inch in prop pitch.

Can you put a purchase system on your davits? Our lifting lines run through triple pulley blocks on each end - with the central pulley on each being a ratchet. I lift our 340lb dinghy setup by myself with a line in each hand. And I am a weak skinny guy. The ratchet pulley is the key - it removes the load from you after each pull.

Mark

We have 3:1 so I'm probably just pulling 25kg on the dumb end and 15kg on the bow plus a bit of friction ( fuel tank is under the mid seat ) . Lines run through jam cleats on the davits. It's pretty good as is. I'll look into lubing the lines and blocks a bit as well. Most days it's fine and there's a winch next to the stern but it's the old fashioned type you need to turn manually
Thanks for the tips. Panama sounds good if I can hold out that long...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 14:55   #27

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Panama sounds good if I can hold out that long...
FWIW I bought an Enduro from the dealer in Panama City and it was the exact same price as in Guatemala.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:01   #28
One of Those

Quote:
. Panama sounds good if I can hold out that long...

It's all pretty much a downwind trip, isn't it? heck, you could probably even make it without sails. eventually.

What are prices like in Cartagena? I've been hearing good stuff about getting boat work done there, but nothing about their import duties.
Old 09-12-2015, 15:19   #29

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Monte, I posted this today on Facebook, San Blas Cruisers.

Buying a new outboard motor?
I have always been a Yamaha fanatic. I did not think anything came close to the ubiquitous Yamaha (Enduro or Salt Water) 9.9/15 2 stroke until now.
The Yammie 9.9 is the same engine as the 15 but is restricted, an easy mod to return it to 15.
Today I went to criticize (for my own purposes) an 18HP Tohatsu Ever Run. I was stumped. It is a larger engine than the Yammie @ 497cc and has a larger crankshaft with a stroke of 52mm meaning it will have larger bearings, this is good. The overall build quality is superb. I don't like the control system that might become prone to friction if not maintained, but the Yamaha by comparison is cable controlled, and they also tend to break if not maintained. It weighs in at 1Kg (2.2 Lbs) more than the Yamaha, but 3 Hp more, which may mean the difference in planing or not.
Use of Monel bolts on the power head and a 5 coat anti corrosion system is the same as the Yamaha.
The only thing I could not verify was the metallurgy, I know Yamaha make their own metal, but Tohatsu have been around even longer in the Outboard market, so they should have it down by now.
Price....Well the Tohatsu I just looked at cost $1900 purchased through a dealer at Shelter Bay, who used the cruising permit to get it tax free from the importer in Panama City. I should think that if you went direct to http://www.motomaronline.com you should get a better deal.
In summary, and speaking as an outboard motor fanatic, the only deal-breaker is the availability of spares, as Yamaha has more market penetration than Tohatsu in most cruising grounds. This means that borrowing spares from other cruisers, or the sum of knowledge for troubleshooting by swapping out parts is going to be more difficult with the Tohatsu. That being said, and I hate to admit it, Tohatsu seem to have hit the mark with this model. It looks like the first real alternative to the much loved Yamaha.
Old 09-12-2015, 15:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Tohatsu seem to have hit the mark with this model. It looks like the first real alternative to the much loved Yamaha.
The Tohatsu 18 has been on the market since the early/mid 90's. It has always been a real alternative to the Yamaha Enduro. It is not a new model, unless they have redesigned it in the past year.

Like I said, the Enduro rides a reputation it really does not deserve.

Mark

Tags
2 stroke, Martinique, Panama