Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14   #1

Boat: Peterson Cutter 44
Beta 60 vs Cummins 4B3.3M noise/vibration

Hi, we are very close to pulling the trigger on a new engine to replace our beloved Perkins 4-154 on our Peterson 44. Lots to consider but one thing I'd like to ask here is: has anyone compared the noise/vibration level of the Beta 60 to the Cummins 4B3.3M? I've fooled around on You tube but it's too hard to compare due to the different installations or even someone running the engine on an open test rack.

So more realistically have any of you replaced your Perkins 4-154 with either of the above engines? If so how do you compare the noise/vibration level to your old 4-154? All three might be very much the same. However one friend with a larger Cummins said his really had the shakes below a thousand RPM. While we are at it did your Beta or Cummins have more power than your old 4-154?

Thanks, Russell
Blue Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:28   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Beta 60 vs Cummins 4B3.3M noise/vibration

I put a 4b3.3 in my peterson. Yes it has a tad more hp. Guess that its a little less noise. No issue with vibration at low rpm. I cruise with it at at round 2200 rpm sometimes push it higher depending on conditions. Direct drop in for the 4154. Reworked all the hoses and water lift. Went with the vetus lift because it fit real nice. Replaced the fuel tank while the engine was out. Highly recommend this if you havent already. Also replced bedding plate and pulled the cockpit drains for a complete rebed and inspection. You could probably upsize the prop. to an 18 if your running with the stock 17" prop. Hope that helps
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:57   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

No personal experience but over on boatdiesel, Tony Athens who is the resident Cummins guru has said that the Cummins 4B really shakes.

Check to see if the Beta has a balance shaft. If it does it will be smooth at anything over idle.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 20:01   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I helped my friend instal a Yanmar 4JH turbo. It run very smooth.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 20:39   #5

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Yeah, it shakes a bit, but if you bed it correctly - it won't be a problem. I have a pair of 3.9's in the Bodrum gulet, a single in the Riverdale and had another pair in the Frers. 155 hp @ 2800 rpm. All are naturals - I hate turbos b/c they don't last more than 3000 hrs before o/h.

The 3.3 is a smaller displacement 65hp @ 2600 rpms
Old 10-10-2013, 05:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Russell.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:41   #7

Thanks everyone, that is great to have a sister ship pipe in as that's the best or closest info one can get.

Sabray: did you use the old Borg Warner or maybe you got the PRM? One Peterson owner said he had to use a spacer on the forward mounts by 3/4 inch. And we need to have a inline output with whatever tranny we end up with. I like the "get home" lockout feature that the PRM offers.
Old 11-10-2013, 13:37   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Beta engines well known for their smoothness. I know a few people who have them who think they are the bees' knees. A few engine techs have told me they think they run smoother than Yanmar. Certainly they are a bit less expensive, no doubt about that.

One great aspect about Beta is that they will design and fabricate custom "feet" for the engine to fit on your existing mounts. Costs about $250 and that is a helluvalot cheaper than redoing the beds.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09   #9

Tried to post a video of my 4b3.3 running. Put a glass in the cockpit and started the motor. Not even a ripple. I did not have to jack up the mounts. I stayed with the warner tranny. I like the prm but it was back ordered when I needed the engine. Warner tranny is so widely used and everywhere people know how to rebuild them.
The I don t have one but they shake cause somewhere I read it is garbage advice.
When I get back on land I'll post the video.
It has been a great engine. Checked valve lash it was near spot on at 750 hours. Top end looks like day one.
Old 13-10-2013, 09:26   #10

http://youtu.be/E0BekBRWiDo
Pretty boring video but hope it helps.
Old 14-10-2013, 10:14   #11

Not boring at all, I watched it about four times. Then got the headphones and listened to it another three. LOL

You've been very helpful thanks again!

Tags
noise