Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2023, 15:30   #1

Beta engines

I have a new Beta 38 with a 120A alternator and a "polyvee" belt. (It's a wide belt about 7/8"). My first cruising season with this new engine (150hrs) I am seeing more alternator belt dust than I expected. The belt itself looks fine both at all the vees and the edges. Am I expecting too much to be complaining about a little belt dust? Or should I be concerned? I've checked and adjusted the belt tension according to Beta tech support recommendations.
Perhaps this is normal. Anyone else with a similar engine see this??
Thanks
CaptainLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 01:45   #2

Re: Beta engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLen View Post
I have a new Beta 38 with a 120A alternator and a "polyvee" belt. (It's a wide belt about 7/8"). My first cruising season with this new engine (150hrs) I am seeing more alternator belt dust than I expected. The belt itself looks fine both at all the vees and the edges. Am I expecting too much to be complaining about a little belt dust? Or should I be concerned? I've checked and adjusted the belt tension according to Beta tech support recommendations.

Perhaps this is normal. Anyone else with a similar engine see this??

Thanks

If you’re seeing belt dust , it can only mean that the belt is wearing and will eventually fail. It could be something as simple as the belt being one groove out of line on one or two of the pulleys or as complicated as a pulley being out of line. Take a close look at the belt position on ALL the pulleys and run a straight edge across the crankshaft pulley to asses whether the alternator or water pump is out of line. You might like to go for a better quality belt like the “Gates micro-v”, I’m not sure what brand the poly-v belt is that Betamarine uses but I’m confident that Gates are the best.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 04:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

I have a several year old Beta 38 with a 120A Iskra alternator. The engine has 160 hours on it and I have not had and problem with belt dust. I have left the alternator with internal regulation which may not work the alternator as hard as an external regulator.
Old 17-09-2023, 07:49   #4

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
If you’re seeing belt dust , it can only mean that the belt is wearing and will eventually fail. It could be something as simple as the belt being one groove out of line on one or two of the pulleys or as complicated as a pulley being out of line. Take a close look at the belt position on ALL the pulleys and run a straight edge across the crankshaft pulley to asses whether the alternator or water pump is out of line. You might like to go for a better quality belt like the “Gates micro-v”, I’m not sure what brand the poly-v belt is that Betamarine uses but I’m confident that Gates are the best.
=========================

thanks

Having dust for the last 150 hours, since replaced original Westerbeke by a cross-referenced NAPA. ”almost identical”

Went back to compare both, NAPA is slightly wider and grooves are different.

Tomorrow, will order the more expensive original!!!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine