Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 15:10   #16

The Beta 2cyl unit is based on a kubota z 482 an engine renown for its reliability and low cost spares its raw water system is protected by a anode unlike the rival nanni which suffers from cooler and manifold corrosion. Z482s are used in many small mowers --tractors etc.

Cheers, Doug.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 16:17   #17

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
l have looked hard for issues with Beta's and cannot find fault. The US distributor in North Carolina is very helpful and a wealth of info on repower. l am looking at repowering my old Westerbeke 33 to a 40 something HP and Beta looks good.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 17:46   #18

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
The Z482 mentioned below is the base engine for the Beta14, the Beta16 referred to initially is based on the Kubota Z602.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
The Beta 2cyl unit is based on a kubota z 482 an engine renown for its reliability and low cost spares its raw water system is protected by a anode unlike the rival nanni which suffers from cooler and manifold corrosion. Z482s are used in many small mowers --tractors etc.

Cheers, Doug.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 18:42   #19
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
FWIW, I'm in the process of ordering a Beta 75 to replace my Westerbeke 58. Both Stan (Beta's US distributor) and the group in the UK have been very helpful in fulfilling my (rather unique) requirements.

S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 21:08   #20

Boat: Farrier f27
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
FWIW, I'm in the process of ordering a Beta 75 to replace my Westerbeke 58. Both Stan (Beta's US distributor) and the group in the UK have been very helpful in fulfilling my (rather unique) requirements.

What are you driving off this?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 08:07   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
The things I have heard and read on Beta were all positive.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 13:22   #22

I repowered my Pretorien's MD11 with a new Beta 28 with Saildrive last fall. I did the entire job myself, including removeing the old engine bed and installing the new one that came with the engine. There was also an option to use a mount with my existing saildrive. The new engine is great, getting it Seattle was painless and last year, they were very price competitive with both Yanmar and Volvo. I dealt mostly with Stan in North Carolina, who put in the extra mile to make everything go smooth, and there is a local company that also will do a repower if you are looking to hire out.

Drop me a line if you have any specific questions...
buchhla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58   #23
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
What are you driving off this?
400A alternator.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:08   #24
S&S

Here it is (waiting for paint)

Old 04-10-2011, 11:36   #25

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
Re: Beta Marine Diesel

thanks for this...I'm looking at the Beta 60 to replace my Westerbeke W58, our boat is 29,000 pounds empty, which, of course, she never is. Why did you choose the 75 over the 60...the 400 amp alternator?

John
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:30   #26

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

I re-powered my boat with a Beta 28...

Replaced an older Universal 5424 (3 cyl) that I believe had replaced an Atomic 4...

Purchased through Hirschfeld marine in Sauscilito... Spoke with the folks on the east coast and all parties were very professional and very helpful. They understand the dynamics of having a newer brand of boat motor respective to the old name brands. (Geese, one only needs to look at the extreme opinions on this thread for Mono vs. Cat boats to see how old opinions are difficult to modify) I was and am convinced I made the best purchase possible.

The Beta marine is engineered with the end user in mind. Besides having the base Kubota diesel motor (Same as most major brands) the marine specific components are designed to be user friendly.

The whole transaction completely satisfied me and my anal tendencies. This is an important issue since I was an owner/installer, they completely helped me through the process... I fully recommend the product and the company with it's "old school style" customer service.

Of course this in contrast to the Westerbeke & Universal folks who didn't even bother returning phone calls when shopping for costs of new motors... Really, if I had a $10,000 dollar product for sale, I would for sure be all over any and all leads. I was a serious buyer and they blew it!

I fully recommend the Beta, oh yes, did I share how great it is to do virtually all maintenance from the front end of the motor? I can do just about every needed check and maintenance need without climbing in and behind objects just to get to the filters, pumps, injectors, belts and all of those cool things. Oh yes, they have engineered a really cool hand pump installed on the motor to empty the oil sump making the oil changes super easy. Makes the whole process quick and way easy.

The company also supplies a parts list that allows you to purchase all Kubota parts at any Kubota tractor supply (Kubota = largest diesel manufacturer <100hp in the world) so parts and filters are way easy to find and are less cost accordingly.

Just my .02 worth.

No affiliation, just a satisfied, analytical customer.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:51   #27

Boat: Freedom 38

Feral Cat;

I need to rebuild or replace on 3gm30. Spoke with Stanley at Beta who said that 50% of his sales are to people who self install. I was wondering what your experience level was before you took this on (pick one a) handy b) didn't know screwdriver from spanner c) retired desiel mechanic.

Would you do it again? Any "watch out for" things that you would offer prior to someone taking on this type of project?

Thanks

Ed Reiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cat View Post
I re-powered my boat with a Beta 28...

Replaced an older Universal 5424 (3 cyl) that I believe had replaced an Atomic 4...

Purchased through Hirschfeld marine in Sauscilito... Spoke with the folks on the east coast and all parties were very professional and very helpful. They understand the dynamics of having a newer brand of boat motor respective to the old name brands. (Geese, one only needs to look at the extreme opinions on this thread for Mono vs. Cat boats to see how old opinions are difficult to modify) I was and am convinced I made the best purchase possible.

The Beta marine is engineered with the end user in mind. Besides having the base Kubota diesel motor (Same as most major brands) the marine specific components are designed to be user friendly.

The whole transaction completely satisfied me and my anal tendencies. This is an important issue since I was an owner/installer, they completely helped me through the process... I fully recommend the product and the company with it's "old school style" customer service.

Of course this in contrast to the Westerbeke & Universal folks who didn't even bother returning phone calls when shopping for costs of new motors... Really, if I had a $10,000 dollar product for sale, I would for sure be all over any and all leads. I was a serious buyer and they blew it!

I fully recommend the Beta, oh yes, did I share how great it is to do virtually all maintenance from the front end of the motor? I can do just about every needed check and maintenance need without climbing in and behind objects just to get to the filters, pumps, injectors, belts and all of those cool things. Oh yes, they have engineered a really cool hand pump installed on the motor to empty the oil sump making the oil changes super easy. Makes the whole process quick and way easy.

The company also supplies a parts list that allows you to purchase all Kubota parts at any Kubota tractor supply (Kubota = largest diesel manufacturer <100hp in the world) so parts and filters are way easy to find and are less cost accordingly.

Just my .02 worth.

No affiliation, just a satisfied, analytical customer.
ereiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:06   #28

Boat: departure 35

I worked for a Kubota dealer for 5 years after I retired from the navy. I absolutely love those engines. They are the most trouble free I have ever worked on. That said, you still have to keep them up as nothing is bullet proof but in Amish country where I worked, if those people can't kill one hardly from abuse and neglect then I doubt any sailors will either. The only ones I can remember overhauling were badly neglected. Stuff like missing oil caps letting water get in, manure that never gets washed off plugging the radiator and blowing head gaskets. It's a great engine. I'm going to replace my A4 with one when it gives me a reason. BTW, I have had nothing to do with Kubota for almost 10 years so I have no reason to lie about their quality now.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:30   #29

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

Ed, yes I would do it again, in fact if you know of a nice catamaran that has a blown engine or two (Even submerged history) I might be really interested in discussing a purchase for restore...

I would qualify my experience prior to the install as only handy...

Things I learned to look for... Prop requirements, match the prop to the motor... I have a max-prop and tried to adjust to the new power band... so far, unsuccessfully.

Make sure the motor bed (Stringers are located correctly for the motor mounts, very important! The Beta motor mounts work great, my stringers were about 3"-4" low and I needed to manufacture some custom blocks to raise the bed up.

Other than that... Fairly straight forward... I recommend a good mechanic available to look over your shoulder now and then just to make sure everything gets a good housekeeping seal of approval (Shaft alignment, key connections) and the like... Prior to splashing.

In my case I did the whole removal/install on a mooring and hauled out to replace bottom paint/adjust prop after install of motor, which provided an opportunity to make sure the shaft alignment was dead on... Nice to know that it will work correctly stuff from a mechanical standpoint...

The Beta folks (Especially Hirschfeld marine) were readily available to answer questions even after the purchase... I asked many questions that I am sure they got tired of, not that they expressed that, just I sure would have been...

If you are handy at all, have the time, want to save some serious $$$ and have a mechanic available to repair any potential problems/issues... Go for it! I will tell you I have a much greater sense of how things work, familiarity with all systems, can troubleshoot just about anything at issue with the install and knowledge with intimate details of everything in the motor compartment.

Not to mention, I was able to relocate a bunch of electrical, repaint the engine compartment, and generally detail the inner workings of the boat to my anal tendencies... Makes me much more comfortable when shoving off from the mooring...

If you feel like you can pull it off, go for it... Not easy but doable!

Hope this helps...

Wayne.
Old 28-10-2011, 22:07   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Just finished 10 hours past repowering with Beta. Professional installation. Nothing but grins from this corner. Not only does it purr, but it stinks less than the Westerbeke and is easier to service. Not one drop of oil on my bilge. Getting hull speed at 2700 rpm.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, diesel