Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58   #1

Boat: Peter Duck Ketch, 29ft, "Jemima Puddleduck"
Beta or Yanmar ?

I have to re-engine my 29 ft, 1962, wooden Ketch. She needs a 30HP engine and the choice seems to be between Yanmar and Beta. Both seem to get pretty excellent write-ups and naturally the salemen for each think their make is best.

The Forum references are a few years old now, so I thought I would seek up-to-date views.

Any advice, or comparison of the two from experience, that would help me make a sensible choice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks a lot,

David
Aldgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
both are high revving engines (3600 rpm) but yanmar is probably more popular .. i wish there were more like the lugger or volvo with low cruising rpms that give quieter running and less vibrations (sailors like the peace and quite you know)
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53   #3

Boat: Tartan 40
I have a Yanmar 3YM 30 on my Luders 33. Love the engine. I achieve 5.8 at 2400 rpm and 6.0-6.1 at 2600 rpm. I understand that the engine "ideally" should be run around 2800 but I find it nice and quiet at the slightly lower RPMs and sips fuel at less than 0.5 GPM. I find similar quiet with this engine at 2500 RPM as a Westerbeke at 1600 on another boat I sail on.
To all who will now attack me for abusing this engine with too large a prop, don't worry, I can hit 3600 RPM wide open. At more than 2800 RPM we only get up to 6.3 knots and after that just squat the stern more.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25   #4

which brand has a service agent in your are you trust more?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 15:10   #5

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
I love Beta

I replaced my '59 graymarine 30 hp gas motor last winter with a Beta 28 diesel. Couldn't be happier. The price comparison was pretty equal and everyone pulls the "get a yanmar, all the sailors use them" like a six gun which oldly enough helped me go the other way. And I know some folks with Yanmars and if you don't have a lot of room around your engine, some maintinance can be more difficult. The Beta has all the usual maintinance items on the front of the engine, including a built in oil change pump. I only had to bleed the fuel filter as the injector pump is self bleeding. The Beta's are sold mostly for DIY repowering where as I've been told (do your own checking) Yanmar will not warrent your motor unless a Yanmar approved facility does the installation. Yanmar makes a great motor, don't get me wrong, I just chose Beta for the above mentioned items and am very pleased with the smooth, quiet operation and performance I get from the Beta.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	18413  
Old 12-08-2010, 15:50   #6

Boat: 1998 Orca (Ingrid) 38
Custom Feet

If you give them the measurements of your existing stringers, Beta will manufacture custom engine mounts to fit, so you won't need to modify the existing engine bed.

That was the clincher for us. I believe the cost of the custom feet was around $600 (2 years ago). For us this was well worth avoiding any modifications to the stringers.
Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I've been told (do your own checking) Yanmar will not warrent your motor unless a Yanmar approved facility does the installation.
I need to clarify this. Yanmar requires a certified installer certify the installation.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:47   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
if you have a 3YM30, might want to put a fuse on the 12V power to the accessory panel, my installation didn't have one, developed a short in the cable and it blew out the electronics in the accessory panel and melted the cable.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 18:12   #9

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
both are high revving engines (3600 rpm) but yanmar is probably more popular .. i wish there were more like the lugger or volvo with low cruising rpms that give quieter running and less vibrations (sailors like the peace and quite you know)
Fewer big horses instead of a bunch of little ponies! Too bad you can't get the old Sabbs any more...slow with torque and hand crank to boot.

That said, both engines have good rep. I think it would come down to parts availability where you plan to venture for those that you don't carry as spares...the ones that will go according to Murphy.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 18:37   #10

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Thank you nevermonday for the clarification, that's why I included the discaimer.

Beta includes a cross reference list for consumables, filters, impellers, belts, zinks etc. for all the major brands. The high ticket items like the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger you would have to buy from Beta and I don't expect those type items to be any cheaper than anyone elses. However, all engine parts will be available from anyone who sells Kabota parts, so you pay tractor prices instead of marine prices, if there is any difference, and providing you do your own work. Beta charges about 750 now for custom brackets. Which after building my own form 3/8 angle iron I think the money would be well spent. In my case the two engines were so different and the engine beds so specialized I needed both engines side by side to get proper measurements. In hind sight I would have gotten a better installation if I had just remade the engine beds.

Tags
yanmar