Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 08:50   #151

Re: Beware new yanmars

Reasons to be paranoid about diesel.

Reasons to be paranoid about Diesel
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Bio fuel not to be stored longer than 90 days! That could be a huge problem.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 18:24   #153

I call BS on the biodiesel shelf life, I've stored for years without issue. I've been running my diesel Mercedes since 2003 on 100% and no problems after adding over 250k miles to it. It had done 150k miles before I bought it.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 19:48   #154

Boat: St Francis 50

Alberg. If the biodiesel has not been hydrotreated (reformulated in the presence of hydrogen) it will degrade (oxidize) no question.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:30   #155

Boat: Tartan 40

An interesting article I found which correlates pre-injection in CR diesels with increased noise. I think pre-injection is designed to reduce soot/emissions but maybe those smarter than I can chime in.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...2/1/012018/pdf

Also, the new Yanmars claim to be much quieter than their predecessors. But Yanmars have long been direct injection engines which I have read are louder than indirect injection diesels (Kubota/Beta).

I am wondering head to head whether Yanmar common rail diesels are quieter than Betas. I have no doubt they are quieter than older JH engines
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 11:12   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No, the pre injection is to quieten noise. Way it works is a small shot of fuel is injected prior to the main injection event, it starts a burn that lights the main injection event as opposed to waiting on compression to do it.
It is really for a cold engine, we all are familiar with the clatter of a cold Diesel, well with CR that is pretty much gone.
First common rail that I had serious experience with was my 2001 Duramax, I sold it last year to go cruising. Common rail is not even close to being new technology.

If I had a CR engine, I'd likely want to carry a spare injector and an ECM or whatever acronym is used for the injection computer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 11:13   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Beware new yanmars

Pre injection only works at lower RPM too, at around I think 2500 it was disabled on a Duramax and you could hear the engine get louder. Reason for the RPM limit is just time, the engine hits a speed where there is just not enough time to separate the injection events

Ford calls it split shot I think

Common rails can have almost as low a NVH as a gasoline engines, listen to any of the newer Diesel pick up trucks to see.
NVH is what GM uses as an abbreviation for noise, vibration and harshness, it always has been a major hurdle for automotive Diesels, Mercedes seemingly being the only Luxury mark that people will tolerate a noisy clattery Diesel for some reason.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 16:37   #158

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I just bought a 96 Mercedes E300 D last weekend as a beater to get to my boat every weekend (150 mile round trip). Double overhead cam inline 6 cylinder non turbo, 134 H.P. bullet proof mechanically injected. This makes 6 diesels to service and play with.
Funny thing my 4x4 Dodge with a Cummins 5.9 BT is a 96 mechanically injected with a PT inline jerk pump, it's called the million mile pump for a reason. My friends all have newer electronically common rail injection diesels in their trucks and make lots more power than mine. They have had to spend multiple $$$$ thousands to replace their electronic pumps that failed and many sensors that throw check engine codes.
As A64 pilot said about having to replace high pressure injectors at 125,000 miles, they have had to also. The dealers are killing them on repairs and new parts every month. My truck has never been to the shop for engine or trans work. I took care of the killer dowel pin issue back in the 90's when I became aware of it. I'll take an older non common rail diesel any day and keep my older iron for as long as I can.
Don't get me wrong I like my i-phone and I loved my Z-06 Vette till I outgrew it.
Electronics are wonderful but I still love my old diesels.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar