Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 07:52   #106

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: Beware new yanmars

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Electronics will fail, and they fail at a much more rapid rate than mechanical components.
FWIW, a couple of anecdotes:

Our cruiser has one of the earliest electronically controlled marine diesels, a 260hp Volvo KAD44P-EDC built in 1997. High RPM (3900 at WOT), and a lot of power for a 3.6 liter engine. Not common-rail, but still a bit more efficient and a lot less smoky than mechanical diesels like our friend's Yanmar. Also more tolerant of running at either high or low power levels - we cruise at 18 knots when we need to, but the 44 is happy doing 6 knots at 1400 RPM most of the time.

We've had various mechanical/traditional problems over 16 years (belts/tensioners, alternator, seawater pump, exhaust mixing elbow, sterndrive, props etc), but no electronic failures. When the exhaust elbow's connection to the turbo began to come apart, electronics sensed the problem, and slowed the engine to limp mode, preventing what would have been much greater damage. 6,032 engine hours so far, cruising mainly the PNW coast, from the San Juans up to Glacier Bay.

Our 1998 truck has an electronically controlled Cummins ISB diesel. No problems with those electronics either.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 10:57   #107

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Is twice in 30 years a lot? It was twice too many times for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Boy, I wish that was true! We just experienced our 4th damage from lightning, and pretty much everyone I know around here has had lightning damage. A squall came through 2 days ago and wiped out 4 of the 10 boats in the anchorage. Clouds of black smoke peeling off mastheads…

Mark
There are lots of people out there who have won the lottery. That does not change the fact that winning the lottery is still very improbable.

But maybe some areas are indeed more prone to that.

I got my first "sealegs" with the French "Les Glenans" sailing school. That school has been around for a long time now (founded right after WW II) and operates quite a sizeable fleet of yachts. The other night I was just rereading the chapter on safety in their course book (which is basically my bible on everything sailing) and there it is mentioned that the Number of lightning strikes over their entire fleet, for their entire history is just one...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:13   #108

Which engine company has a Tier III marine diesel 125ish to 150ish HP that is not computer controlled?

I see plenty of Tier II engines but not Tier III. Maybe the companies have not updated their websites.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:27   #109

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
There are lots of people out there who have won the lottery. That does not change the fact that winning the lottery is still very improbable.

I got my first "sealegs" with the French "Les Glenans" sailing school. That school has been around for a long time now (founded right after WW II) and operates quite a sizeable fleet of yachts. The other night I was just rereading the chapter on safety in their course book (which is basically my bible on everything sailing) and there it is mentioned that the Number of lightning strikes over their entire fleet, for their entire history is just one...
There are indeed big differences in frequency of lightning strikes from one area to another. I know not about France, but here on the east coast of Australia strikes damage on boats is pretty common. In SE Asia, it is even more common. I believe that Florida has a high incidence, too.

It is something worth worrying about for many sailors. ze French, zey do not worry...

Jim
Old 23-11-2014, 13:53   #110

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

This is a map of lightning strike frequency for the globe. I agree that France and Switzerland is pretty free of lightning, but some of the primary cruising grounds of the US East Coast, Caribbean, Central and South America and Asia are pretty dense with lightning.

That area around Colombia and Panama that is bested only by Congo Africa is where we currently are.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Global_lightning_strikes.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	92225  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 21:22   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Do old diesels that have mechanical injection keep running during a lighting strike?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 02:43   #112

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Do old diesels that have mechanical injection keep running during a lighting strike?
Sometimes,, sometimes the wiring that goes to engine Fries, catches fire,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 04:39   #113

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Also, fuses can blow and starters can be damaged - alternators for sure, but basically they can be put back running pretty easily.

If the strike goes through the engine to ground, bearings and other internals can be damaged. This is more problematic.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 05:37   #114

Boat: Lagoon 450

Get onto Yanmars FB and media pages and let them know. Your voice here is the feedback they need.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 12:44   #115

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Will you be around to care?
Old 24-11-2014, 13:43   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I once took a open water course that was taught by this 80 year old captain that had spent the majority of this adult life out of port. Being in Florida, I asked him if he had ever been hit by lighting. He said "twice", first time I was in the cabin and it blew my eardrums out as well as out of the cabin. The next time I knew better, and staid in the cockpit- knocked me down then.
To this day I don't know if he was serious. But many people have survived direct hits, I think a sailboat would be an indirect hit.
Anyway, I have been told to keep the engine running during a thunderstorm, with the rational being that if lightening fries the electronics, that the engine will still run. Do not know the truth of this opinion.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 16:19   #117

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
They aren't hiding...

Mark
They SHOULD be...
Old 24-11-2014, 18:05   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
People, you can't escape change. Remember when motor vehicles replaced the horse? .
Nobody here remembers that....
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:35   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Nobody here remembers that....
I do
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12   #120

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
It that just so.
Now I'm wandering why I have to arrange for DNV surveyor to attend my ship next week to undergo annual surveys for, oh what was it called, oh yes, "International Air Pollution Prevention".
Apparently it is a MARPOL requirement, been around for some time.

What else do we get surveyed environmentally wise, sewage, oil, cargo residues, ballast water.

I take it that your boat has been surveyed for the above and passed muster.

But for a quick fix, lets get rid of all these nasty cargo ships, and we'll air freight everything in, I'm sure the conscientious consumer will gladly meet the hugely increased costs of all their imports, oil, food etc
Not only that, but look at all the places where you have to switch over to diesel fuel due to local regulations.

Lifelong career seafarers have gone to prison for violating anti pollution regulations, and shipping companies have paid many millions of dollars in penalties for violating or failure to comply with requirements and regulations. And meeting requirements costs almost as much as getting caught not meeting them. The shipping industry pays their dues to the environment in ways that most recreational boaters can't even imagine.

Tags
yanmar